Not Corruption

Bob Sneidar-2
I feel so stupid. But I must confess I screwed up.

I have a login stack that when a user logs in it sets properties of the mainstack to which it belongs, like the userid, the login name, the permissions level etc. Well one of the properties it sets is... wait for it... PASSWORD!!! I was setting the PASSWORD of the MAINSTACK to a salted aes256 bit encryption key!!!! GAH!

What I am doing instead is having one property called logindata containing an array containing all the data. DOH! What a maroon!!

Re: Not Corruption

J. Landman Gay
On 1/4/17 4:05 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I feel so stupid. But I must confess I screwed up.

You did the right thing posting here. I have a client who runs into
problems all the time, so we schedule a Skype session where I can see
what's going wrong. Invariably, as soon as she tells me about the issue
and I'm watching her screen, she immediately figures out the reason
without my help. All I have to do is be there.

So, we were here. Carry on. :)

Re: Not Corruption

Stephen Barncard-5
This is the case will all tech problem solving. And why I can't find my
keys and my daughter can, instantly, with a smirk.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Not Corruption

Dr. Hawkins
wrote:

> You did the right thing posting here. I have a client who runs into
> problems all the time, so we schedule a Skype session where I can see
> what's going wrong. Invariably, as soon as she tells me about the issue and
> I'm watching her screen, she immediately figures out the reason without my
> help.

When I was in grad school in the late 90s, I chatted at a conference with
another grad student who spent time at the university support desk.

He just couldn't find what was going wrong with the professor's fax modem
attempts over the phone.

Finally, "Let's go back to the beginning.  What file are you trying to
send?"

File?  What file?

"The one that you want the computer to send"

No, it's a document; I want to fax it.

The good professor was holding his document up to the screen . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Not Corruption

J. Landman Gay
On 1/4/17 4:46 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> You did the right thing posting here. I have a client who runs into
>> problems all the time, so we schedule a Skype session where I can see
>> what's going wrong. Invariably, as soon as she tells me about the issue and
>> I'm watching her screen, she immediately figures out the reason without my
>> help.
>

> When I was in grad school in the late 90s, I chatted at a conference with
> another grad student who spent time at the university support desk.
>
> He just couldn't find what was going wrong with the professor's fax modem
> attempts over the phone.
>
> Finally, "Let's go back to the beginning.  What file are you trying to
> send?"
>
> File?  What file?
>
> "The one that you want the computer to send"
>
> No, it's a document; I want to fax it.
>
> The good professor was holding his document up to the screen . . .

Sounds remarkably like a possible urban legend I read, where a secretary
was asked to copy a floppy disk, so she put it into the Xerox machine.

Re: Not Corruption

Dr. Hawkins
On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 3:33 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sounds remarkably like a possible urban legend I read, where a secretary
> was asked to copy a floppy disk, so she put it into the Xerox machine.

In this case, I was speaking to the guy that got the call.

Frankly, though, this is one that I would bet actually happened hundreds,
if not thousands, of times.

And my first stint of practicing law led to Hawkins' Second Law: There is
no lower bound to human intelligence.

(I've forgotten the first law; it was a special case of the second)

My little brother spent some unpleasant time on first tier tech support;
the stupid calls are not exaggerations.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Not Corruption

JJS via use-livecode
sez J. Landman Gay:
> On 1/4/17 4:05 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> > I feel so stupid. But I must confess I screwed up.
> You did the right thing posting here. I have a client who runs into
> problems all the time, so we schedule a Skype session where I can see
> what's going wrong. Invariably, as soon as she tells me about the issue
> and I'm watching her screen, she immediately figures out the reason
> without my help. All I have to do is be there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

"Bewitched" + "Charlie's Angels" - Charlie = "At Arm's Length"

Read the webcomic at [ http://www.atarmslength.net ]!

If you like "At Arm's Length", support it at [ http://www.patreon.com/DarkwingDude ].

Re: Not Corruption

JJS via use-livecode
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And my first stint of practicing law led to Hawkins' Second Law: There is
> no lower bound to human intelligence.
>
> (I've forgotten the first law; it was a special case of the second)

I'm assuming the old "The difference between genius and stupidity is
that genius has it's limits".