Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

I have plans to publish in spanish, some tutorials about
creating Motion Comics, using LiveCode.
The tutorial will be created in english, for testing and
review of developers in this platform. Then, translated.

These Motion Comics tutorials will be used as a gentle
and enjoyable introduction to the basics concepts of
programming.

Originally, I intended to create these tutorials only for kids
and young teens, but many teachers and friends have told
me that young adults and older grown ups would be
interested too, if I included more mature comics, among
the tutorials.

Every idea and suggestion about this project is welcome.
Already, I have asked the moderators and participants
of this website: http://comicbookplus.com/
about which characters and titles could be atractive
to each age group:

kids from 6-11
teens from 12- 16
young adults from 17-29
grown ups: 30 and older

Each tutorial would require that me (and some volunteers)
clean up and retouch all the panels of the history
chosen for the tutorial... so, if you have time to help
please, tell me so. :D

Many thanks in advance

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
Alejandro,

First of all, it's great news; I'm very excited to see some tutorials focused on motion comics.
I'd love to help, also; though, I'm not sure that my technical abilities are sufficient.
Yet, I'd like to give a shot and do whatever I can.

Best,

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Ender,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM,
you wrote:

> First of all, it's great news; I'm very excited to see
> some tutorials focused on motion comics.

Actually, motion comics is just the media to
learn programming with LiveCode. :)

> I'd love to help, also; though, I'm not sure that my
> technical abilities are sufficient.
> Yet, I'd like to give a shot and do whatever I can.

The essential skills are:

1) Learn how to separate an image from its background
For Gimp:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html
For Inkscape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1YL-JP8jc

2) Learn how to how to remove an object from an image
and restore the surrounding background:
For Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiePG0QC4AM

Did you have a title in which you would like to convert
in a motion comic?

In this free website: http://comicbookplus.com/
you could find thousands of titles, but some are
suitable only for adults. To download, you have
to request a membership, but everybody
could read them in the web browser.

Have a nice weekend! :)

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
Hm, I thought that the tutorials are gonna aim to code *motion comics* in LiveCode; animations, sprites and stuff.
Clearly, I misunderstood :)
Still, a promising project, especially to teach programming to youngsters.

~ Ender Nafi
~… together, we're smarter …~

On September 29, 2013 at 6:25:34 AM, Alejandro Tejada ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi Ender,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM,
you wrote:

> First of all, it's great news; I'm very excited to see
> some tutorials focused on motion comics.

Actually, motion comics is just the media to
learn programming with LiveCode. :)

> I'd love to help, also; though, I'm not sure that my
> technical abilities are sufficient.
> Yet, I'd like to give a shot and do whatever I can.

The essential skills are:

1) Learn how to separate an image from its background
For Gimp:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html
For Inkscape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1YL-JP8jc

2) Learn how to how to remove an object from an image
and restore the surrounding background:
For Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiePG0QC4AM

Did you have a title in which you would like to convert
in a motion comic?

In this free website: http://comicbookplus.com/
you could find thousands of titles, but some are
suitable only for adults. To download, you have
to request a membership, but everybody
could read them in the web browser.

Have a nice weekend! :)

Al

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Ender,

endernafi wrote
Hm, I thought that the tutorials are gonna aim to code *motion comics*
in LiveCode; animations, sprites and stuff. Clearly, I misunderstood :)
Still, a promising project, especially to teach programming to youngsters.
The Motion Comics tutorials will, for certain, use animation, sprites
and scripts.

When you wrote:
"I'd love to help, also; though, I'm not sure that my
technical abilities are sufficient. Yet, I'd like to give
a shot and do whatever I can. "

I thought that you were answering to this request:
"Each tutorial would require that me (and some volunteers)
clean up and retouch all the panels of the history
chosen for the tutorial... so, if you have time to help
please, tell me so."

The labor of converting comics books in sprites and clean
backgrounds is, certainly, time consuming but not
so difficult with current software. ;)

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
I have no experience in graphics & design,
but I can find my way around and do stuff enough for simple jobs.
It's time consuming for sure,
maybe I can lessen your burden by undertaking some of simple-to-do-but-still-time-consuming stuff.

