No names of new objects with engine 5?

Klaus on-rev
Hi friends,

someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
newly created objects do not have a name!?

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Richard Gaskin
On 11/1/11 10:40 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
> newly created objects do not have a name!?

I've seen this in v4.6.4 as well.

Not sure if it's a bug per se, or whether it will break any scripts that
had depended on the behavior from all previous versions, but definitely odd.

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Am 01.11.2011 um 18:40 schrieb Klaus on-rev:

> Hi friends,
>
> someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
> newly created objects do not have a name!?

this still applies to the new 5.02 engine, published today.

Is there any front- or backscript in the MC IDE, where we could
"correct" this behaviour somehow? I forgot about this...

Thanks!

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Ken Ray

On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

Hi friends,

Am 01.11.2011 um 18:40 schrieb Klaus on-rev:

Hi friends,

someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
newly created objects do not have a name!?

this still applies to the new 5.02 engine, published today.

Is there any front- or backscript in the MC IDE, where we could
"correct" this behaviour somehow? I forgot about this…

Good point, Klaus! I'll take care of it for the next update...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Ken Ray

On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

Hi friends,

Am 01.11.2011 um 18:40 schrieb Klaus on-rev:

Hi friends,

someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
newly created objects do not have a name!?

this still applies to the new 5.02 engine, published today.

Is there any front- or backscript in the MC IDE, where we could
"correct" this behaviour somehow? I forgot about this…

BTW: I checked under MC 4, and it seems that the only object that ever got a name was a button ("New Button"); all the other objects started without names. Does this sound right to you? If so, I'll fix the IDE to put the name back in for buttons only (as an option, so those who like it the "new" way can leave it that way).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Klaus on-rev
Hi Ken,

Am 13.12.2011 um 18:48 schrieb Ken Ray:

> On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:
>> Hi friends,
>> Am 01.11.2011 um 18:40 schrieb Klaus on-rev:
>>> Hi friends,
>>> someone also experienced that with engine 5.0.0
>>> newly created objects do not have a name!?
>>
>> this still applies to the new 5.02 engine, published today.
>>
>> Is there any front- or backscript in the MC IDE, where we could
>> "correct" this behaviour somehow? I forgot about this…
>
> BTW: I checked under MC 4, and it seems that the only object that ever got a name was a button ("New Button"); all the other objects started without names.

just checked and ALL newly created objects do NOT have a name!
Fields, Images, buttons, Scrollbars, Player et...

> Does this sound right to you?

See above.

> If so, I'll fix the IDE to put the name back in for buttons only (as an option, so those who like it the "new" way can leave it that way).

Where can I check this (and fix it for me)?
I mean where can I "hook" in the MC IDE?

On 12/13/11 9:57 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Am 13.12.2011 um 18:48 schrieb Ken Ray:
>
>> On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Klaus on-rev wrote:
>>> Hi friends,
>>>
>>> this still applies to the new 5.02 engine, published today.
>>>
>>> Is there any front- or backscript in the MC IDE, where we could
>>> "correct" this behaviour somehow? I forgot about this…
>>
>> BTW: I checked under MC 4, and it seems that the only object that ever got a name was a button ("New Button"); all the other objects started without names.
>
> just checked and ALL newly created objects do NOT have a name!
> Fields, Images, buttons, Scrollbars, Player et...
>
>> Does this sound right to you?
>
> See above.
>
>> If so, I'll fix the IDE to put the name back in for buttons only (as an option, so those who like it the "new" way can leave it that way).
>
> Where can I check this (and fix it for me)?
> I mean where can I "hook" in the MC IDE?

This appears to be an engine bug, introduced some time in the 4.x series.

A change of this scope cannot be assumed to be a feature, probably
rightly considered a bug, and should be addressed in the engine.

Has this been filed as a bug report?

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Ken Ray
This appears to be an engine bug, introduced some time in the 4.x series.

A change of this scope cannot be assumed to be a feature, probably rightly considered a bug, and should be addressed in the engine.

Has this been filed as a bug report?

Actually it was introduced in 4.6.4; prior to that (going back to MC 3.5 at least), only buttons were created with a default name - all other objects were created without one. So LC 5 made it "consistent" (theoretically), but definitely unexpected, and with the possiblity of breaking scripts. I don't think it was logged as a bug, though...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Ken Ray

On Dec Where can I check this (and fix it for me)?

I mean where can I "hook" in the MC IDE?

