Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
As usual, you can get Navigator here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz3zqi4botzglgq/navigator.zip?dl=1>. Or grab it
from GitHub <https://github.com/gcanyon/navigator>.

The complete update list is below, but the four big things are:

1. Preferences are stored as an external text file, so updating Navigator
won't delete your color sets or anything else.
2. The Properties menu now includes access to a Size/Location editor, so
you can easily change the rect of any set of controls you like. It's easy
to align or center controls, and everything you do in the dialog can be
reverted if something goes wrong.
3. The Properties menu now includes access to a Colors editor, so you can
easily change any set of color properties for any set of controls. This
also has a revert function.
4. The filter function now has a toggle switch so you can filter by test as
well as just by matching text. So if you want to see just invisible
controls: "the vis of tID is false" or controls that are square: "the
height of tID is the width of tID" or controls without a tooltip: "the
tooltip of tID is empty." etc., etc.

I should add that the revert function in the editors is not dependent on
the editors themselves -- you can open the Size/Location editor and then
resize or move the selected controls any way you want, and then hit the
revert button and everything will go back to where it was when you opened
the editor (for the controls you selected when you opened the editor).

Let me know if you find any issues.

regards,

Geoff

Detailed change list:

Improved and simplified Navigator window-dragging code.
Fixed an error with layering in drag and drop between Navigators.
Fixed an error with editing colors.
Added a toggle to the filter box to allow filter by test as well as text
match.
Simplified the code to display the stack list.
Fixed an issue where mainstacks with templates for conversion to behaviors
would show up twice in the option menu in the conversion dialog.
Added an option to the properties menu to open Size/Location Editor.
Updated the Size/Location Editor:
 -- The previous way of resizing (which involved following the sizing of a
target object in real time) has been removed.
 -- Added a control to allow resizing/moving any control or set of
controls: adjust the sides/corners, or move the objects
 -- Added a reset button to undo all changes made.
Added an option to the properties menu to open the colors editor.
Updated the Colors editor:
 -- Added backgrounds to the color sliders to make it clearer what edits
what.
 -- Added a Choose button that opens the system color selector to put the
value into the sliders.
 -- Reorganized the layout to make it clearer.
 -- Added tooltips to explain how color selection works.
 -- Added a color swatch to show what color is set on the sliders.
 -- Added a reset button to undo all changes made.
Changed preferences to save and restore them in an external text file. The
format is fairly simple:
 -- All preferences are stored as a single line each.
 -- Each line is delimited into three items by numtochar(255).
 -- The first item is the property to be set.
 -- The second item is the name of the control that has the property --
this is a full name reference to the control, but not the long name. It
uses the name of the mainstack instead of the filename. Thus the value can
be used to set properties, but is portable from one installation to another.
 -- Values are urlencoded.
 -- In the one instance of a custompropertyset, the individual array values
for the custompropertyset are urlencoded to be a single line, then the
whole array is urlencoded to fit in the larger scheme.

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
...and updated to alpha 2. Found and fixed a bug with proportional
resizing, and removed an unnecessary visual element from the resizing
dialog.

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Updated to alpha 3. Found and fixed an issue with custom values in the
prefs palette. Should work now.

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Updated to alpha 4. Updated the prefs format. Prefs now use a custom
encode/decode routine so only cr and tab are encoded. The result is simpler
to modify as a text file. This version of Nav will still correctly read the
old format.

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Updated to 6.2.1. Added functionality so that fillGradient can be edited
along with other properties in Nav's Property Editor. Needs some polish,
but works just fine.

gc

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:33 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Updated to alpha 4. Updated the prefs format. Prefs now use a custom
> encode/decode routine so only cr and tab are encoded. The result is simpler
> to modify as a text file. This version of Nav will still correctly read the
> old format.

Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Hi,

For trial version expiration of my program, I’ve been attempting to use the US Naval Observatory time service which has an API that returns info as JSON data:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv <http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv>

My request:
put URL "http://api.usno.navy.mil/jdconverter?date=today&time=22:15:23.5&ID=ArtsInteractive" into sJulianDateJSON

I have a handler that checks for the local variable sJulianDateJSON to contain the returned data, then I use the current Julian date returned (the number of days since January 1, 4713 BC) to write and check on the current date and expiration dates.

It seems to work well in on my computer and others in the USA, but a Windows tester in Costa Rica can’t seem to get a response. I haven’t figured out if this is a programming or Internet issue, and it’s difficult to determine since it works well for me on Mac and Windows.

Would any of you test this small LC stack — in the USA or elsewhere? And send me results directly to my email address?

https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip <https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip>

1. Click “Get Julian Date”. If it works, it should show a number in the “Julian Date” field after a few seconds.
2. “Clear” resets the result fields
3. The top field “Try x times” can be set to a larger number if necessary.
4. If it works the “Send Email” will attempt to use your email client to email me the results.

And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local date/time I’d like to hear that…

Thanks!

