Native Mobile Radio Buttons - Focus on Entry Field on Mobile

Native Mobile Radio Buttons - Focus on Entry Field on Mobile

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

OK I successfully built a little custom Control which is a searchform that dynamically changes out some options depending on the class of audio being viewed by the user..

Pretty straight forward, a search fields, some radio buttons for what to search in and then two other sets of radio buttons that only appear for music/songs with genre and theme, got the search working. Works great on desktop, very slick…

Deployed to mobile and while it works on iOS and My Nexus, the radio buttons look pretty awful, like some ancient Motif boxes when touched.

What options do we have to native mobile radio buttons?

Also when I click a radio button I cannot return focus back to the search field

UI has:
--------------------------

[_________________ ]  # fld [searchstring]   [search button here a SVG widget]

Search in: (a label)

__Title    __Subtitle  _Description   # 3 radio buttons

on mobile, when I click on one of these radio buttons, then I can no longer click back into the field to enter text.

missing something simple there. I can enter text and then click a radio button and the search works as on desktop.

Re: Native Mobile Radio Buttons - Focus on Entry Field on Mobile

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
for starters, get scott's tmControls2.  They just look better.
as for the focus, how are you trying to do it?  are you using "focus on"?
 "click at the loc of"?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK I successfully built a little custom Control which is a searchform that
> dynamically changes out some options depending on the class of audio being
> viewed by the user..
>
> Pretty straight forward, a search fields, some radio buttons for what to
> search in and then two other sets of radio buttons that only appear for
> music/songs with genre and theme, got the search working. Works great on
> desktop, very slick…
>
> Deployed to mobile and while it works on iOS and My Nexus, the radio
> buttons look pretty awful, like some ancient Motif boxes when touched.
>
> What options do we have to native mobile radio buttons?
>
> Also when I click a radio button I cannot return focus back to the search
> field
>

> UI has:
> --------------------------
>
> [_________________ ]  # fld [searchstring]   [search button here a SVG
> widget]
>

> Search in: (a label)
>
> __Title    __Subtitle  _Description   # 3 radio buttons
>

> on mobile, when I click on one of these radio buttons, then I can no
> longer click back into the field to enter text.
>
> missing something simple there. I can enter text and then click a radio
> button and the search works as on desktop.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Mike wrote:
    for starters, get scott's tmControls2.  They just look better.

BR: duh of course!

    as for the focus, how are you trying to do it?  are you using "focus on"?
    "click at the loc of"?

BR: The focus comes into the search field when the custom control slides down… cursor is there and key board pops up by hard coding:

focus on fld "searchstring"
select after fld "searchstring"

User can enter text, and then click one of three options like

_Title    _Description _ Artists

# I couldn't get %like% to work across three columns for a single string and this is better anyway

As long as the events went  like this

1) type in search string
2) choose radio button for what to search in
3) click the search button

it worked.

But if events went like this:

1) choose a radio button
2) click into field
 # now the keyboard no longer pops up…

OK so I went back and set the "autohilite" to true on a hunch… and OK! now it works on iOS and on Android, with a caveat on Android, which possibly is a bug?

1) choose a radio button: Artists

2) click into the field.. # now with autohilite set to true, the keyboard pops up
      -- enter "Meena"

3) but now, in the radio button group below, the hilitedbuttons are set to empty…"Artists" is de-selected!

4) user gets the message "Select Search In:"  and has to click again on  "Artists"

Does that seem right? Shouldn't the hilitedbutton remain "sticky" when the user switches focus to, taps into the field? It does on desktop and iOS. It's as if on Android, the radio button group is "hearing about" the mouse event outside as if it were another radio button and deselecting all buttons in it's group.

Should I report this?

Re: Native Mobile Radio Buttons - Focus on Entry Field on Mobile

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
column1 LIKE '%value1%' OR column2 LIKE '%value2%' OR column3 LIKE '%value3%' didn't work for you??

Bob S

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 07:50 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> # I couldn't get %like% to work across three columns for a single string and this is better anyway

Re: Native Mobile Radio Buttons - Focus on Entry Field on Mobile

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
@ Bob

yes that should work, but I'm using AGdbase lib and it defaults to AND has he is off to the annual Brazil JS Party till Wednesday…

so I ended up giving the user discreet options, which I think is actually better.

@ Mike

TMControls2

I don't see this anywhere now…Scott has something that is iOS only on his new site… but we need for Android also.

Wow, only 14 extensions at the LC  "store"