Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi everyone....

I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code...... but I
really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I embark
on this journey? Trevor? Mark?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

On 6/18/2018 8:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi everyone....
>
> I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code...... but I
> really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
> making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I embark
> on this journey? Trevor? Mark?

I have NO idea how to modify a Datagrid for flexible row heights for a
table view, but I could really really really use such an enhancement as
well!!!

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
10-4 ......good to hear. def going on github when i am done....i don't need
it super urgent, but sooner than later. I've hacked around in the library
before, i hope to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/18/2018 8:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> > Hi everyone....
> >
> > I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code......
> but I
> > really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
> > making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I
> embark
> > on this journey? Trevor? Mark?
> >

> I have NO idea how to modify a Datagrid for flexible row heights for a
> table view, but I could really really really use such an enhancement as
> well!!!

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Isn't that the difference between a form datagrid and a table datagrid? Why not just create a form datagrid and control the heights programmatically? Or do you need the row heights to be user manipulated? I saw an example a long time ago of a form style datagrid where one of the buttons in the form template expanded and collapsed the row.

Bob S

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 17:39 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone....
>
> I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code...... but I
> really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
> making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I embark
> on this journey? Trevor? Mark?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Bob, yeah those are standard features of the form view.... but i need
flexible rows in table view..... which do not work out of the box.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Isn't that the difference between a form datagrid and a table datagrid?
> Why not just create a form datagrid and control the heights
> programmatically? Or do you need the row heights to be user manipulated? I
> saw an example a long time ago of a form style datagrid where one of the
> buttons in the form template expanded and collapsed the row.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jun 18, 2018, at 17:39 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone....
> >
> > I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code......
> but I
> > really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
> > making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I
> embark
> > on this journey? Trevor? Mark?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
To be specific, I would like to see a added feature to the "table" mode
of the DataGrid where the row height for each individual rows is set to
the max(formattedheight) of the contents of the visible columns for that
specific row. So if a dataGrid has 3 visible columns and for row 1 the
height of the contents of each of the 3 columns was 1 line, the row
height for row 1 is set to 1 line. if row 2 column 3 had contents that
was 3 lines high (or 42px height or whatever) and col 1 & 2 were less,
then row's height is set to 3 lines high and so on.

On 6/18/2018 8:57 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:

> On 6/18/2018 8:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi everyone....
>>
>> I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code...... but I
>> really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
>> making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I embark
>> on this journey? Trevor? Mark?
>>
> I have NO idea how to modify a Datagrid for flexible row heights for a
> table view, but I could really really really use such an enhancement as
> well!!!

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
thats exactly what I mean...and while thinking about it ...... there is
already a significant performance hit with having to calculate all rows in
order to know how to scroll through the rows......... the scrollbar works
based on equal  row sizes .....  so i will have to find a workaround for
that ... which is probably the reason why the feature is not there in the
first place. .. i don't think i have much choice though.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> To be specific, I would like to see a added feature to the "table" mode
> of the DataGrid where the row height for each individual rows is set to
> the max(formattedheight) of the contents of the visible columns for that
> specific row. So if a dataGrid has 3 visible columns and for row 1 the
> height of the contents of each of the 3 columns was 1 line, the row
> height for row 1 is set to 1 line. if row 2 column 3 had contents that
> was 3 lines high (or 42px height or whatever) and col 1 & 2 were less,
> then row's height is set to 3 lines high and so on.
>
> On 6/18/2018 8:57 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> > On 6/18/2018 8:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> >> Hi everyone....
> >>
> >> I'm willing to go into the weeds and work with the library code......
> but I
> >> really need flexible row heights for a table datagrid.  Has anyone tried
> >> making that modification before?  Any last words of wisdom before I
> embark
> >> on this journey? Trevor? Mark?
> >>
> > I have NO idea how to modify a Datagrid for flexible row heights for a
> > table view, but I could really really really use such an enhancement as
> > well!!!

