MySQL Connection error

Alan Golub
I've been toying around with the Database Query Builder lately, thinking
about writing a tutorial for new users. I've used it in the past with
PostgreSQL 8, connecting to localhost without any problems. But for the sake
of a tutorial, I thought I'd go with MySQL, which seems to be far more
popular, and for Mac OS X at least, much easier to install now that MySQL AB
provides native OS X installers.

But I can't seem to connect to MySQL from DQB. I've checked and double
checked the host, user name, password, database name, and port number, all
without success. I keep getting the following error message:

"There was an error in connecting to the database. Please check that the
connection fields are correct. Revdb error: Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server, consider upgrading MySQL
client."

The client fields are definitely correct (I'm using them to connect to the
server from other GUI MySQL tools). I'm using Revolution Studio 2.6 and
MySQL 4.1.13 on Tiger 10.4.2.

Any thoughts or workarounds?

Thanks-
Alan Golub

Re: MySQL Connection error

Revinfo1155

Re: MySQL Connection error

gcbrackett
This is a result of Tiger using MySQL 4.1, and there are several
workarounds on the MySQL site at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/
old-client.html.  Here's the beginning of the article at that location:

" MySQL 4.1 and up uses an authentication protocol based on a
password hashing algorithm that is incompatible with that used by
older clients. If you upgrade the server to 4.1, attempts to connect
to it with an older client may fail with the following message:

     shell> mysql
     Client does not support authentication protocol requested
     by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

I used the second workaround (ref: UPDATE and FLUSH PRIVILEGES) with
success.

George

On Jul 30, 2005, at 10:11 PM, Alan Golub wrote:

[...]

Ken Ray
On 8/1/05 2:48 PM, "George Brackett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "There was an error in connecting to the database. Please check that the
> connection fields are correct. Revdb error: Client does not support
> authentication protocol requested by server, consider upgrading MySQL
> client."
>
> The client fields are definitely correct (I'm using them to connect
> to the
> server from other GUI MySQL tools). I'm using Revolution Studio 2.6 and
> MySQL 4.1.13 on Tiger 10.4.2.
>
> Any thoughts or workarounds?

Yes, we ran into this just recently. You need to change the password that is
stored in the DB to the "old" (pre-4.1) format for compatiblity with
everybody. This is the syntax at the mysql prompt (using "tempUser" as the
user name, "localhost" as the host, and "mypass" for the password):

  set password for "tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass");

And if done through the shell in Rev, do this (uses the root user with no
password and a database called "tempDB"):

  get shell("/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --user='root' --password=''
--database='tempDB' --execute='set password for
"tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass")')

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: MySQL Connection error

Alan Golub
On 8/1/05 4:00 PM, "Ken Ray" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, we ran into this just recently. You need to change the password that is
> stored in the DB to the "old" (pre-4.1) format for compatiblity with
> everybody. This is the syntax at the mysql prompt (using "tempUser" as the
> user name, "localhost" as the host, and "mypass" for the password):
>
>   set password for "tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass");

I'll need to wait until tonight to run this solution from home, but I just
want to make sure I 'get it.'

Ok, so for each user accessing the 4.1 or later database, changing/setting
the password via the OLD_PASSWORD() function stores the password in a manner
compliant with post-4.0 versions of the server, thus allowing seamless
(hopefully) access to the db from Rev?

Thanks, Ken!

Re: MySQL Connection error

Ken Ray
On 8/1/05 3:25 PM, "Alan Golub" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/1/05 4:00 PM, "Ken Ray" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, we ran into this just recently. You need to change the password that is
>> stored in the DB to the "old" (pre-4.1) format for compatiblity with
>> everybody. This is the syntax at the mysql prompt (using "tempUser" as the
>> user name, "localhost" as the host, and "mypass" for the password):
>>
>>   set password for "tempUser"@"localhost"=OLD_PASSWORD("mypass");
>
> I'll need to wait until tonight to run this solution from home, but I just
> want to make sure I 'get it.'
>
> Ok, so for each user accessing the 4.1 or later database, changing/setting
> the password via the OLD_PASSWORD() function stores the password in a manner
> compliant with post-4.0 versions of the server, thus allowing seamless
> (hopefully) access to the db from Rev?

Yup! You got it!

> Thanks, Ken!

No problem...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: MySQL Connection - Problem Solved + Additional Info

Alan Golub
Ken's solution worked like a charm and I'm back to work!

For those interested, I did some research on the background of this problem,
and the explanation is provided in the MySQL online manual, starting here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/password-hashing.html

With explanation of the workarounds here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html

One potential problem pointed out is that OLD_PASSWORD() may one day be
deprecated. Hopefully by then most affected third-party clients, like Rev,
will have upgraded to a client library that supports the new authentication
protocol.

Alan Golub
Golub & Isabel, P.C.