Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I updated the 5.1 alpha of Navigator. You can download Navigator 5 here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. The full
documentation is here
<https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/#updates-for-5.0>,
and there is a description in detail of how conversion to script-only stack
behaviors works here
<https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-convert-to-behaviors-details/>.

New features:

 -- Use your own naming convention for script-only stack files. Whatever
you can do in a line of LC script, you can use to name your stacks.
 -- A "Restore from Behaviors" command. This will do unhelpful things
(duplicate
scripts) for complex, chained behaviors, but I've used it about half a
dozen times with Navigator to restore and re-export Navigator's code using
the new naming feature.
 -- The Custom Properties menu now supports deleting properties and
property sets.
 -- The Property Editor now supports custom properties.
 -- The Property Editor now highlights values that aren't the same for all
the controls selected.
 -- The Property Editor now has a popup menu that displays each of the
values for the property for the selected controls -- these two make finding
and syncing discrepancies easy.
 -- The contextual menu for stacks now supports updating all script-only
stacks from disk, making it unnecessary to quit and restart LiveCode after
changing branches in source control.
 -- The Scripts menu now supports sending to private commands and functions
for testing.

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I love it when someone else solves a problem I've been thinking about
attacking.  I get a lot more gaming in that way :-)

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I updated the 5.1 alpha of Navigator. You can download Navigator 5 here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. The full
> documentation is here
> <https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/#updates-for-5.0>,
> and there is a description in detail of how conversion to script-only stack
> behaviors works here
> <https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-convert-to-behaviors-details/>.
>
> New features:
>
>  -- Use your own naming convention for script-only stack files. Whatever
> you can do in a line of LC script, you can use to name your stacks.
>  -- A "Restore from Behaviors" command. This will do unhelpful things
> (duplicate
> scripts) for complex, chained behaviors, but I've used it about half a
> dozen times with Navigator to restore and re-export Navigator's code using
> the new naming feature.
>  -- The Custom Properties menu now supports deleting properties and
> property sets.
>  -- The Property Editor now supports custom properties.
>  -- The Property Editor now highlights values that aren't the same for all
> the controls selected.
>  -- The Property Editor now has a popup menu that displays each of the
> values for the property for the selected controls -- these two make finding
> and syncing discrepancies easy.
>  -- The contextual menu for stacks now supports updating all script-only
> stacks from disk, making it unnecessary to quit and restart LiveCode after
> changing branches in source control.
>  -- The Scripts menu now supports sending to private commands and functions
> for testing.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I decided to bite the bullet and build a dialog/palette for the process.
There are too many options to set, etc., and it just makes it easier. I
almost finished it for testing last night before going to sleep. I'm taking
a road trip today, but if I don't fall into bed tonight it should be done.
BTW, with the dialog adding all enclosed controls as an option was one line
of code:

put allUniqueIDsOf(fld "id list") into fld "id List"

I love it when (long) past Geoff does things right and I have it easy as a
result.

gc

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I love it when someone else solves a problem I've been thinking about
> attacking.  I get a lot more gaming in that way :-)
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I updated the 5.1 alpha of Navigator. You can download Navigator 5 here
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. The
> full
> > documentation is here
> > <https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/#updates-for-5.0
> >,
> > and there is a description in detail of how conversion to script-only
> stack
> > behaviors works here
> > <https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-convert-to-behaviors-details/>.
> >
> > New features:
> >
> >  -- Use your own naming convention for script-only stack files. Whatever
> > you can do in a line of LC script, you can use to name your stacks.
> >  -- A "Restore from Behaviors" command. This will do unhelpful things
> > (duplicate
> > scripts) for complex, chained behaviors, but I've used it about half a
> > dozen times with Navigator to restore and re-export Navigator's code
> using
> > the new naming feature.
> >  -- The Custom Properties menu now supports deleting properties and
> > property sets.
> >  -- The Property Editor now supports custom properties.
> >  -- The Property Editor now highlights values that aren't the same for
> all
> > the controls selected.
> >  -- The Property Editor now has a popup menu that displays each of the
> > values for the property for the selected controls -- these two make
> finding
> > and syncing discrepancies easy.
> >  -- The contextual menu for stacks now supports updating all script-only
> > stacks from disk, making it unnecessary to quit and restart LiveCode
> after
> > changing branches in source control.
> >  -- The Scripts menu now supports sending to private commands and
> functions
> > for testing.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
The update is now available here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. I haven't
updated the documentation yet. The main changes are:

