Newbie Question

Hamburger1
I'm in the process of switching from HyperCard. I put several handlers &
functions in my home stack that are used in other stacks. Where do I put these
scripts in Revolution?

Re: Newbie Question

xbury.cs
Hi Hamburger

You can either do a frontscript or the good old stackinuse

cheers
Xavier

On 14/07/2005 13:55:25 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>I'm in the process of switching from HyperCard. I put several handlers &
>functions in my home stack that are used in other stacks. Where do I put
these
>scripts in Revolution?

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER

Re: Newbie Question

Dan Shafer
Hi, Hamburger1!

Welcome to the Revolution.

WHile there are lots of options for this in Rev (Xavier has already
pointed out two), as an old stackhead myself I think the best way to
do this is to create a stack (you can even call it "Home" for all Rev
cares!) to store all of this reusable stuff in and then when you have
a stack where you want to use it, just use a command like:

start using stack "Home"

This creates what Rev calls a "library" stack. It is so darned
efficient and effective that once you get used to it you'll wonder
how you lived without it. I have several such libraries that contain
related groups of scripts.

You'll also want to spend some time understanding the message path in
Rev, which is sufficiently different from HyperCard's to cause some
confusion in the early going. My book, "Revolution: Software at th
Speed of Thought", is available through the RunRev store and has a
good discussion of the topic but may be a bit introductory level for
someone with serious HC experience. Richard Gaskin over at
FourthWorld has a great white paper on the message path and how you
can extend it with libraries, front and back scripts, etc. (URL:
http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
revolution_message_path.html).

On Jul 14, 2005, at 4:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm in the process of switching from HyperCard. I put several
> handlers &
> functions in my home stack that are used in other stacks. Where do
> I put these
> scripts in Revolution?

Dan Shafer, Revolution Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
 From the RunRev online store

RE: Newbie Question

MisterX
Hi Dan,

With all respect but if you type

  the effective filename of stack home

in the msg box you will get not false or an error
but your license.rev stack (well hidden eh?)...

MC also has one i think (substack of mchelp stack).

If it's possible, more power to you cause that's how it was working in
HyperCard (much better wasn't it?).

Sounds like another conflict just waiting to happen at the most innoportune
moment if you trick this... Maybe the license stack is only checked at
startup so then you might be home free... But since the license stack is in
the root folder of the rev installation in windows in the least then it's
very probable that some stack name conflict might happen!

Just for your info... just in case...
I dont know if allowing us to use "home" or whether the license deal is a
protection, nonetheless im dubiously dubitative on the possible
implications!

cheerios
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com
More than just cool Moires

Re: Newbie Question

J. Landman Gay
On 7/14/05 6:55 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm in the process of switching from HyperCard. I put several handlers &
> functions in my home stack that are used in other stacks. Where do I put these
> scripts in Revolution?

I needed to do this too. Create a stack and put your handlers into the
stack script. Add this handler to the script of the first card:

on openstack
  start using this stack
  pass openstack -- this is optional
end openstack

It is important that you put this into the card script rather than the
stack script, so that it won't interfere with other stacks when they open.

Save the stack and drop it into the Rev plugins folder. Restart Rev.
Choose "Plugin settings" from the Development -> Plugins menu, select
your stack from the drop-down menu, and choose to open the plugin when
Revolution starts up. You can decide whether you want it to open
invisibly or not, it doesn't matter (I keep mine invisible.)

The next time you restart Revolution, the plugin will load automatically
and its stack script will be available just as the Home stack was in
HyperCard. Note that you should not name your stack "Home" as was
suggested elsewhere -- Revolution already has a Home stack and this
would cause a name conflict.

Re: Newbie Question

Dan Shafer
OK, point taken, Xavier.

You can't have a stack named "Home".

Seems kinda stupid since the stack doesn't have the name, but, what
the heck.

Dan

On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:58 AM, MisterX wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> With all respect but if you type
>
>   the effective filename of stack home
>
> in the msg box you will get not false or an error
> but your license.rev stack (well hidden eh?)...
>
> MC also has one i think (substack of mchelp stack).
>
> If it's possible, more power to you cause that's how it was working in
> HyperCard (much better wasn't it?).
>
> Sounds like another conflict just waiting to happen at the most
> innoportune
> moment if you trick this... Maybe the license stack is only checked at
> startup so then you might be home free... But since the license
> stack is in
> the root folder of the rev installation in windows in the least
> then it's
> very probable that some stack name conflict might happen!
>
> Just for your info... just in case...
> I dont know if allowing us to use "home" or whether the license
> deal is a
> protection, nonetheless im dubiously dubitative on the possible
> implications!
>
> cheerios
> Xavier
> http://monsieurx.com
> More than just cool Moires

Lynch, Jonathan
Can you have a stack named "stack"  ?

On 7/14/05 2:17 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> OK, point taken, Xavier.
>
> You can't have a stack named "Home".
>
> Seems kinda stupid since the stack doesn't have the name, but, what  the
> heck.

Actually, the stack itself is named "home", but it isn't the name of the
stack file on disk. It's a stealth Home. :)

Re: Newbie Question

mwieder
Dan-

DS> OK, point taken, Xavier.

DS> You can't have a stack named "Home".

DS> Seems kinda stupid since the stack doesn't have the name, but, what
DS> the heck.

FWIW, I just posted an enhancement request (BZ #3007) suggesting that
"home" only refer to the license stack if hcAddressing is true. It'll
probably break the IDE, but, hey, it's Bastille Day and I felt like
storming the walls of the "home" paradigm.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Newbie Question

Dan Shafer
I shoulda picked up on that one.

Senior moment.

Dan

On Jul 14, 2005, at 12:51 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 7/14/05 2:17 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>

>> OK, point taken, Xavier.
>> You can't have a stack named "Home".
>> Seems kinda stupid since the stack doesn't have the name, but,
>> what  the heck.
>>

> Actually, the stack itself is named "home", but it isn't the name
> of the stack file on disk. It's a stealth Home. :)

RE: Newbie Question

MisterX
Hey, surprise

you can have a AdobeHome stack or a SimpleWookHome stack or AnyLogHome stack
or
even just a shacklookinghome in the frontscript to do your bidding. For our
international users, we also offer myCasaEnLaPlaya home stack or
LeChaletSurLeMountain stack ;)

Le chimeney not included (french accent is included though)

cheers
Xavier