Multiple Threads

Bob Sneidar-2
So I think I've isolated why it is that virtually every post on this list ends up creating multiple threads in my email application. Lots of people are *STILL* using [hidden email]. Because of this I start reading the replies to a post before I ever see the original issue.

I know I cannot ever get the digest users to use the list, or the list users to start using the digest so that is what it is. But can those of you who still use [hidden email] please Please *PLEASE* stop that and start using [hidden email]? PLEASE! Thank you.

Re: Multiple Threads

Richard Gaskin
Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > So I think I've isolated why it is that virtually every post on this
 > list ends up creating multiple threads in my email application. Lots
 > of people are *STILL* using use-revolution at lists.runrev.com.
 > Because of this I start reading the replies to a post before I ever
 > see the original issue.
 >
 > I know I cannot ever get the digest users to use the list, or the
 > list users to start using the digest so that is what it is. But can
 > those of you who still use use-revolution at lists.runrev.com please
 > Please *PLEASE* stop that and start using use-livecode at
 > lists.runrev.com? PLEASE! Thank you.

<oldManRant>
Whem I was a kid we had to have half a dozen different email accounts
because CompuServe, GENIE, AOL, and my few friends at university using
that experimental thing they were calling "Internet" couldn't send mail
to one another.  Just be glad you can receive email in a single place at
all.
</oldManRant>

But seriously, I've come to appreciate that no matter how many RFCs are
written, no matter the best intentions of the programmers of email
clients and their users, inevitably both software and people will
operate outside of ideal guidelines.

See:
<https://manchesternlpn.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/user-experience.jpg>

:)

People do what people do.  Somewhere through the years I just adopted
the view that the only person I can rely on to manage my In Box is me.
And even then the person responsible for it is doing a lousy job. :)

Re: Multiple Threads

[-hh]
I use Nabble, because the display is very good there. And there is also a correct date and time sorting within threads. Now I saw, that pipermail (perhaps you use that or similar) is sorting in my messages wrong by date.

I came to the list via use-livecode.
Perhaps could you initiate to move the runrev-list at Nabble to a livecode-list?
If that could solve the problem (I'm not sure)?

Bob Sneidar-2 wrote
So I think I've isolated why it is that virtually every post on this list ends up creating multiple threads in my email application. Lots of people are *STILL* using [hidden email]. Because of this I start reading the replies to a post before I ever see the original issue.

I know I cannot ever get the digest users to use the list, or the list users to start using the digest so that is what it is. But can those of you who still use [hidden email] please Please *PLEASE* stop that and start using [hidden email]? PLEASE! Thank you.

Re: Multiple Threads

Lyn Teyla
Bob Sneidar wrote:

> So I think I've isolated why it is that virtually every post on this list ends up creating multiple threads in my email application. Lots of people are *STILL* using [hidden email]. Because of this I start reading the replies to a post before I ever see the original issue.

Given that the company has changed its name to LiveCode Ltd and its corporate domain to livecode.com, even the @lists.runrev.com portion of the address seems rather outdated and potentially confusing.

Here’s a straightforward solution that LiveCode Ltd could implement:

1. Move the mailing list to [hidden email].

2. Remove the existing email aliases/forwarding setup on [hidden email].

3. Set up an autoresponse for both [hidden email] and [hidden email] that says something like this:

"Thank you for sending an email to [hidden email]. Our mailing list email has changed to [hidden email]. Please resend your message (and all future list messages) to that address."

Bam! Bob’s multiple-thread issue is solved, and any potential confusion concerning the use of "runrev" is eliminated.

Lyn

Re: Multiple Threads

Dave Kilroy
Bob, if you could send your email again, this time somehow escaping the email or domain names that nabble turns into 'hiddenmail' links, then I would have a better idea of what you're asking for :)

Peter M. Brigham

Re: Multiple Threads

Klaus major-k
Hi Dave,

this is what Bob wrote:

> > but can those of you who still use use-revolution at lists.runrev.com please
> > Please *PLEASE* stop that and start using use-livecode at
> > lists.runrev.com?

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Multiple Threads

Bob Sneidar-2
I post this with a grin on my face. The proposition that one shouldn't try to get people to behave differently on the grounds that you can't succeed with everyone is like telling a fisherman that because he cannot catch all of the fish in the lake, that it's best he not even put the boat in the water. :-)

Well hopefully reasonable people when they see that they are causing some difficulty for others will think, "Oh crap I didn't know that was happening. I'll fix that right now!" But you are right in that some will simply keep doing what they have always done, because that is the way they have always done it. That BTW is the queen mother of all non sequiters. LOL!

Bob S

On Apr 20, 2016, at 09:04 , Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

But seriously, I've come to appreciate that no matter how many RFCs are written, no matter the best intentions of the programmers of email clients and their users, inevitably both software and people will operate outside of ideal guidelines.

See:
<https://manchesternlpn.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/user-experience.jpg>

:)

People do what people do.  Somewhere through the years I just adopted the view that the only person I can rely on to manage my In Box is me. And even then the person responsible for it is doing a lousy job. :)

Re: Multiple Threads

[-hh]
Impressing statement. Now you will simply switch to
Nabble (or similar) where the date sorting is correct?

Bob Sneidar-2 wrote
I post this with a grin on my face. The proposition that one shouldn't try to get people to behave differently on the grounds that you can't succeed with everyone is like telling a fisherman that because he cannot catch all of the fish in the lake, that it's best he not even put the boat in the water. :-)

Well hopefully reasonable people when they see that they are causing some difficulty for others will think, "Oh crap I didn't know that was happening. I'll fix that right now!" But you are right in that some will simply keep doing what they have always done, because that is the way they have always done it. That BTW is the queen mother of all non sequiters. LOL!

Re: Multiple Threads

Bob Sneidar-2

On Apr 20, 2016, at 16:51 , Lyn Teyla <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Bob Sneidar wrote:

So I think I've isolated why it is that virtually every post on this list ends up creating multiple threads in my email application. Lots of people are *STILL* using [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. Because of this I start reading the replies to a post before I ever see the original issue.

Given that the company has changed its name to LiveCode Ltd and its corporate domain to livecode.com<http://livecode.com/>, even the @lists.runrev.com<http://lists.runrev.com/> portion of the address seems rather outdated and potentially confusing.

Here’s a straightforward solution that LiveCode Ltd could implement:

1. Move the mailing list to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.

2. Remove the existing email aliases/forwarding setup on [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.

3. Set up an autoresponse for both [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> and [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> that says something like this:

"Thank you for sending an email to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. Our mailing list email has changed to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. Please resend your message (and all future list messages) to that address."

Bam! Bob’s multiple-thread issue is solved, and any potential confusion concerning the use of "runrev" is eliminated.

Lyn

Brilliant! I'll take 2 of them! Maybe even 3! :-)