1. The whole convert-to-behaviors and restore-from-behaviors bit has been
moved to its own custom palette, opened from Navigator. This makes the
whole process much clearer, and setting the options is easier and more
forgiving.
2. There's a preview for the naming template process -- again, easier and
more foolproof, and a dropdown offers some pre-made options.
3. The dialog's working list is derived from the selection in Navigator
when the command is issued, but it's text -- anything can be modified,
deleted, or added before processing.
4. There is a button to add enclosed objects. So it's possible to select a
group, card, or stack in Navigator, select the command, and then add
enclosed objects to include all the controls in that container -- or
containers, it processes everything in the list.
5. There is a button to add behavior chains, so it's possible to select one
control that has a chain of fifty behaviors, and click the button to add
them all to the list to be processed.
6. Both Convert and Restore have a preview option -- use it and the
resulting log will show exactly what will be done, without actually doing
any of it.

gc

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Geoff,

I am super excited to see you working on Navigator.

I have one little issue with it as it stands. I can not edit behaviors any longer. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I did the right click -> “Edit Behavior Scripts” on a card that has a behavior associated with it. The line is blue in color indicating that it has a behavior.

I will go back to an older version for now.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>

> On Feb 3, 2018, at 10:52 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The update is now available here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. I haven't
> updated the documentation yet. The main changes are:
>
> 1. The whole convert-to-behaviors and restore-from-behaviors bit has been
> moved to its own custom palette, opened from Navigator. This makes the
> whole process much clearer, and setting the options is easier and more
> forgiving.
> 2. There's a preview for the naming template process -- again, easier and
> more foolproof, and a dropdown offers some pre-made options.
> 3. The dialog's working list is derived from the selection in Navigator
> when the command is issued, but it's text -- anything can be modified,
> deleted, or added before processing.
> 4. There is a button to add enclosed objects. So it's possible to select a
> group, card, or stack in Navigator, select the command, and then add
> enclosed objects to include all the controls in that container -- or
> containers, it processes everything in the list.
> 5. There is a button to add behavior chains, so it's possible to select one
> control that has a chain of fifty behaviors, and click the button to add
> them all to the list to be processed.
> 6. Both Convert and Restore have a preview option -- use it and the
> resulting log will show exactly what will be done, without actually doing
> any of it.
>
> gc

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
What are you seeing happen when you do this? One thing I've noticed is that
the script editor window doesn't come to the foreground by itself if the
script is already open in any tab of the editor. So using something like
Edit Behaviors will cause the editor to show that script, but still be
sitting behind whatever other windows are open.

Or maybe you're seeing something else? What LC version and platform?

gc

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Mark Talluto via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> I am super excited to see you working on Navigator.
>
> I have one little issue with it as it stands. I can not edit behaviors any
> longer. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I did the right click ->
> “Edit Behavior Scripts” on a card that has a behavior associated with it.
> The line is blue in color indicating that it has a behavior.
>
> I will go back to an older version for now.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Talluto
> livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
> nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
> canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>
>