To be comprehensive, I'd want to do it in two places:

1) In the newButton handler of the MC IDE Backscript, add this before "choose pointer tool":

set the name of the target to "New Button"

2) In the preOpenStack handler of the first card of the "MetaCard Menu Bar" stack, put this before "set the mcversion of stack…":

set the name of the templateButton to "New Button"

I think that should cover it in most cases…

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray@...
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Re: No names of new objects with engine 5?

Ken Ray
Whoops! Need to change this:

1) In the newButton handler of the MC IDE Backscript, add this before "choose pointer tool":

set the name of the target to "New Button"

to this:

if the name of the target contains "button id" then
  set the name of the target to "New Button"
end if

Otherwise it affects option-dragged clones of buttons...

On 12/13/11 10:33 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

>> This appears to be an engine bug, introduced some time in the 4.x series.
>>
>> A change of this scope cannot be assumed to be a feature, probably
>> rightly considered a bug, and should be addressed in the engine.
>>
>> Has this been filed as a bug report?
>
> Actually it was introduced in 4.6.4; prior to that (going back to MC 3.5
> at least), only buttons were created with a default name - all other
> objects were created without one. So LC 5 made it "consistent"
> (theoretically), but definitely unexpected, and with the possiblity of
> breaking scripts. I don't think it was logged as a bug, though...

Yes, going back to v3.5 I can see this was for buttons only.

Since the change makes the behavior consistent among object types, I'm
no longer confident that it should be considered a bug.

Sometimes we have to be willing to accept a few changes to our scripts
to see the language improve.  I think this is one of those instances.

Am 13.12.2011 um 19:44 schrieb Ken Ray:

> Whoops! Need to change this:
>
>> 1) In the newButton handler of the MC IDE Backscript, add this before "choose pointer tool":
>>
>> set the name of the target to "New Button"

I added the appropriate objects to all the "NEW_Whatever" handlers and it works fine for me!
Thanks for the hint!

> to this:
>
> if the name of the target contains "button id" then
>  set the name of the target to "New Button"
> end if
> Otherwise it affects option-dragged clones of buttons...
>
> Ken Ray

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

I'm back!

Alain Farmer
Hello,

It's Alain, the HyperCard Pantechnicon host.. I have been using HyperCard since 1986, MetaCard 2.5 since 1996, but I never made the leap to RunRev, specifically LiveCode these days. Now I am seriously considering it, so I have some questions for y'all:

* With MetaCard 2.5, above a [few] thousand cards, performance slowed down dramatically.
Is Rev faster than this? Can Rev handle tens-of-thousands of cards? Would it require Valentina?
Does Rev support mySQL databases ?

* MetaCard started in the UNIX world, was then ported to windows, then ported to Mac.
Does Rev run on Linux? Does Rev run on Debian ?

* Rev's web plugin is available for which browsers ?
FireFox ? IceWeasel ? Chrome ?

* Is there a Rev licence that allows standalones ? If so, how much does it cost ?

* Best way(s) to learn LiveCode ?

Thanks y'all, and I hope that I will be joining you soon,  :)

Alain

Re: I'm back!

Ray Horsley-2
Alain - I'll answer as best as I can, inline, below...

On 9/20/2012 10:25 PM, Alain Farmer wrote:
Hello,

It's Alain, the HyperCard Pantechnicon host.. I have been using HyperCard since 1986, MetaCard 2.5 since 1996, but I never made the leap to RunRev, specifically LiveCode these days. Now I am seriously considering it, so I have some questions for y'all:

* With MetaCard 2.5, above a [few] thousand cards, performance slowed down dramatically.
Is Rev faster than this? Can Rev handle tens-of-thousands of cards?
I believe so.
Would it require Valentina?
Does Rev support mySQL databases ?
Drivers exist for some databases including Valentina.

* MetaCard started in the UNIX world, was then ported to windows, then ported to Mac.
Does Rev run on Linux? Does Rev run on Debian ?
Yes to Linux.  Not sure about Debian.

* Rev's web plugin is available for which browsers ?
FireFox ? IceWeasel ? Chrome ?
Unfortunately RunRev has discontinued all support of the plugin.  It's currently broken with no plans from RunRev to fix it.

* Is there a Rev licence that allows standalones ? If so, how much does it cost ?
I think it's about $400.  They might have lowered this fee.

* Best way(s) to learn LiveCode ?
Alain, as far as I can tell RunRev is concentrating all their efforts in the mobile app arena.  You can of course still use Livecode to create traditional desktop apps, however, if you're looking to create web applications you're probably better off with something like Construct 2 which exports directly to HTML5.