I'm using photoshop & pixelmator, though.
I couldn't get accustomed to gimp.

Please, inform me about the process { [hidden email] };
hopefully, I may help to a degree.

~ Ender Nafi
~… together, we're smarter …~

On September 29, 2013 at 6:48:33 AM, Alejandro Tejada ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi Ender,

endernafi wrote

When you wrote:
"I'd love to help, also; though, I'm not sure that my
technical abilities are sufficient. Yet, I'd like to give
a shot and do whatever I can. "

I thought that you were answering to this request:
"Each tutorial would require that me (and some volunteers)
clean up and retouch all the panels of the history
chosen for the tutorial... so, if you have time to help
please, tell me so."

The labor of converting comics books in sprites and clean
backgrounds is, certainly, time consuming but not
so difficult with current software. ;)

Al

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Great! Many thanks. :)

Later today, I will send you
some images and explanations.

Al

endernafi wrote
I have no experience in graphics & design,
but I can find my way around and do stuff enough for simple jobs.
It's time consuming for sure,
maybe I can lessen your burden by undertaking some of simple-to-do-but-still-time-consuming stuff.

I'm using photoshop & pixelmator, though.
I couldn't get accustomed to gimp.

Please, inform me about the process;
hopefully, I may help to a degree.

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
I will start with this character: Leon the Lyin' Lion
from Charlton Comics.
This character was featured in Zoo Comics,
Funny Animals and Atomic Mouse.

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=15506

Just started dividing the panels in
separated images using this Gimp
script:
Divide Scanned Images
http://registry.gimp.org/node/22177

To use correctly this script, some
experimentation is required, but
the pages that I have tested
works really fine...
(although it creates some extra
images that must be deleted)

After I finished this process, then
these individual images will be traced
using Potrace or Inkscape.

Then, all volunteers will receive the
Comic book panels in two different formats
1) Bitmap
2) Vector graphic

In this way, volunteers could work in
the format and software of their choice.

Volunteer's tasks are:

1) separate the foreground characters
from its background

For Gimp:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html
For Inkscape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1YL-JP8jc

2) Seamlessy restore the background
For Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiePG0QC4AM

Endernafi, as soon I have separated the images and vectorized
the comic book's panels, you will receive a weblink to
download all the files.

Have a nice week!

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

Link to download all raw bitmap files for this Motion Comics tutorial:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3834621/LiveCode%20Motion%20Comic%20panels%20v001.zip

Still pending: converting these bitmaps in
vector files, using Potrace or Inkscape.

If you want to help to prepare these bitmap
for the Motion Comics tutorial, these are
volunteer's required tasks:

1) separate the foreground characters
from its background

For Gimp:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html
For Inkscape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1YL-JP8jc

2) Seamlessy restore the background
For Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiePG0QC4AM

Have a nice week! :D

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
narfstar, administrator of the website ComicBookPlus
wrote the following comment:
[snip]

The Grown ups here are very fond of Peter Wheat also.

Depending on where you want to go with it,
the pre-code horror books are very popular.

Books like Horrific and others appeal to the teens and adults.

Teen boys and adults are very fond of the Phantom Lady archives.

As far as "teen comics" go I am partial to Vicky.
Lots of action/motion in the stories.

After we complete the first tutorial, I will look for
characters and books that narfstar recommended,
looking for a suitable story for the tutorial.

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
completed:
* page28-00008
* page28-00007
* page28-00006

~ Ender Nafi
~… together, we're smarter …~

On October 1, 2013 at 9:48:16 AM, Alejandro Tejada ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi Ender,

Your file is a perfect example of the process! :D
Many Thanks for sending it.

> I'm sending you a simple one,
> just to be sure that we're on the same page.
> Is this what you had on your mind?
> I mean, do I need to extract …
> * stars,
> * speech bubble,
> * "the end" sign?

Yes, that is the way.
Separate the characters from the background,
leaving each element in a layer of his own.

> Simply, I need some parameters.
> There are images which contains *waves*, *boats*, *rocks*, …
> Should they all be separate layers?

