MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

I have buttons in a group. When I click any button, the mousedown message
is received by the button correctly but mouseup is received by card. Also I
believe mousewithin.

How can I get the button to be the target for all?

My script is in the stack

Thanks.

--
Kaveh Bazargan
Director

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

I’d start by double-checking that there is a mouseUp handler in the button. If there isn’t, then the mouseUp will move to the group… if no mouseUp in the group it will move to the card.

be well,
randy

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:10 AM, Kaveh Bazargan via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have buttons in a group. When I click any button, the mousedown message
> is received by the button correctly but mouseup is received by card. Also I
> believe mousewithin.
>
> How can I get the button to be the target for all?
>
> My script is in the stack
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Kaveh Bazargan
> Director
> River Valley Technologies
> @kaveh1000
> +44 7771 824 111
> www.rivervalleytechnologies.com

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

I feel a bit dumb. yes, there was an empty mouseup handler in the buttons.
So that is fixed.

Now for mousewithin...

Having mousewithin in the stack script does not work unless I put:

on mousewithin
  pass mousewithin
end mousewithin

in the button.

What is the explanation for that?

On 3 August 2017 at 12:55, Randy Hengst via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’d start by double-checking that there is a mouseUp handler in the
> button. If there isn’t, then the mouseUp will move to the group… if no
> mouseUp in the group it will move to the card.
>
> be well,
> randy
>
> > On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:10 AM, Kaveh Bazargan via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have buttons in a group. When I click any button, the mousedown message
> > is received by the button correctly but mouseup is received by card.
> Also I
> > believe mousewithin.
> >
> > How can I get the button to be the target for all?
> >
> > My script is in the stack
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > Kaveh Bazargan
> > Director
> > River Valley Technologies
> > @kaveh1000
> > +44 7771 824 111
> > www.rivervalleytechnologies.com

Kaveh Bazargan
Director
River Valley Technologies
@kaveh1000
+44 7771 824 111
www.rivervalleytechnologies.com

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

dunbarx
Hi.

This is an anomalous (in my opinion) behavior of the "mouseWithin" message. From the dictionary:

Note: If there is no mouseWithin handler in the target object's script, no mouseWithin message is sent, even if there is a mouseWithin handler in an object that's further along the message path.

Why this should be so is a mystery, but maybe someone from the team will chime in.

Craig Newman

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

dunbarx
This post was updated on .
>I feel a bit dumb. yes, there was an empty mouseup handler in the buttons.
>So that is fixed.

Be careful in that a newly created button will, by default, have an uncompiled mouseUp handler pre-installed. It is not "applied" as of yet, but its "text' appears in the script of the button. Such a construct is included as a head start for the most common handler in button scripts.

Craig Newman

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

On 3 August 2017 at 14:47, dunbarx via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I feel a bit dumb. yes, there was an empty mouseup handler in the buttons.
> So that is fixed.
>

> Be careful in that a newly created button will, by default, have an
> uncompiled mouseUp handler pre-installed. It is not "applied" as of yet,
> but
> its "text' appears in the script of the button. Such a construct is
> included
> as a head start for the most common handler in button scripts.

yes, that was the problem craig. So need to remove that manually...

> Craig Newman

Kaveh Bazargan
Director
River Valley Technologies
@kaveh1000
+44 7771 824 111
www.rivervalleytechnologies.com

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 5:54 AM, dunbarx via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note: If there is no mouseWithin handler in the target object's script, no
> mouseWithin message is sent, even if there is a mouseWithin handler in an
> object that's further along the message path.
>
> Why this should be so is a mystery, but maybe someone from the team will
> chime in.

I've always assumed that that and similar case was due to the performance
penalty for checking and sending messages on older machines; I think that
mouseWithin dates to hypercard which ran on 8mhz 16 bit processors . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

dunbarx
>yes, that was the problem craig. So need to remove that manually...

Well, maybe, if you accidentally compiled that script. But all new buttons contain the uncompiled "head start" handler, so you can ignore them as a rule. I do, but have, now and then accidentally compiled, and had to track down issues like you did.

Craig

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

This changed in LC 9dp8 and default handlers are no longer inserted, to
avoid just this issue.

On August 3, 2017 10:45:06 AM dunbarx via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>yes, that was the problem craig. So need to remove that manually...
>
> Well, maybe, if you accidentally compiled that script. But all new buttons
> contain the uncompiled "head start" handler, so you can ignore them as a
> rule. I do, but have, now and then accidentally compiled, and had to track
> down issues like you did.
>
> Craig

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

> On 3 Aug 2017, at 10:54 pm, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Note: If there is no mouseWithin handler in the target object's script, no
> mouseWithin message is sent, even if there is a mouseWithin handler in an
> object that's further along the message path.
>
> Why this should be so is a mystery, but maybe someone from the team will
> chime in.

This is the case with the idle handler as well. These are very inefficient and would basically bog down the message path if they traversed the it for every object on every cycle. They probably should be deprecated.

A better mouseWithin would be something like this:

local sMouseWithin = false

on mouseEnter
   put true into sMouseWithin
end mouseEnter

on mouseLeave
   put false into sMouseWithin
end mouseLeave

Or just handle mouseMove instead of mouseWithin.

Cheers

Monte

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A better mouseWithin would be something like this:
>
> local sMouseWithin = false
>
> on mouseEnter
>    put true into sMouseWithin
> end mouseEnter

that would take some serious work on mouseEnter and mouseLeave, I think.
I've been finding them "less than reliable" (particularly, mouseEnter seems
to be able to fire in a new group in a way that prevents mouseLeave from
hitting the old when the mouse its moving quickly)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 6:16 am, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> They probably should be deprecated.

I have started some internal discussion about this. There’s mouseStillDown as well. I think they shouldn’t be in the handler list as they may not be deprecated but are certainly not recommended. We will see what Mark thinks when he’s back from his G&T drinking holiday ;-) or not as he seems to be responding to lots of things anyway!

Cheers

Monte

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

> Monte wrote:
> ... G&T drinking holiday ;-)

Practising Geometry & Trigonometry and drinking??

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 6:38 am, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Monte wrote:
>> ... G&T drinking holiday ;-)
>
> Practising Geometry & Trigonometry and drinking??

Yeah I know… crazy mathematicians! What can you do.

Cheers

Monte

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

Now we know how new math came to be.

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 13:53 , Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 4 Aug 2017, at 6:38 am, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Monte wrote:
>>> ... G&T drinking holiday ;-)
>>
>> Practising Geometry & Trigonometry and drinking??
>
> Yeah I know… crazy mathematicians! What can you do.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 1:38 PM, hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Monte wrote:
> > ... G&T drinking holiday ;-)

tsk, tsk.

Alcohol and math don't mix:  don't drink and derive!

[*duck*]

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

Erdős is considered one of the most prolific mathematicians of the 20th century.

His most famous quote is 'a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems'.

He drank a lot of coffee.

He also took a lot of amphetamines.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

On 08/03/2017 02:58 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:

> tsk, tsk.
>
> Alcohol and math don't mix:  don't drink and derive!

They do, but then you end up with fuzzy logic.

Re: MouseDown sent to button in group, but MouseUp sent to card

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/03/2017 02:58 PM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:
>
> tsk, tsk.
>>
>> Alcohol and math don't mix:  don't drink and derive!
>>

> They do, but then you end up with fuzzy logic.
>
> Or the swine and coswine functions, which came when a group at a math
convention, with some help from Bachus, started playing with trigonometry
and the unit square (rather than circle or hyperbola).

It turned out that many of the basic relations shared by trig and h-trig
functions still applied . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462