Most Efficient Way To "Blink"

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I just crashed 9.0.1. stable with the first recursion error I  had in a
long time.

I was playing with to "blinking" animation.

using

send "blinkStart true" to me in 500 milliseconds

crashed the IDE.

Now I have this, but color doesn't change.

Anyone have a efficient recipe to "blink" any control?

In this case I changed to backgroundcolor property, but it could be any
property you want to turn off and on again until user takes action

*command*blinkStart pBool

# sent "true" when card opens;

# send "false" when user clicks it

*    if* pBool istrue*then*

*        repeat* 10times

*            if* pBool is"false"*then* *exit* *repeat*

*                set*thebackgroundcolorofgrc"start"to"158,58,77"

*                wait*1secondswithmessages

*                set*thebackgroundcolorofgrc"start"to"220,220,220"

*        end* *repeat*

*end* *if*

*    set*thebackgroundcolorofgrc"start"to"220,220,220"

*end*blinkStart

# to color does not change.

Re: Most Efficient Way To "Blink"

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
does this code crash it all the time or just one time?

On 10/06/2018 01:20 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> I just crashed 9.0.1. stable with the first recursion error I  had in a
> long time.

After much editing (can you possibly post text instead of lots of
asterisks?) I tried this and it works here, although if you really want
to see the blink you need another wait statement after the second
background color change. Otherwise you'll never see the second change.

But no IDE crash here.

On 10/6/18 10:47 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> After much editing (can you possibly post text instead of lots of
> asterisks?) I tried this and it works here, although if you really want
> to see the blink you need another wait statement after the second
> background color change. Otherwise you'll never see the second change.
>
> But no IDE crash here.

I am recently switched to Thunderbird for mail, it is entering the
asterisk in code.  Sorry about that.

 I will try the second "wait"

On 10/06/2018 07:38 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> I am recently switched to Thunderbird for mail, it is entering the
> asterisk in code.  Sorry about that.

Look in TBird Preferences at Account Settings | Composition & Addressing
and make sure 'Compose messages in HTML format' is unchecked. I think
that should fix it.

Or look at the Composition tab in File | Preferences and select the Send
Options... button. Either check 'Send messages as plain text if
possible' or add livecode.com to the Plain Text Domains panel.

Otherwise idk... I've been using TBird for years without that problem.

Re: Most Efficient Way To "Blink"

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Ooh that's cool! A per domain setting. I wonder if Apple Mail can do that??

Bob S