Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Phew -- this was a lot of work, as I basically had to (for about the ninth
time!) completely re-write a portion of the drag-and-drop code, which is by
far my least favorite part of Navigator.

Briefly, this release does three things:

1. Fixes drag-and-drop code so that it should work correctly even if: you
have folded groups; you have applied a test filter so that only some
controls are displayed; you have applied a text filter so that only some
controls are displayed.

Makes group folding much more transparent by:

2. Adding a color strip to the left side of the Navigator display that
shows where to click a group to fold/unfold it.

3. Adding a line below a folded group that says something like, "8 folded
controls."

Apart from providing a visual cue that a group has been folded, the part
that required looking at much of Navigator's code is that the line from (3)
actually represents the 8 (or whatever) controls in that group. You can
click on that one line and drag them someplace else, or modify their
properties. Etc, etc.

There's no functionality in Navigator yet to "collapse" any set of controls
other than when folding the controls in a group, but there's nothing to
prevent it I don't think. So if you have suggestions beyond just adding a
command to the Navigator pop-up menu to "fold these controls" let me know.

Making it so that any line in Navigator's display can represent any number
of controls is fundamental to much of what Navigator does, so this is
definitely an alpha release.

As usual, you can get Navigator here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or grab it
from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.

Now on to a couple bugs that have been reported...

Re: Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
I made a slight update to fix an issue with the drag and drop indicators.
Using some fonts in Navigator's list field would cause the indicators to be
off when dragging in long lists. Oddly, this seems to be because the
effective textHeight of the field reports a 1-off pixel count. So instead
of using that I switched to using the textheightsum / the number of lines
of the field. Wasteful, but accurate.

You can update Navigator to get the fix. As usual:

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phew -- this was a lot of work, as I basically had to (for about the ninth
> time!) completely re-write a portion of the drag-and-drop code, which is by
> far my least favorite part of Navigator.
>
> Briefly, this release does three things:
>
> 1. Fixes drag-and-drop code so that it should work correctly even if: you
> have folded groups; you have applied a test filter so that only some
> controls are displayed; you have applied a text filter so that only some
> controls are displayed.
>
> Makes group folding much more transparent by:
>
> 2. Adding a color strip to the left side of the Navigator display that
> shows where to click a group to fold/unfold it.
>
> 3. Adding a line below a folded group that says something like, "8 folded
> controls."
>
> Apart from providing a visual cue that a group has been folded, the part
> that required looking at much of Navigator's code is that the line from (3)
> actually represents the 8 (or whatever) controls in that group. You can
> click on that one line and drag them someplace else, or modify their
> properties. Etc, etc.
>
> There's no functionality in Navigator yet to "collapse" any set of
> controls other than when folding the controls in a group, but there's
> nothing to prevent it I don't think. So if you have suggestions beyond just
> adding a command to the Navigator pop-up menu to "fold these controls" let
> me know.
>
> Making it so that any line in Navigator's display can represent any number
> of controls is fundamental to much of what Navigator does, so this is
> definitely an alpha release.
>
> As usual, you can get Navigator here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or grab
> it from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.
>
> Now on to a couple bugs that have been reported...

RE: Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Geoff, When I create a new Navigator for a Group, when I click on an item it
does not get selected on the card. Am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely,

Clarence Martin
Email: [hidden email]
Cell: 626 696-5561

I made a slight update to fix an issue with the drag and drop indicators.
Using some fonts in Navigator's list field would cause the indicators to be
off when dragging in long lists. Oddly, this seems to be because the
effective textHeight of the field reports a 1-off pixel count. So instead of
using that I switched to using the textheightsum / the number of lines of
the field. Wasteful, but accurate.