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Tom,

I haven’t done much of anything with the datagrid, but I am
wondering what happens if one of the cells in your row
has an image in it? Will the row resize to be able to show
the minimum height of the image?  If so, that might be
a work around for you.

Good luck,

Rick

On 6/19/2018 4:52 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I haven’t done much of anything with the datagrid, but I am
> wondering what happens if one of the cells in your row
> has an image in it? Will the row resize to be able to show
> the minimum height of the image?  If so, that might be
> a work around for you.

 Unfortunately, the Datagrid row height in "Table" mode does not resize
with contents whether a cell contains an Image, text, or whatever. Rows
are all of equal height in pixels that can be set by the developer.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to cut it
for my needs in applications where performance matters.  Datagrid is built
using custom properties.  which are way way way slower than accessing
variables  i haven't tested in a while but last i did it was orrders of
magnitude slower. that is its major bottleneck, and i think i have to move
away from moving the LC grid for my needs.

So i think i need to make my own grid solution that covers both different
sized rows, better performance, and no without all the duplication of data..

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/19/2018 4:52 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I haven’t done much of anything with the datagrid, but I am
> > wondering what happens if one of the cells in your row
> > has an image in it? Will the row resize to be able to show
> > the minimum height of the image?  If so, that might be
> > a work around for you.
> >
>  Unfortunately, the Datagrid row height in "Table" mode does not resize
> with contents whether a cell contains an Image, text, or whatever. Rows
> are all of equal height in pixels that can be set by the developer.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Wondering if a widget would work for this. The tree widget doesn’t to a great job with extremely large data sets though.

Thanks,
Brian

Tom Glod wrote:

 > Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to
 > cut it for my needs in applications where performance matters.
 >  Datagrid is built using custom properties.  which are way way way
 > slower than accessing variables  i haven't tested in a while but last
 > i did it was orrders of magnitude slower.

I would be interested in seeing those tests.  Vars are much faster than
fields, and still faster than custom props but much less so.

I would imagine the bigger bottleneck is with rendering so many nested
groups of objects.

All that said, if you know your total size will not exceed 32k px it's
easy enough to use one group populated with row groups copied in as needed.

But if you need to go beyond 32k px you'll find the geometry becomes
unpredictable with the integer limit.  For that you'd need to replicate
Trevor's hard work in virtualizing what's on screen vs what's in memory,
and handling the scrollbar via script rather than letting the engine
handle it.  With all that work it may be simple to fork the existing DG
if needed.

But either is a bit of work, so I would think time spent isolating the
true bottleneck first would be time well spent.

Please let us know what you find.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
And don't forget that the last piece of the AR improvement hasn't landed
yet which will also improve DG performance.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:14 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Glod wrote:
>
> > Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to
> > cut it for my needs in applications where performance matters.
> >  Datagrid is built using custom properties.  which are way way way
> > slower than accessing variables  i haven't tested in a while but last
> > i did it was orrders of magnitude slower.
>
> I would be interested in seeing those tests.  Vars are much faster than
> fields, and still faster than custom props but much less so.
>
> I would imagine the bigger bottleneck is with rendering so many nested
> groups of objects.
>
> All that said, if you know your total size will not exceed 32k px it's
> easy enough to use one group populated with row groups copied in as needed.
>
> But if you need to go beyond 32k px you'll find the geometry becomes
> unpredictable with the integer limit.  For that you'd need to replicate
> Trevor's hard work in virtualizing what's on screen vs what's in memory,
> and handling the scrollbar via script rather than letting the engine handle
> it.  With all that work it may be simple to fork the existing DG if needed.
>
> But either is a bit of work, so I would think time spent isolating the
> true bottleneck first would be time well spent.
>
> Please let us know what you find.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks for looking into the matter.

