Not LiveCode - Bug code

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not LiveCode - Bug code

Vaughn Clement
Hi how to

 I stayed off the list for quite a while because I feel that LiveCode is a
continuous beta test. Nearly every time I start to use it I run to bugs
that prevent me from finishing a app. The implications are that every time
you finish an application and want to upload it to Apple, that it may have
a bug or many bugs that will prevent the application from performing
correctly. For that reason, I decided to wait until there was a bug free
version that was reliable for apps on iTunes.

Unfortunately, eight months have passed where what I called bug code is
still not a finished product. It's hard enough just to understand all the
different versions that are out there, without trying to traverse the one
that would work correctly. I've never seen a product developed in this way
where there are several versions for users that are not out of beta test. I
paid very good money for a product that has a lot of potential. But when I
received is the longest beta test I've ever experienced. My suggestion is
to LiveCode, get a finished full released version that people can use with
reliability! Then you can continue your beta test on the side until you
have a full release version with all the new features.

It seems like I get another version of LiveCode every week or two, and the
disclaimer on the releases use it at your own risk. If this is the case,
where again to be spending months without a release copy that is bug free,
then LiveCode needs to extend our license until a full release copy is
available. I didn't pay for a beta copy, I paid for a full released
product. It's time for LiveCode to understand that a community of beta
testers cannot be satisfied until there is a full released version with no
bugs.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
On Target Solutions LLC Website: http://www.ontargetsolutions.biz
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: vaughn.clement

FaceTime: [hidden email]
Ph. 928-254-9062
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not LiveCode - Bug code

J. Landman Gay
On 12/6/2014, 10:16 AM, Vaughn Clement wrote:
> My suggestion is
> to LiveCode, get a finished full released version that people can use with
> reliability!

Try version 6.6.5, which has been very reliable for me, or 6.7 which is
stable for most uses. Those are final releases. The others are indeed
betas that you can ignore until they go final. They are available for
testing, but if you don't want to do that you don't need to. The
pre-releases are provided so that developers can know what is coming and
test their apps against new features, but they are expected to have bugs.

Version 7.0 is a huge rewrite that affects the entire core of the
engine. Think of it as gutting your entire house and rebuilding from the
foundation on up. It implements not only unicode, but restructuring the
entire engine, which touches almost every one of several million lines
of code. The project is an immense undertaking and will not be bug-free
for quite some time.

This restructuring is a one-time thing that will allow us to do far more
than the engine can currently provide. But due to the scope of the
changes, it will take time to complete. Because users needed Cocoa
support for Mac, RR introduced that in version 6.7, writing it in tandem
with the 7.0 overhaul. That way iOS apps could still be developed while
the larger rewrite was in progress. The two share bug fixes for the
features they have in common. Once 7.0 is finalized, version 6.7 will no
longer be necessary.

The short answer is -- avoid the pre-release versions and stick with the
last stable version if you don't want to be involved in the testing process.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not LiveCode - Bug code

Vaughn Clement
Hi How to

Does 6.6.5 provide support for all the new IOS 8 features, and also does
auto sizing for different screens? Shortly Apple will require 64 bit for
new app submissions. What is the status of this requirement for Feb 2015?
If it is not available, you will not be able to submit your app to Apple.
By the way I had to stop using 6.7 due to bugs that are not yet fixed.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
On Target Solutions LLC Website: http://www.ontargetsolutions.biz
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: vaughn.clement

FaceTime: [hidden email]
Ph. 928-254-9062


On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 12/6/2014, 10:16 AM, Vaughn Clement wrote:
>
>> My suggestion is
>> to LiveCode, get a finished full released version that people can use with
>> reliability!
>>
>
> Try version 6.6.5, which has been very reliable for me, or 6.7 which is
> stable for most uses. Those are final releases. The others are indeed betas
> that you can ignore until they go final. They are available for testing,
> but if you don't want to do that you don't need to. The pre-releases are
> provided so that developers can know what is coming and test their apps
> against new features, but they are expected to have bugs.
>
> Version 7.0 is a huge rewrite that affects the entire core of the engine.
> Think of it as gutting your entire house and rebuilding from the foundation
> on up. It implements not only unicode, but restructuring the entire engine,
> which touches almost every one of several million lines of code. The
> project is an immense undertaking and will not be bug-free for quite some
> time.
>
> This restructuring is a one-time thing that will allow us to do far more
> than the engine can currently provide. But due to the scope of the changes,
> it will take time to complete. Because users needed Cocoa support for Mac,
> RR introduced that in version 6.7, writing it in tandem with the 7.0
> overhaul. That way iOS apps could still be developed while the larger
> rewrite was in progress. The two share bug fixes for the features they have
> in common. Once 7.0 is finalized, version 6.7 will no longer be necessary.
>
> The short answer is -- avoid the pre-release versions and stick with the
> last stable version if you don't want to be involved in the testing process.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not LiveCode - Bug code

Dave Kilroy
LiveCode 6.5 does indeed support iOS8, but I wouldn't think it would support ALL iOS features (LiveCode didn't support ALL iOS7 features). I think earlier versions needed some work-arounds for differentiating between 6 and 6plus screens but that these are sorted out now. As regards 64 bit, not yet but it's coming 'soon'...
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not LiveCode - Bug code

Trevor DeVore
In reply to this post by Vaughn Clement
On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shortly Apple will require 64 bit for new app submissions. What is the
> status of this requirement for Feb 2015?
> If it is not available, you will not be able to submit your app to Apple.
>

I don't know that RunRev has said anything official about this but Fraser
has a feature-ios_64bit branch on his github account. On December 4th there
were a couple of commits related to 64-bit support. One in particular was a
commit with this description:

[[ iOS 64-bit ]] Code changes required to get 64-bit iOS to compile

So it looks like they are making progress on 64-bit support.

For those who are interested in the actual work being done on the engine
you can always follow along. Here are instructions I wrote for using
SourceTree to monitor progress.

http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/2014/07/using-sourcetree-to-monitor-progress-on-livecode/

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps
www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not LiveCode - Bug code

Vaughn Clement
Hi

I checked out the link and it may be very informative.

On Saturday, December 6, 2014, Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Vaughn Clement <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Shortly Apple will require 64 bit for new app submissions. What is the
> > status of this requirement for Feb 2015?
> > If it is not available, you will not be able to submit your app to Apple.
> >
>
> I don't know that RunRev has said anything official about this but Fraser
> has a feature-ios_64bit branch on his github account. On December 4th there
> were a couple of commits related to 64-bit support. One in particular was a
> commit with this description:
>
> [[ iOS 64-bit ]] Code changes required to get 64-bit iOS to compile
>
> So it looks like they are making progress on 64-bit support.
>
> For those who are interested in the actual work being done on the engine
> you can always follow along. Here are instructions I wrote for using
> SourceTree to monitor progress.
>
>
> http://www.bluemangolearning.com/livecode/2014/07/using-sourcetree-to-monitor-progress-on-livecode/
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com    -    www.clarify-it.com
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>


--
Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
On Target Solutions LLC Website: http://www.ontargetsolutions.biz
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: vaughn.clement

FaceTime: [hidden email]
Ph. 928-254-9062
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode