Mysterious new MetaCard file

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I have just received a note that a new file has been uploaded to
the MetaCard Yahoo group:

from an email address [hidden email]

This purports to be a new version of the mchome file . . .

However I feel uncomfortable about it for a number of reasons:

1. Who is "rdbar814" ?

2. Why is there no adequate explanation as to what it really does,
because as far as I know
there is no way to get metaCard running with an LC 8 or 9 engine?

I have downloaded the ZIP file onto my Macintosh, but seriously wonder
about the wisdom of unzipping it.

Re: Mysterious new MetaCard file

On 07/08/2017 10:39 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> I have just received a note that a new file has been uploaded to
> the MetaCard Yahoo group:

> from an email address [hidden email]
>
> This purports to be a new version of the mchome file . . .
>
> However I feel uncomfortable about it for a number of reasons:
>
> 1. Who is "rdbar814" ?
>
> 2. Why is there no adequate explanation as to what it really does,
> because as far as I know
> there is no way to get metaCard running with an LC 8 or 9 engine?
>
> I have downloaded the ZIP file onto my Macintosh, but seriously wonder
> about the wisdom of unzipping it.

Well, I have to commend you on your caution.
But here's the background information:

Re: Mysterious new MetaCard file

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
The backgroundInformation still does not explain where or who this new
file comes from.

Richmond.

On 07/08/2017 10:49 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> The backgroundInformation still does not explain where or who this new
> file comes from.

Well, yes. It does.
[hidden email] is the new moderator of the MC group. Only the
moderator(s) can post files in the group. Or, for that matter, post any
messages to the group.
And as you might read in the forum post, the new MC build in the zip
file works with LC8/9.
And given that this is the first new MC build in six years, this might
be a Big Deal. As Richard Gaskin points out in the forum post, it's the
only *real* alternative IDE for the LC engine.

Re: Mysterious new MetaCard file

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
OK: I'll give the thing a try.

Richmond.

On 7/8/17 9:23 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 07/08/2017 10:49 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>> The backgroundInformation still does not explain where or who this
>> new file comes from.
>
> Well, yes. It does.
> [hidden email] is the new moderator of the MC group. Only the
> moderator(s) can post files in the group. Or, for that matter, post
> any messages to the group.
> And as you might read in the forum post, the new MC build in the zip
> file works with LC8/9.
> And given that this is the first new MC build in six years, this might
> be a Big Deal. As Richard Gaskin points out in the forum post, it's
> the only *real* alternative IDE for the LC engine.

Re: Mysterious new MetaCard file

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
I got it running in 5 minutes. The guy who uploaded it says he has removed all references to passwords. I have no idea why this was a problem for him, but it is nice that he returned the modified files as required by the oss licence.

⁣Verzonden door BlueMail ​

On 07/08/2017 11:51 AM, Mark Schonewille via use-livecode wrote:
> I got it running in 5 minutes. The guy who uploaded it says he has removed all references to passwords. I have no idea why this was a problem for him, but it is nice that he returned the modified files as required by the oss licence.

The forum post has the details, but the tl;dr is that the community
build of LiveCode doesn't (can't) support password-protected stacks.

On 7/8/17 10:17 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 07/08/2017 11:51 AM, Mark Schonewille via use-livecode wrote:
>> I got it running in 5 minutes. The guy who uploaded it says he has
>> removed all references to passwords. I have no idea why this was a
>> problem for him, but it is nice that he returned the modified files
>> as required by the oss licence.
>
> The forum post has the details, but the tl;dr is that the community
> build of LiveCode doesn't (can't) support password-protected stacks.

I'm not really worried about that at all as I am 100% content with the
LC IDE (well, the 7.1.4 one anyway), and just want to show the
MetaCard IDE to my Summer programming pupils.

Mark Schonewille wrote:

 > I got it running in 5 minutes. The guy who uploaded it says he has
 > removed all references to passwords. I have no idea why this was a
 > problem for him, but it is nice that he returned the modified files
 > as required by the oss licence.

Depends on the license.  And in this case the code wasn't
password-protected so that was never a concern at all.

The thread Mark linked to has the full backstory, but to address those
two points here:

- MC IDE was released by MetaCard Corp. under the MIT License, which is
not only GPL-compatible but also allows use in proprietary works.  We
felt that was a good choice in case someone might want to use some of
the IDE components, and since the "Ask Dialog" and other resources could
be copied into a standalone it would be a necessity in such cases. GPL
compatibility was just a nice extra; MC IDE went open source about a
decade before the LC Community edition was announced, so of course we
had know way to know that GPL compatibility would one day also be useful
for running with that engine.

- The code was open; we were encrypting data.  We were storing prefs
data in a stack file, and had a longer-term strategy of allowing plugins
to use the same API.  Since it's possible some data might be sensitive,
it made sense to at least encrypt that data stack file on disk so other
programs wouldn't be able to read it easily.

What Bogs encountered wasn't locked code, just an error thrown by the LC
Community engine when it encountered the line that set the password of
the data stack.  Since all scripts are open, he was able to just remove
that and now, as you've seen, it works well.

Of course today we have the encrypt and decrypt commands, so if I were
doing that now I'd store an encrypted serialized array instead.

In fact, now that arrays can be serialized (added late in the game for
us graybeards in v3.5 <g>) I rarely use stack files for storing data
anymore, except in the rare cases where I need to store LC objects.