We currently use a control to allow the user to adjust the DataGrid row
height (which of course changes all rows heights). While inelegant, it
does let the user expand the view of a row where one or more cells have
a lot of content. Variable row height would have been a more elegant
addition. Perhaps LC will add it to the DataGrid for "DataGrid 3" some day.

On 7/11/2018 11:22 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:

> Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to cut it
> for my needs in applications where performance matters.  Datagrid is built
> using custom properties.  which are way way way slower than accessing
> variables  i haven't tested in a while but last i did it was orrders of
> magnitude slower. that is its major bottleneck, and i think i have to move
> away from moving the LC grid for my needs.
>
> So i think i need to make my own grid solution that covers both different
> sized rows, better performance, and no without all the duplication of data..
>

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/19/2018 4:52 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> I haven’t done much of anything with the datagrid, but I am
>>> wondering what happens if one of the cells in your row
>>> has an image in it? Will the row resize to be able to show
>>> the minimum height of the image?  If so, that might be
>>> a work around for you.
>>>
>>  Unfortunately, the Datagrid row height in "Table" mode does not resize
>> with contents whether a cell contains an Image, text, or whatever. Rows
>> are all of equal height in pixels that can be set by the developer.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi folks, thanks for all your input.   Just to be clear, I am not
re-creating a whole datagrid solution.  .... Trevors DG solution is so
awesome and flexible and works really great for so many things ... but its
awesomeness came at a cost.  For me I have very few things to think about
.... the biggest challenge will be the handler to handle off-screen drawing
and scrolling...but I have some good ideas there I hope.    I have
particular advantages in my case

1, the upcoming the AR Rendering improvements for nested groups
2. not using custom properties
3. no copying of data .... all read directly from variables
4. 3 or 4 columns per row max
5. <  8 - 10 controls max per row (only 1 or 2 text)
6. The dg sends a lot of messages and sets and gets a lot of properties in
order to be a general solution with all of its awesome features. No need
for that here..
7.it does not have to be a general solution applicable to other things.
just the content types present in my application.  It will work for other
things and other developers, but I don't have to build features for them to
be able to adapt it.

Cheers

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for looking into the matter.
>
> We currently use a control to allow the user to adjust the DataGrid row
> height (which of course changes all rows heights). While inelegant, it
> does let the user expand the view of a row where one or more cells have
> a lot of content. Variable row height would have been a more elegant
> addition. Perhaps LC will add it to the DataGrid for "DataGrid 3" some day.
>
> On 7/11/2018 11:22 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> > Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to cut
> it
> > for my needs in applications where performance matters.  Datagrid is
> built
> > using custom properties.  which are way way way slower than accessing
> > variables  i haven't tested in a while but last i did it was orrders of
> > magnitude slower. that is its major bottleneck, and i think i have to
> move
> > away from moving the LC grid for my needs.
> >
> > So i think i need to make my own grid solution that covers both different
> > sized rows, better performance, and no without all the duplication of
> data..
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> >>  Unfortunately, the Datagrid row height in "Table" mode does not resize
> >> with contents whether a cell contains an Image, text, or whatever. Rows
> >> are all of equal height in pixels that can be set by the developer.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Yes I agree, before updating a datagrid, lock the screen. Performance is much improved. Also make sure no property inspectors, script editor or message box is open while benchmarking.

Bob S

> On Jul 11, 2018, at 21:14 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tom Glod wrote:
>
> > Update on this ......  I'm coming to realize that dg isn't going to
> > cut it for my needs in applications where performance matters.
> >  Datagrid is built using custom properties.  which are way way way
> > slower than accessing variables  i haven't tested in a while but last
> > i did it was orrders of magnitude slower.
>
> I would be interested in seeing those tests.  Vars are much faster than fields, and still faster than custom props but much less so.
>
> I would imagine the bigger bottleneck is with rendering so many nested groups of objects.

Re: Must have flexible row height for Datagrid Table

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Or use a form datagrid! The only place this is an issue is with table grids.

Bob S