OCR

Mike Kerner
Anyone thinking OCR for LC?

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Roger Eller
I have needed it for an android app before.  I looked into shelling a
tesserract command.  That could be a nice widget since it is OS.

https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki

https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract

~Roger

On Oct 3, 2016 8:34 AM, "Mike Kerner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone thinking OCR for LC?

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Mike Bonner
Might look here too: https://cloud.google.com/vision/ and here
https://developers.google.com/vision/text-overview

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have needed it for an android app before.  I looked into shelling a
> tesserract command.  That could be a nice widget since it is OS.
>
> https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki
>
> https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract
>
> ~Roger
>
> On Oct 3, 2016 8:34 AM, "Mike Kerner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone thinking OCR for LC?
> >
> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >    and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Mike Kerner
Have either of you tried these, and if so, have you tested response time?

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might look here too: https://cloud.google.com/vision/ and here
> https://developers.google.com/vision/text-overview
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I have needed it for an android app before.  I looked into shelling a
> > tesserract command.  That could be a nice widget since it is OS.
> >
> > https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki
> >
> > https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract
> >
> > ~Roger
> >
> > On Oct 3, 2016 8:34 AM, "Mike Kerner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone thinking OCR for LC?
> > >
> > > --
> > > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> > >    and did a little diving.
> > > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Mike Bonner
I haven't.  I've used an extension in the past that I believe was driven by
google ocr (in chrome) and it worked well. The nice thing is the google
platform is a rest api, with google computing power behind it.  Not sure
how easy it would be to integrate into livecode but hey.. Its rest.  The
biggest limitation ( in my eyes) would be connection speed to move image
data around.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Have either of you tried these, and if so, have you tested response time?
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Might look here too: https://cloud.google.com/vision/ and here
> > https://developers.google.com/vision/text-overview
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have needed it for an android app before.  I looked into shelling a
> > > tesserract command.  That could be a nice widget since it is OS.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki
> > >
> > > https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract
> > >
> > > ~Roger

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Mike Kerner
After you sent it, I uploaded a sample of what the camera would see.  I was
disappointed in the results, so I'm worried that that solution is going to
be a problem.  We would have to grab the image, upload it, see if the OCR
passes a sanity test, and if it doesn't, take and upload another image,
etc.  It's an interesting idea, though, if the image isn't so challenging.

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't.  I've used an extension in the past that I believe was driven by
> google ocr (in chrome) and it worked well. The nice thing is the google
> platform is a rest api, with google computing power behind it.  Not sure
> how easy it would be to integrate into livecode but hey.. Its rest.  The
> biggest limitation ( in my eyes) would be connection speed to move image
> data around.
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Have either of you tried these, and if so, have you tested response time?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Might look here too: https://cloud.google.com/vision/ and here
> > > https://developers.google.com/vision/text-overview
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Roger Eller <
> [hidden email]

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >    and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: OCR

Roger Eller
Speaking of using the camera for OCR, the Google Translate app is pretty
amazing at real-time OCR+translation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate&hl=en

~Roger

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> After you sent it, I uploaded a sample of what the camera would see.  I was
> disappointed in the results, so I'm worried that that solution is going to
> be a problem.  We would have to grab the image, upload it, see if the OCR
> passes a sanity test, and if it doesn't, take and upload another image,
> etc.  It's an interesting idea, though, if the image isn't so challenging.
>
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I haven't.  I've used an extension in the past that I believe was driven
> by
> > google ocr (in chrome) and it worked well. The nice thing is the google
> > platform is a rest api, with google computing power behind it.  Not sure
> > how easy it would be to integrate into livecode but hey.. Its rest.  The
> > biggest limitation ( in my eyes) would be connection speed to move image
> > data around.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Have either of you tried these, and if so, have you tested response
> time?

> > [hidden email]

> shelling a

> > > --
> > > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> > >    and did a little diving.
> > > And God said, "This is good."

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."