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Hi Peter,

why don't you consider a VPN for such testing? It can place you in any
country you need, and you get immediate confirmation.   VPN's are plentiful
and free to cheap.

sqb

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:33 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For trial version expiration of my program, I’ve been attempting to use
> the US Naval Observatory time service which has an API that returns info as
> JSON data:
>
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv <
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/api.php#jdconv>
>
> My request:
> put URL "http://api.usno.navy.mil/jdconverter?date=today&time=
> 22:15:23.5&ID=ArtsInteractive" into sJulianDateJSON
>
> I have a handler that checks for the local variable sJulianDateJSON to
> contain the returned data, then I use the current Julian date returned (the
> number of days since January 1, 4713 BC) to write and check on the current
> date and expiration dates.
>
> It seems to work well in on my computer and others in the USA, but a
> Windows tester in Costa Rica can’t seem to get a response. I haven’t
> figured out if this is a programming or Internet issue, and it’s difficult
> to determine since it works well for me on Mac and Windows.
>

> Would any of you test this small LC stack — in the USA or elsewhere? And
> send me results directly to my email address?
>
> https://artsinteractive-products.s3.amazonaws.com/
> MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip <https://artsinteractive-
> products.s3.amazonaws.com/MITA/Get_Julian_Date.livecode.zip>
>
> 1. Click “Get Julian Date”. If it works, it should show a number in the
> “Julian Date” field after a few seconds.
> 2. “Clear” resets the result fields
> 3. The top field “Try x times” can be set to a larger number if necessary.
> 4. If it works the “Send Email” will attempt to use your email client to
> email me the results.
>

> And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local
> date/time I’d like to hear that…
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
> ArtsInteractive

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
While the USA does not firewall it's internet, there are countries that do. Costa Rica may be one of them.

Bob S

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 15:33 , Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It seems to work well in on my computer and others in the USA, but a Windows tester in Costa Rica can’t seem to get a response. I haven’t figured out if this is a programming or Internet issue, and it’s difficult to determine since it works well for me on Mac and Windows.

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Also it dawns on me that the US Navy may firewall it's own time servers so that they are no DOS attacked.

Bob S

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 15:58 , Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While the USA does not firewall it's internet, there are countries that do. Costa Rica may be one of them.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Sep 14, 2018, at 15:33 , Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It seems to work well in on my computer and others in the USA, but a Windows tester in Costa Rica can’t seem to get a response. I haven’t figured out if this is a programming or Internet issue, and it’s difficult to determine since it works well for me on Mac and Windows.

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
That sounds plausible.

I am getting uneven results with this…

Is this a job for LC Server? To return the seconds and then do my calculations from that?

Peter

Peter Bogdanoff wrote:

 > And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local
 > date/time I’d like to hear that…

Using "the seconds" returns a value that accounts for local GMT offset.
with the value returned being for GMT.

So if you get the seconds and then display them on a machine set to a
different time zone, the time zone will be taken into account when using
the convert command to display them in any human-readable format.

FWIW "the internet date" is similarly useful for converting to other
formats in ways that take local time zone into account.

AFAIK those are the only two built-in date formats that account for GMT
offset, but I've used both for network services where users trade data
across many time zones and they work quite well.

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I think the goal is an independent time (date) source to ensure that the value is correct. I’m curious about the best solution. Probably would involve your own server though.

Thanks,
Brian
On Sep 14, 2018, 7:36 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>
> > And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local
> > date/time I’d like to hear that…
>
> Using "the seconds" returns a value that accounts for local GMT offset.
> with the value returned being for GMT.
>
> So if you get the seconds and then display them on a machine set to a
> different time zone, the time zone will be taken into account when using
> the convert command to display them in any human-readable format.
>
> FWIW "the internet date" is similarly useful for converting to other
> formats in ways that take local time zone into account.
>
> AFAIK those are the only two built-in date formats that account for GMT
> offset, but I've used both for network services where users trade data
> across many time zones and they work quite well.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Yes, that’s right.

We had a report of a user setting back his OS date to extend his demo. This caused us much consternation, thus the desire for an independent date source.

Peter

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the goal is an independent time (date) source to ensure that the value is correct. I’m curious about the best solution. Probably would involve your own server though.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Sep 14, 2018, 7:36 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>>
>>> And… if anyone has a method that doesn’t rely on the user’s local
>>> date/time I’d like to hear that…
>>
>> Using "the seconds" returns a value that accounts for local GMT offset.
>> with the value returned being for GMT.
>>
>> So if you get the seconds and then display them on a machine set to a
>> different time zone, the time zone will be taken into account when using
>> the convert command to display them in any human-readable format.
>>
>> FWIW "the internet date" is similarly useful for converting to other
>> formats in ways that take local time zone into account.
>>
>> AFAIK those are the only two built-in date formats that account for GMT
>> offset, but I've used both for network services where users trade data
>> across many time zones and they work quite well.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
how about google time?

https://developers.google.com/time/

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:45 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, that’s right.
>
> We had a report of a user setting back his OS date to extend his demo.
> This caused us much consternation, thus the desire for an independent date
> source.
>
> Peter
>
> > On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think the goal is an independent time (date) source to ensure that the
> value is correct. I’m curious about the best solution. Probably would
> involve your own server though.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> > On Sep 14, 2018, 7:36 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:

> >> Using "the seconds" returns a value that accounts for local GMT offset.
> >> with the value returned being for GMT.
> >>
> >> So if you get the seconds and then display them on a machine set to a
> >> different time zone, the time zone will be taken into account when using
> >> the convert command to display them in any human-readable format.
> >>
> >> FWIW "the internet date" is similarly useful for converting to other
> >> formats in ways that take local time zone into account.
> >>
> >> AFAIK those are the only two built-in date formats that account for GMT
> >> offset, but I've used both for network services where users trade data
> >> across many time zones and they work quite well.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Gaskin
> >> Fourth World Systems
> >> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
You could put a little one line CGI on your server that just returns the
time and date.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On September 14, 2018 8:47:51 PM Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, that’s right.
>
> We had a report of a user setting back his OS date to extend his demo. This
> caused us much consternation, thus the desire for an independent date source.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think the goal is an independent time (date) source to ensure that the
>> value is correct. I’m curious about the best solution. Probably would
>> involve your own server though.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>> On Sep 14, 2018, 7:36 PM -0500, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]>, wrote:

>>> Using "the seconds" returns a value that accounts for local GMT offset.
>>> with the value returned being for GMT.
>>>
>>> So if you get the seconds and then display them on a machine set to a
>>> different time zone, the time zone will be taken into account when using
>>> the convert command to display them in any human-readable format.
>>>
>>> FWIW "the internet date" is similarly useful for converting to other
>>> formats in ways that take local time zone into account.
>>>
>>> AFAIK those are the only two built-in date formats that account for GMT
>>> offset, but I've used both for network services where users trade data
>>> across many time zones and they work quite well.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems
>>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I'd rather use a time server that a lot of people use and is maintained. A
private web server's clock depends on ...x for reference?

"Google Public NTP serves leap-smeared time
<https://developers.google.com/time/smear>. We use this technology to
smoothly handle leap seconds with no disruptive events.

We implemented Google Public NTP with our load balancers
<https://cloud.google.com/load-balancing/> and our fleet of atomic clocks
in data centers around the world.

   - Configure your network settings to use time.google.com as your NTP
   server."

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:55 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You could put a little one line CGI on your server that just returns the
> time and date.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
>
> On September 14, 2018 8:47:51 PM Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, that’s right.
>>
>> We had a report of a user setting back his OS date to extend his demo.
>> This caused us much consternation, thus the desire for an independent date
>> source.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:56 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the goal is an independent time (date) source to ensure that the
>>> value is correct. I’m curious about the best solution. Probably would
>>> involve your own server though.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I’m not seeing how to translate use of an NTP server into "LC-talk.” I would love to use it but Google doesn’t seem to have an API that I can access. And I would love the dependability of the Google universe.

This one does return JSON:
http://worldclockapi.com <http://worldclockapi.com/>

What I was using before was Julian date which is an easy calculation to use with a 30-day free trial. This worldclockapi.com server  returns:
{"$id":"1","currentDateTime":"2018-09-15T03:25Z","utcOffset":"00:00:00","isDayLightSavingsTime":false,"dayOfTheWeek":"Saturday","timeZoneName":"UTC","currentFileTime":131814555546165290,"ordinalDate":"2018-258","serviceResponse":null}

The ordinal date could be used, I suppose, to calculate 30 days from now.

Peter

On 09/14/2018 08:30 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode wrote:
 > I’m not seeing how to translate use of an NTP server into "LC-talk.”
I would love to use it but Google doesn’t seem to have an API that I can
access. And I would love the dependability of the Google universe.

NTP uses port 13.

constant kNTPsocket = "time.nist.gov:13"

on mouseUp pMouseButton
    open socket to kNTPsocket with message "opened"
    if the result is not empty then
       put the result after msg

on opened
    local tTime

    read from socket kNTPsocket until EOF
    put it into tTime
    put tTime after msg
    close socket kNTPSocket
end opened

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is out

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Updated to 6.2.2

Fixed an issue where editing fillGradients worked, but creating new ones
was impossible.
Fixed an error in the Color Editor that glitched the user interface a bit.
Updated the Color Editor interface to have images representing all the
options, with tooltips.
Corrected the step value for the Color Editor scrollbar controls.
Added an option to get the mouseColor in the Color Editor.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Updated to 6.2.1. Added functionality so that fillGradient can be edited
> along with other properties in Nav's Property Editor. Needs some polish,
> but works just fine.
>
> gc
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:33 PM Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Updated to alpha 4. Updated the prefs format. Prefs now use a custom
>> encode/decode routine so only cr and tab are encoded. The result is simpler
>> to modify as a text file. This version of Nav will still correctly read the
>> old format.

Re: Internet Date Service test

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Thank you Mark, I’ll try it out.