Quantcast

Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
I pumped out a 32-bit Mac standalone from my Char Ref stack and

released it through MacUpdate as a freebie, and have had a series of
e-mails from

someone called "Artie" who says that the standalone (886 pixels high)
won't fit on his

Mac Laptop that has a screen res of 2880 x 1880.

This seems odd to say the least.

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
compensate for vision impairment?

~Roger

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I pumped out a 32-bit Mac standalone from my Char Ref stack and
>
> released it through MacUpdate as a freebie, and have had a series of
> e-mails from
>
> someone called "Artie" who says that the standalone (886 pixels high)
> won't fit on his
>
> Mac Laptop that has a screen res of 2880 x 1880.
>
> This seems odd to say the least.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Roger,

I think you have hit upon the real problem,
and the correct solution. If he is looking at
 his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
fit at all properly on the screen.

For my everyday use I usually have my screen
set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
the small text.  When I work on an app
I always switch to 1920 by 1200.

Good catch!

Rick

That sounds like the answer

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
> compensate for vision impairment?
>
> ~Roger
>
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I pumped out a 32-bit Mac standalone from my Char Ref stack and
>>
>> released it through MacUpdate as a freebie, and have had a series of
>> e-mails from
>>
>> someone called "Artie" who says that the standalone (886 pixels high)
>> won't fit on his
>>
>> Mac Laptop that has a screen res of 2880 x 1880.
>>
>> This seems odd to say the least.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
My application is 728 high. This covers 99% of users. I know that you’re not releasing it for Windows, but there are Windows users with 11” screens. If the OS reports screen resolution < 800 I hide the Taskbar as well.

Peter Bogdanoff

On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I think you have hit upon the real problem,
> and the correct solution. If he is looking at
> his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
> or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
> fit at all properly on the screen.
>
> For my everyday use I usually have my screen
> set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
> the small text.  When I work on an app
> I always switch to 1920 by 1200.
>
> Good catch!
>
> Rick
>

> That sounds like the answer
>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
>> compensate for vision impairment?
>>
>> ~Roger
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I pumped out a 32-bit Mac standalone from my Char Ref stack and
>>>
>>> released it through MacUpdate as a freebie, and have had a series of
>>> e-mails from
>>>
>>> someone called "Artie" who says that the standalone (886 pixels high)
>>> won't fit on his
>>>
>>> Mac Laptop that has a screen res of 2880 x 1880.
>>>
>>> This seems odd to say the least.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
Personally I don't think "Artie" "knows his arse from hit t*t" . . . .
and just as soon as I get my sweaty paws on my wife's MacBook Air,
running 10.12.4 I will be able to tell him the difference, tactfully, of
course, you know me :P

Richmond.

On 4/4/17 3:06 pm, Roger Eller via use-livecode wrote:

> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
> compensate for vision impairment?
>
> ~Roger
>
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I pumped out a 32-bit Mac standalone from my Char Ref stack and
>>
>> released it through MacUpdate as a freebie, and have had a series of
>> e-mails from
>>
>> someone called "Artie" who says that the standalone (886 pixels high)
>> won't fit on his
>>
>> Mac Laptop that has a screen res of 2880 x 1880.
>>
>> This seems odd to say the least.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
OK: I'm off to "prune" my app :)

Richmond.

On 4/4/17 7:45 pm, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:

> My application is 728 high. This covers 99% of users. I know that you’re not releasing it for Windows, but there are Windows users with 11” screens. If the OS reports screen resolution < 800 I hide the Taskbar as well.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
>

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> I think you have hit upon the real problem,
>> and the correct solution. If he is looking at
>> his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
>> or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
>> fit at all properly on the screen.
>>
>> For my everyday use I usually have my screen
>> set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
>> the small text.  When I work on an app
>> I always switch to 1920 by 1200.
>>
>> Good catch!
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> That sounds like the answer
>>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
>>> compensate for vision impairment?
>>>
>>> ~Roger

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
"Artie" says:

"I wonder if, suspect, actually, that this has something to do with my
Retina screen."