At first, just separate the main elements, like the
characters, the speech bubble and the boat.

You could think of the frame in these terms:

How would look this background without the
characters in it?

Then, separate all elements that do not belong
to the background.

Most of the backgrounds are really plain and
simple, but extracting the characters from them,
is a very time consuming task. :o

> As a second question;
> are there any others besides me working on this images?
> If so, we should find a method to synchronize our efforts.
> A simple mail-chain could do it, I guess.
> One can send an e-mail stating
> "I'm starting with *page28-00008.jpg*" or "I'm done with
> *page28-00008.jpg*";
> so that anyone else won't duplicate same work.
> What do you think?

Yes, I like the idea of syncronizing our efforts.
Still now, only two persons are working on this
but, I hope that more became willing to participate
if we post frecuent updates of the progress in the
creation of this tutorial.

I will start for the first two pages: 25 and 26
you could keep working in 27 and 28.

Please, post a link to this xfc file in the mail list and the forum.
http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17323
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Motion-Comics-tutorial-for-LiveCode-td4670427.html

In this way, other will become interested in participating.

It's 2:47 am here, so its time for me to go to sleep.
Later, today, I will write to the mail list and the forum
asking for more volunteers.

Have a nice day!

Al

> Best,
>
> ~ Ender Nafi
>

> --
> Sent with Airmail
>
> On September 30, 2013 at 10:25:09 AM, Alejandro Tejada
> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> Hi Ender,
>
> The files are attached to this message.
> Have a nice week! :)
>
> Al

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
There are some remarkable intellects in this world.
I wrote this statement because of Dr. Paul Harrison, coder of Resynthesizer plugin for Gimp.
I've used many content-aware healing tools in my time
but I must say, none of them can compete with this one.
Give it a try…
It's really astonishing.

Back to the subject;

completed:
* page28-00008
* page28-00007
* page28-00006
* page28-00005

download link: http://tinyurl.com/q8vrkgo

It's a time-consuming task
and unfortunately I can't allocate full time because of my own projects;
so it's going slow
{ slow but steady, I hope :) }

Best,

~ Ender Nafi
~… together, we're smarter …~

On October 2, 2013 at 6:07:29 AM, Alejandro Tejada ([hidden email]) wrote:

Great! [double thumbs up]

Are you going to post your files in the mail list
and the forum?

Have a nice day!

Al

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Ender Nafi Elekcioglu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17323
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Motion-Comics-tutorial-for-LiveCode-td4670427.html
>
> In this way, other will become interested in participating.
>
> It's 2:47 am here, so its time for me to go to sleep.
> Later, today, I will write to the mail list and the forum
> asking for more volunteers.
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Al
>

>> Best,
>>
>> ~ Ender Nafi
>>

>> --
>> Sent with Airmail
>>
>> On September 30, 2013 at 10:25:09 AM, Alejandro Tejada
>> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ender,
>>
>> The files are attached to this message.
>> Have a nice week! :)
>>
>> Al

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

In this link, you could download the first frame of page 25,
sprites cutout is still in progress, but layering is complete

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLMUJXeDNQaEhXaVU

About the files edited by Ender, all images are really well done.
Congratulations Ender! :D

Ender made an excellent work with the halftone texture and
the sprite cutout.
Certainly, the GIMP plugin Resynthesizer  preserve the
halftones screens. Only have to be really careful, selecting the
best source for the halftone, to preserve the angle
and appearence.

These are the files that Ender edited:
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/af97027930a49cf32ae1a9cc76b552f420131002031044/723cbe2a1df533b5315284791315d92220131002031044/e46c3e

Barry is going to edit the frames of page 26.

In a latter stage, to create the vector files from these bitmaps,
we will follow these steps:

1) convert the frames in black and white
2) separate each object in a different layer
3) saving this file with a new name
4) using a duplicate of this new file, apply coloring
to the characters and background using similar
colors to original's halftone screens.

Have a nice day!