> > On Feb 3, 2018, at 10:52 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The update is now available here
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcqxxriwzzjcm45/navigator_5.zip?dl=1>. I
> haven't
> > updated the documentation yet. The main changes are:
> >
> > 1. The whole convert-to-behaviors and restore-from-behaviors bit has been
> > moved to its own custom palette, opened from Navigator. This makes the
> > whole process much clearer, and setting the options is easier and more
> > forgiving.
> > 2. There's a preview for the naming template process -- again, easier and
> > more foolproof, and a dropdown offers some pre-made options.
> > 3. The dialog's working list is derived from the selection in Navigator
> > when the command is issued, but it's text -- anything can be modified,
> > deleted, or added before processing.
> > 4. There is a button to add enclosed objects. So it's possible to select
> > group, card, or stack in Navigator, select the command, and then add
> > enclosed objects to include all the controls in that container -- or
> > containers, it processes everything in the list.
> > 5. There is a button to add behavior chains, so it's possible to select
> one
> > control that has a chain of fifty behaviors, and click the button to add
> > them all to the list to be processed.
> > 6. Both Convert and Restore have a preview option -- use it and the
> > resulting log will show exactly what will be done, without actually doing
> > any of it.
> >
> > gc

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Or is it that it's editing the object script? I rewrote that code to follow
any number of behavior links until it finds one with a script (or runs out)
and edit the script of that. But I started from the object script, so if
the object has a script and a behavior, it will edit the object script. I
can fix that. The next step is to make it a submenu if there are more than
one behavior, with all of them listed so you can edit any you like.

I can fix it so it starts from the behavior, if that's what you're running
into.

gc

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> select a
>> > group, card, or stack in Navigator, select the command, and then add
>> > enclosed objects to include all the controls in that container -- or
>> > containers, it processes everything in the list.
>> > 5. There is a button to add behavior chains, so it's possible to select
>> one
>> > control that has a chain of fifty behaviors, and click the button to add
>> > them all to the list to be processed.
>> > 6. Both Convert and Restore have a preview option -- use it and the
>> > resulting log will show exactly what will be done, without actually
>> doing
>> > any of it.
>> >
>> > gc

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Yes. The object does have its own script. Older versions of Navigator allowed me to pick the script to edit with an option key combo/double click…or however I set up my prefs.

In the current version, you can only see the objects script even if you tell it that you want to see the associated behavior.

Allowing us to pick depending on the prefs would be perfect!

-Mark

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 11:40 PM, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Or is it that it's editing the object script? I rewrote that code to follow
> any number of behavior links until it finds one with a script (or runs out)
> and edit the script of that. But I started from the object script, so if
> the object has a script and a behavior, it will edit the object script. I
> can fix that. The next step is to make it a submenu if there are more than
> one behavior, with all of them listed so you can edit any you like.
>
> I can fix it so it starts from the behavior, if that's what you're running
> into.
>
> gc
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Geoff Canyon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What are you seeing happen when you do this? One thing I've noticed is
>> that the script editor window doesn't come to the foreground by itself if
>> the script is already open in any tab of the editor. So using something
>> like Edit Behaviors will cause the editor to show that script, but still be
>> sitting behind whatever other windows are open.
>>
>> Or maybe you're seeing something else? What LC version and platform?
>>
>> gc
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Mark Talluto via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Geoff,
>>>
>>> I am super excited to see you working on Navigator.
>>>
>>> I have one little issue with it as it stands. I can not edit behaviors
>>> any longer. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I did the right click ->
>>> “Edit Behavior Scripts” on a card that has a behavior associated with it.
>>> The line is blue in color indicating that it has a behavior.
>>>
>>> I will go back to an older version for now.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Mark Talluto
>>> livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
>>> nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>
>>> canelasoftware.com <http://www.canelasoftware.com/>

>>> haven't

>>> been
>>> and
>>> select a
>>> one
>>> doing

Re: Navigator update: better conversion to behaviors, better property editing, better version control, and send to private commands

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Just a quick FYI. I got an early build that has this fixed! Geoff Canyon is amazing. Thanks for all of your hard work on this very useful plugin.

-Mark Talluto