I have no access to a retina screen, so would be grateful if anyone who
has would go to the MacUpdate website and
download my "CHAR REF" standalone and see what happens.

Richmond.

On 4/4/17 7:45 pm, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:

> My application is 728 high. This covers 99% of users. I know that you’re not releasing it for Windows, but there are Windows users with 11” screens. If the OS reports screen resolution < 800 I hide the Taskbar as well.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
>

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> I think you have hit upon the real problem,
>> and the correct solution. If he is looking at
>> his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
>> or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
>> fit at all properly on the screen.
>>
>> For my everyday use I usually have my screen
>> set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
>> the small text.  When I work on an app
>> I always switch to 1920 by 1200.
>>
>> Good catch!
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> That sounds like the answer
>>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
>>> compensate for vision impairment?
>>>
>>> ~Roger

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
"Artie" just sent me this:

"I wonder if this will give you a clue, Richmond...

A while back I ran into a problem wherein I all of a sudden couldn't
save screenshots to my Butler pasteboards until its developer explained
that Retina screens have three times as many pixels as regular screens,
so screenshots are three times larger, and I needed to triple the
allowable size limit of my pasteboards."

To which I replied:

"No: it doesn't tell me anything, but it probably will tell one or two
of my "Mac Mage" friends, so I shall pass this on"

Richmond.

On 4/4/17 7:45 pm, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:

> My application is 728 high. This covers 99% of users. I know that you’re not releasing it for Windows, but there are Windows users with 11” screens. If the OS reports screen resolution < 800 I hide the Taskbar as well.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
>

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> I think you have hit upon the real problem,
>> and the correct solution. If he is looking at
>> his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
>> or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
>> fit at all properly on the screen.
>>
>> For my everyday use I usually have my screen
>> set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
>> the small text.  When I work on an app
>> I always switch to 1920 by 1200.
>>
>> Good catch!
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> That sounds like the answer
>>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible that "Artie" has his display set to a lower resolution to
>>> compensate for vision impairment?
>>>
>>> ~Roger

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
I have a Retina display, I downloaded your app and it's as Roger deduced:

If, via System Preferences -> Displays I change my usual setting of
'More Space' to 'Larger Text' the Retina Display is effectively turned
into a 1024 x 640 display; you App is magnified and doesn't fit and it
can't be made to. If I select the next setting up, it's effectively a
1280 x 800 display and still your App doesn't fit. Any setting from
'Default' up to the full resolution of 'More Space' handles your app
just fine.

That should help Artie but I tend to agree with Roger. If you are
catering for people like yourself, who may hold onto computers until
they actually die (the computer, not the user;-) then a height no
taller than 756 px should reduce your support calls.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Artie" says:
>
> "I wonder if, suspect, actually, that this has something to do with my
> Retina screen."
>
> I have no access to a retina screen, so would be grateful if anyone who has
> would go to the MacUpdate website and
> download my "CHAR REF" standalone and see what happens.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 4/4/17 7:45 pm, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> My application is 728 high. This covers 99% of users. I know that you’re
>> not releasing it for Windows, but there are Windows users with 11” screens.
>> If the OS reports screen resolution < 800 I hide the Taskbar as well.
>>
>> Peter Bogdanoff
>>

>> On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Roger,
>>>
>>> I think you have hit upon the real problem,
>>> and the correct solution. If he is looking at
>>> his Mac at a resolution of either 1024 x 640
>>> or 1280 by 800 then Richmond’s app wouldn’t
>>> fit at all properly on the screen.
>>>
>>> For my everyday use I usually have my screen
>>> set to 1280 by 800 because I don’t like
>>> the small text.  When I work on an app
>>> I always switch to 1920 by 1200.
>>>
>>> Good catch!
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>

>>> That sounds like the answer

Re: Mysterious customer

prothero--- via use-livecode
Thankyou very much indeed, that is exactly the answer I was looking for:
very glad indeed to know it was "not me" :)

Richmond.