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

This zip file contains a folder with all images
of page 25. These images are 8 bit png
files with transparency. Optimized from
6 MB to just 1.3 MB

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLcXZiS0gzMHhOTFU/edit?usp=sharing

In a few hours, I will continue with frame 2 of page 26.

If you want to colaborate in the edition of all these bitmap files,
download all unedited bitmap files for this Motion Comics tutorial:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3834621/LiveCode%20Motion%20Comic%20panels%20v001.zip

and perform these tasks:

1) separate the foreground characters
from its background

For Gimp:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html
For Inkscape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1YL-JP8jc

2) Seamlessy restore the background
For Gimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiePG0QC4AM

This GIMP file is an example of an image in process of edition:

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

I have just uploaded the textures that I am using
with Resynthesizer to edit the characters out from
the background:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLeWk5RTJMUGpxU2s/edit?usp=sharing

Are you interesting in helping?
Then download these edited panels:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLcXZiS0gzMHhOTFU/edit?usp=sharing
These are all panels from page 25.

Just noticed that sometimes is really difficult to get GIMP working at full capacity
under Windows. If you are using Windows, you must install Python 2.7.x
before installing Gimp: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.5/

Notice: GIMP is not compatible with Python 3. For this reason,
you must install the lastest release of Python 2.

You could download a windows GIMP installer from this page:
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Here, you could download Resynthesizer:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/27986

Installation instructions are here:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/25219
There are 9 pages of comments in this pages, so if you have
a question about Resynthesizer, it was already answered
in these pages.

This is an excellent and eye opening tutorial:
http://www.schwarzvogel.de/resynth-tut-sa.shtml

This GIMP file is an example of a panel in process of edition:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLMUJXeDNQaEhXaVU

The final results are the png files from the first link of
this message.

Please, do not hesitate to ask if the tutorials about using
Resynthesizer does not work in your installation.

Notice, please, from this sprites used in this Motion Comics tutorial,
you will be able to make your own tutorial, not only about Motion Comics,
but Interactive Storytelling and Games.

A famous game franchise, a Billionare game franchise, could be
recreated easily using the capabilities of this platform.
Could you guess which franchise I am talking about?

Have a nice day!

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

From this link, you could enter a public Google Drive folder
with all files for this project:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9ja3Yvw8cHLc2lVbWduV1VVUDA&usp=sharing

Now, I am preparing the files edited by Ender to upload them
in the root of this folder. When all frames in a page are completed,
a new folder is created to store each frame and a zip file of this
folder is uploaded. In this way, everyone download a single
zip file of a compressed folder, but individual frames are available
for download, just in case that you need it.

Please, if you have any problem to download these files,
write back as soon as possible to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

enderNafi
Completed:

* page28-00008

* page28-00007

* page28-00006

* page28-00005

* page28-00004

* page28-00003

* page28-00002

* page28-00001

Download link: http://tinyurl.com/m2e9qvg

Unfortunately, my deadlines are getting closer;

so I don't know when -or sadly if- I can start to other pages :/

Best,

~ Ender Nafi

~... together, we're smarter ...~

`~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~  · . ·
 ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~´

*Fatih Batal*

*google +**   ' g+ <https://plus.google.com/117349652601335969518/>*
*facebook**   ' fb <https://www.facebook.com/fdbatal>*
*twitter   **   ' tw <http://twitter.com/#!/fdbatal>*
*
*
' ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ ·   .   · ~ · · ~ · · ~ · · ~ '

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> From this link, you could enter a public Google Drive folder
> with all files for this project:
>

> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9ja3Yvw8cHLc2lVbWduV1VVUDA&usp=sharing
>
> Now, I am preparing the files edited by Ender to upload them
> in the root of this folder. When all frames in a page are completed,
> a new folder is created to store each frame and a zip file of this
> folder is uploaded. In this way, everyone download a single
> zip file of a compressed folder, but individual frames are available
> for download, just in case that you need it.
>
> Please, if you have any problem to download these files,
> write back as soon as possible to fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Motion Comics tutorial for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Ender,

Many Thanks for editing the complete page!
I will upload all files to Google Drive's folder
after converting them to 8 bit png files.

Have a nice day!

Al