Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I now have an alpha version of Navigator that is built entirely using
script-only stack behaviors, and it includes the function I used to do it.
You can download Navigator 5 here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. The full
documentation is here
<https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/#updates-for-5.0>,
but briefly:

You can highlight any controls in Navigator, including bookmarked controls,
and select Convert to Script-only Stack Behaviors on the Script menu.
Navigator will convert all the scripts of the objects you selected to
script-only behaviors, and update appropriately all the behavior settings
and stackfiles to make it work. You can select the folder you want to
create the new stackfiles in. Navigator offers to put a log of exactly what
it did in the message box, and if there are any chained behaviors included,
Navigator will include the lines of script you need to run to make them
work whenever you load the project. Navigator will optionally work on
controls with empty scripts, so you can "pre-behavior" a project before
starting to script it.

I think this is completely functional and safe to use. BUT I've only tested
on local projects that I created (including Navigator). Use at your own
risk, always work on a copy, etc., etc.

TBD:

Recursive conversion, so you can select a group, card, or stack, and just
say, "Convert everything in here."

Customizable stack names for the script-only stacks. Currently it's stack
name, control name, control id, and an index if there is a collision.

If you have any feedback or questions, let me know.

gc

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
This sounds very cool. Can’t wait to take it for a test drive.
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:27 PM Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I now have an alpha version of Navigator that is built entirely using
> script-only stack behaviors, and it includes the function I used to do it.
> You can download Navigator 5 here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. The full
> documentation is here
> <https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/#updates-for-5.0>,
> but briefly:
>
> You can highlight any controls in Navigator, including bookmarked controls,
> and select Convert to Script-only Stack Behaviors on the Script menu.
> Navigator will convert all the scripts of the objects you selected to
> script-only behaviors, and update appropriately all the behavior settings
> and stackfiles to make it work. You can select the folder you want to
> create the new stackfiles in. Navigator offers to put a log of exactly what
> it did in the message box, and if there are any chained behaviors included,
> Navigator will include the lines of script you need to run to make them
> work whenever you load the project. Navigator will optionally work on
> controls with empty scripts, so you can "pre-behavior" a project before
> starting to script it.
>
> I think this is completely functional and safe to use. BUT I've only tested
> on local projects that I created (including Navigator). Use at your own
> risk, always work on a copy, etc., etc.
>
> TBD:
>
> Recursive conversion, so you can select a group, card, or stack, and just
> say, "Convert everything in here."
>
> Customizable stack names for the script-only stacks. Currently it's stack
> name, control name, control id, and an index if there is a collision.
>
> If you have any feedback or questions, let me know.
>
> gc

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I found one bug: if you try to save the script-only stacks in the same
folder as any of the stacks containing the objects you're converting, the
conversion process will hang partway through. The hang should occur before
anything has been changed, but still: Don't Do This.

I have a fix coded, but I'm in the middle of another update, so I will
update the whole thing tomorrow morning. (This is the sort of thing GitHub
is supposed to be good for, right? Heh -- need to figure that out...)

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 3:36 AM Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a fix coded, but I'm in the middle of another update, so I will
> update the whole thing tomorrow morning. (This is the sort of thing GitHub
> is supposed to be good for, right? Heh -- need to figure that out...)

A couple of quick tips. Some of the vocabulary may be new. Just google each
concept and you will find lots of info. Git is really confusing at first
and then one day it isn’t and you wonder how you ever lived without it.

Look into branching. A simple approach for an individual is that your
master branch has the stable version of your app. You work on each feature
in a separate branch that you then merge into master when it is ready.

Whenever you want to make a new public release of your app tag the commit
in master that has the release version. This allows you to easily check out
a branch with that exact version of your app if you need to in the future.

If you want to keep your master branch clean when merging other branches in
(not too many commits) look into interactive rebasing. Interactive rebasing
can be used to squash a bunch of commits in a branch down to one (or more).
That way when you merge a feature branch into master it only appears as one
commit, even if you made 30 commits while working on the feature.

Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Any suggestions where to go to figure this out? At the most basic level,
all I need is:

1. A "current released version" of Navigator on GitHub.
2. A work-in-progress version on my computer, in my LiveCode installation.
3. The ability to merge my copy into the GitHub version.

And obviously, have multiple dev versions, release versions, etc., but for
now I just need dev and release, and even that seems beyond the ability of
any web page to explain simply. Nothing I've read seems to even come close
to explaining how to do that. Or am I just completely misunderstanding how
git works? Even basic tutorials seem to start with literally no description
of what the actual workflow of git is, and simply dive into various git
commands using undefined terminology. <grrr>

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 3:36 AM Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I have a fix coded, but I'm in the middle of another update, so I will
> > update the whole thing tomorrow morning. (This is the sort of thing
> GitHub
> > is supposed to be good for, right? Heh -- need to figure that out...)
>

> A couple of quick tips. Some of the vocabulary may be new. Just google each
> concept and you will find lots of info. Git is really confusing at first
> and then one day it isn’t and you wonder how you ever lived without it.
>
> Look into branching. A simple approach for an individual is that your
> master branch has the stable version of your app. You work on each feature
> in a separate branch that you then merge into master when it is ready.
>
> Whenever you want to make a new public release of your app tag the commit
> in master that has the release version. This allows you to easily check out
> a branch with that exact version of your app if you need to in the future.
>
> If you want to keep your master branch clean when merging other branches in
> (not too many commits) look into interactive rebasing. Interactive rebasing
> can be used to squash a bunch of commits in a branch down to one (or more).
> That way when you merge a feature branch into master it only appears as one
> commit, even if you made 30 commits while working on the feature.
>
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
The files on GitHub and your workstation should be pretty much the same.
Like Trevor was saying, you would have a develop branch that contained your
in progress code. The master branch would be the release. Every beta could
be a commit in the dev branch. When ready for a final release, the code is
merged up to master.

On 01/25/2018 11:53 AM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
 > Any suggestions where to go to figure this out? At the most basic level,
 > all I need is:
 >
 > 1. A "current released version" of Navigator on GitHub.
 > 2. A work-in-progress version on my computer, in my LiveCode
installation.
 > 3. The ability to merge my copy into the GitHub version.
 >
 > And obviously, have multiple dev versions, release versions, etc.,
but for
 > now I just need dev and release, and even that seems beyond the
ability of
 > any web page to explain simply. Nothing I've read seems to even come
close
 > to explaining how to do that. Or am I just completely
misunderstanding how
 > git works? Even basic tutorials seem to start with literally no
description
 > of what the actual workflow of git is, and simply dive into various git
 > commands using undefined terminology. <grrr>

start with this:
install git
navigate to the Navigator lievcodescript directory
type 'git init'

that will initialize the directory by creating a few invisible files.
then you will tell git you want to track your livecodescript files.
type 'git add *.livecodescript'

that's it. now after you make changes
type 'git add *.livecodescript'

to see the current file status:
type 'git status'

that doesn't connect you to github yet, but that's your local storage,
and that's the first step to getting it onto github.

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I think I have it figured out -- Mikey suggested GitKraken, and that seems
to work pretty well. I got the hang of how the branch/commit process works
with a test directory and some simple text files. I'm thinking of making a
"seriously, for beginners" video of that process. The one remaining
stumbling block was that I had cloned the Navigator repository to an
incorrectly-named folder on my local drive because I didn't notice the
option to name the target folder for the clone. Noticed that, re-cloned,
and all was (I think) well.

Thanks all for the input!

gc

Re: Navigator now supports converting controls to script-only stack behaviors

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Also: the bug has been fixed. GitHub and the download on my Navigator page
have been updated. I also have a separate branch where I'm improving the
handlers menu. Woot!

On 01/25/2018 05:25 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
> Also: the bug has been fixed. GitHub and the download on my Navigator page
> have been updated. I also have a separate branch where I'm improving the
> handlers menu. Woot!

Woot indeed. Sounds like you're on a roll.