Regards,

Ray Horsley

On 9/20/12 1:25 PM, Alain Farmer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's Alain, the HyperCard Pantechnicon host.. I have been using
> HyperCard since 1986, MetaCard 2.5 since 1996, but I never made the leap
> to RunRev, specifically LiveCode these days. Now I am seriously
> considering it, so I have some questions for y'all:
>
> * With MetaCard 2.5, above a [few] thousand cards, performance slowed
> down dramatically.
> Is Rev faster than this? Can Rev handle tens-of-thousands of cards?

MC is just a collection of stacks; the engine is the same regardless
which stacks one uses for the IDE.

> Would it require Valentina?

Valentina is supported, but not required.

> Does Rev support mySQL databases ?

MySQL, SQLite, and ODBC are supported.  If relationality isn't a key
feature of your data you may also store data in custom properties, or in
arrays run through arrayEncode for saving.

> * MetaCard started in the UNIX world, was then ported to windows, then
> ported to Mac.
> Does Rev run on Linux? Does Rev run on Debian ?

LiveCode runs well on Debian, and Debian-based distros like Ubuntu,
Mind, and others.  It also runs well on Red Hat, and most other distros
that meet the requirements list here under the Linux section:
<http://www.runrev.com/products/desktop-deployment/linux-desktops/>

FWIW, I know split most of my development time between OS X and Ubuntu
these days, and find recent versions of LiveCode very productive on
Linux.  Still not quite at feature parity with other platforms for a few
things like video playback (QT dependency; also FUBAR on Windows without
QT), but most core features run well.

> * Rev's web plugin is available for which browsers ?
> FireFox ?IceWeasel? Chrome ?

RevWeb has been discontinued, primarily because of significant
differences among browsers with regard to 32-bit plugins.

> * Is there a Rev licence that allows standalones ? If so, how much does
> it cost ?

I believe all licenses allow standalones.

> * Best way(s) to learn LiveCode ?

Start coding. :)

You may also want to join the forums:
<http://forums.runrev.com/>

> Thanks y'all, and I hope that I will be joining you soon,  :)
>
> Alain

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Re: I'm back!

J. Landman Gay
On 9/20/12 3:25 PM, Alain Farmer wrote:

> * With MetaCard 2.5, above a [few] thousand cards, performance slowed
> down dramatically.
>
> Is Rev faster than this? Can Rev handle tens-of-thousands of cards?
> Would it require Valentina? Does Rev support mySQL databases ?

For that many cards you should still use a database. Valentina is a
commercial option but not required. LiveCode ships with drivers for
mySQL, ODBC, Oracle, postgresql, and sqlite.

> * MetaCard started in the UNIX world, was then ported to windows,
> then ported to Mac. Does Rev run on Linux? Does Rev run on Debian ?

Yes, though the Linux product has some catching up to do. There is more
effort being put into it recently. Several people on the LiveCode list
use Linux varieties exclusively and often offer help and support. There
are some required libraries and not all combinations work perfectly. The
engine is optimized for a standard Ubuntu installation.

> * Rev's web plugin is available for which browsers ?

It's been discontinued. The last version only runs on browsers in 32-bit
mode, which few do any more.

> * Is there a Rev licence that allows standalones ? If so, how much
> does it cost ?

There are lots of options and all allow you to build standalones. They
have just implemented a pay-as-you-go option that allows you to use the
product by the month at a low cost, but if you plan to stick with it for
more than a few months, the perpetual license is a better buy. The
pricing grid is here: <http://www.runrev.com/store/>

> * Best way(s) to learn LiveCode ?

The scripting conference stacks, the User Guide, the dictionary, and
most of all, the forums and mailing list. You won't have much trouble,
you already know the language and syntax. Your biggest hurdle will be
unlearning some HC things that are done differently for cross-platform
compatibility.

> Thanks y'all, and I hope that I will be joining you soon,  :)

I hope so too. Most everyone is over there now.

RE: I'm back!

FlexibleLearning.com
Hey Alain! Welcome home!

Ray, Richard and Jacque have answered you already so I'll not repeat...

Just wanted to say hi :) and see you on the use-livecode-request list!

Hugh Senior
FLCo

Re: I'm back!

Alain Farmer
The subject heading should have been: << I'm home! >>  ;-)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Special thanks to Ray, Richard, Jacque, and Hugh Senior.

I will be in touch,  :)

Alain