You can update Navigator to get the fix. As usual:

 Get Navigator here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or grab it
from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phew -- this was a lot of work, as I basically had to (for about the
> ninth
> time!) completely re-write a portion of the drag-and-drop code, which
> is by far my least favorite part of Navigator.
>
> Briefly, this release does three things:
>
> 1. Fixes drag-and-drop code so that it should work correctly even if:
> you have folded groups; you have applied a test filter so that only
> some controls are displayed; you have applied a text filter so that
> only some controls are displayed.
>
> Makes group folding much more transparent by:
>
> 2. Adding a color strip to the left side of the Navigator display that
> shows where to click a group to fold/unfold it.
>
> 3. Adding a line below a folded group that says something like, "8
> folded controls."
>
> Apart from providing a visual cue that a group has been folded, the
> part that required looking at much of Navigator's code is that the
> line from (3) actually represents the 8 (or whatever) controls in that
> group. You can click on that one line and drag them someplace else, or
> modify their properties. Etc, etc.
>
> There's no functionality in Navigator yet to "collapse" any set of
> controls other than when folding the controls in a group, but there's
> nothing to prevent it I don't think. So if you have suggestions beyond
> just adding a command to the Navigator pop-up menu to "fold these
> controls" let me know.
>
> Making it so that any line in Navigator's display can represent any
> number of controls is fundamental to much of what Navigator does, so
> this is definitely an alpha release.
>
> As usual, you can get Navigator here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or
> grab it from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.
>
> Now on to a couple bugs that have been reported...

RE: Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
My Bad!
I am replying to my own question.
I found that by right clicking on the item and using the "select objects", I
can hilite and get the object  info.

GREAT PLUGIN!

Sincerely,

Clarence Martin
Email: [hidden email]
Cell: 626 696-5561

I made a slight update to fix an issue with the drag and drop indicators.
Using some fonts in Navigator's list field would cause the indicators to be
off when dragging in long lists. Oddly, this seems to be because the
effective textHeight of the field reports a 1-off pixel count. So instead of
using that I switched to using the textheightsum / the number of lines of
the field. Wasteful, but accurate.

You can update Navigator to get the fix. As usual:

 Get Navigator here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or grab it
from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phew -- this was a lot of work, as I basically had to (for about the
> ninth
> time!) completely re-write a portion of the drag-and-drop code, which
> is by far my least favorite part of Navigator.
>
> Briefly, this release does three things:
>
> 1. Fixes drag-and-drop code so that it should work correctly even if:
> you have folded groups; you have applied a test filter so that only
> some controls are displayed; you have applied a text filter so that
> only some controls are displayed.
>
> Makes group folding much more transparent by:
>
> 2. Adding a color strip to the left side of the Navigator display that
> shows where to click a group to fold/unfold it.
>
> 3. Adding a line below a folded group that says something like, "8
> folded controls."
>
> Apart from providing a visual cue that a group has been folded, the
> part that required looking at much of Navigator's code is that the
> line from (3) actually represents the 8 (or whatever) controls in that
> group. You can click on that one line and drag them someplace else, or
> modify their properties. Etc, etc.
>
> There's no functionality in Navigator yet to "collapse" any set of
> controls other than when folding the controls in a group, but there's
> nothing to prevent it I don't think. So if you have suggestions beyond
> just adding a command to the Navigator pop-up menu to "fold these
> controls" let me know.
>
> Making it so that any line in Navigator's display can represent any
> number of controls is fundamental to much of what Navigator does, so
> this is definitely an alpha release.
>
> As usual, you can get Navigator here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or
> grab it from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.
>
> Now on to a couple bugs that have been reported...

Re: Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:46 AM Clarence Martin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Bad!
> I am replying to my own question.
> I found that by right clicking on the item and using the "select objects",
> can hilite and get the object  info.

Yep, when Navigator is doing a "live" display -- showing the controls on
whatever card is displayed in the topstack -- then Navigator reflects the
controls you select on the card, and the selection will be updated to
reflect whatever you select in Navigator. When you are displaying anything
else -- when Navigator is pinned to a specific card or group or background
-- it doesn't do that, because there's no guarantee that the container is
even visible.

As you found, you can right-click on any controls in the list and select
"Select Objects", which will do its best to select the controls -- for
example, even if the browse tool is selected. But you can get the object
info for anything right in Navigator, without selecting it, on the
Properties and Custom Properties menu.

gc

Re: Navigator 6.1 alpha1 is out

Trevor DeVore via use-livecode
Hi Geoff,

6.1 alpha 2 = awesome!  You fixed the drag and drop bug. Would you post your PayPal so I can show some appreciation?

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>