Quantcast

OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
LC 9.0dp6 triggers the OS X firewall every time I launch it. I know I
can set the firewall to accept LC so it won't warn me, but I'm wondering
what LC is doing that makes that happen. I suspect it has something to
do with remote debugging. Does anyone know?

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode

> On 11 Apr 2017, at 4:21 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> LC 9.0dp6 triggers the OS X firewall every time I launch it. I know I can set the firewall to accept LC so it won't warn me, but I'm wondering what LC is doing that makes that happen. I suspect it has something to do with remote debugging. Does anyone know?

Yes the IDE is accepting connections for the remote debugger to work. Standalones then open sockets to the IDE. You should only get this dialog if you don’t allow signed apps to accept connections by default and/or don’t allow it the first time you run LC. Once you allow it you shouldn’t see this again unless LC gets modified or something.

Cheers

Monte

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Just checked my Firewall settings and there’s no entry for LC, but I’m not seeing any trigger, I’ve used LC 9.0 (dp6) quite a few times since install and no problem so-far!

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4

Paul

On 4/11/17 1:35 AM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

> Yes the IDE is accepting connections for the remote debugger to work.
> Standalones then open sockets to the IDE. You should only get this
> dialog if you don’t allow signed apps to accept connections by
> default and/or don’t allow it the first time you run LC. Once you
> allow it you shouldn’t see this again unless LC gets modified or
> something.

I always answer "yes" to the dialog and I still get it every launch. The
firewall is set to accept connections to signed software. I see LC
9.0dp5 in the acceptance list but not dp6. If it matters, the Mac is
running Mavericks.

On 4/11/17 1:01 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> On 4/11/17 1:35 AM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Yes the IDE is accepting connections for the remote debugger to work.
>> Standalones then open sockets to the IDE. You should only get this
>> dialog if you don’t allow signed apps to accept connections by
>> default and/or don’t allow it the first time you run LC. Once you
>> allow it you shouldn’t see this again unless LC gets modified or
>> something.
>
> I always answer "yes" to the dialog and I still get it every launch. The
> firewall is set to accept connections to signed software. I see LC
> 9.0dp5 in the acceptance list but not dp6. If it matters, the Mac is
> running Mavericks.

I just added dp6 to the firewall manually. My guess is that the Mac
reads the name of the app and determines it's a "new" app but when the
firewall actually checks for it, it sees dp 6 as an update rather than a
different app and doesn't update its acceptance list. That's purely a
guess though. It still doesn't explain why the automatic acceptance of
signed apps doesn't allow the connection by default.

On 4/11/17 1:07 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> I just added dp6 to the firewall manually.

And it is still putting up the alert on launch. Seems I'm stuck with it.

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode

> On 12 Apr 2017, at 4:48 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> And it is still putting up the alert on launch. Seems I'm stuck with it.

Hmm… that’s odd. I’ll ask the team if anyone has any ideas why this is occurring. Just to make sure you aren’t saving anything within the LC app bundle are you?

Cheers

Monte

On 4/11/17 5:17 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

>> On 12 Apr 2017, at 4:48 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And it is still putting up the alert on launch. Seems I'm stuck
>> with it.
>
> Hmm… that’s odd. I’ll ask the team if anyone has any ideas why this
> is occurring. Just to make sure you aren’t saving anything within the
> LC app bundle are you?

Nope. I just checked the dates on most of the files to be sure and they
all say March 8, so nothing has changed there. I wonder if it's
Mavericks. The firewall doesn't seem to recognize LCdp6.

On 4/11/17 9:17 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> On 4/11/17 5:17 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> On 12 Apr 2017, at 4:48 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> And it is still putting up the alert on launch. Seems I'm stuck
>>> with it.
>>
>> Hmm… that’s odd. I’ll ask the team if anyone has any ideas why this
>> is occurring. Just to make sure you aren’t saving anything within the
>> LC app bundle are you?
>
> Nope. I just checked the dates on most of the files to be sure and they
> all say March 8, so nothing has changed there. I wonder if it's
> Mavericks. The firewall doesn't seem to recognize LCdp6.

I wrote "Mavericks" but that was a think-o. I'm running El Capitan, in
case it matters.

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'm also getting this with every launch, even though dp6 is in the firewall
settings.  It's much less annoying, now that LC isn't crashing constantly
with the new version of mergDeploy, so I don't quit and relaunch 9 very
often, now.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/11/17 9:17 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> On 4/11/17 5:17 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>>

>>> On 12 Apr 2017, at 4:48 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode

>>> Hmm… that’s odd. I’ll ask the team if anyone has any ideas why this
>>> is occurring. Just to make sure you aren’t saving anything within the
>>> LC app bundle are you?
>>>

>> Nope. I just checked the dates on most of the files to be sure and they
>> all say March 8, so nothing has changed there. I wonder if it's
>> Mavericks. The firewall doesn't seem to recognize LCdp6.
>>

> I wrote "Mavericks" but that was a think-o. I'm running El Capitan, in
> case it matters.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I did some googling and it turns out this is an OS X glitch that dates
back several years. It isn't app-specific. The first thing to try is to
remove the app from the firewall list and then put it back again when
you next launch. That hasn't worked for me. The nuclear option is to
delete the firewall list and let it build a new one, but I haven't tried
that yet.

On 4/24/17 9:17 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:

> I'm also getting this with every launch, even though dp6 is in the firewall
> settings.  It's much less annoying, now that LC isn't crashing constantly
> with the new version of mergDeploy, so I don't quit and relaunch 9 very
> often, now.
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Nope. I just checked the dates on most of the files to be sure and they
>>> all say March 8, so nothing has changed there. I wonder if it's
>>> Mavericks. The firewall doesn't seem to recognize LCdp6.
>>>

>> I wrote "Mavericks" but that was a think-o. I'm running El Capitan, in
>> case it matters.

Re: OS X Firewall triggering on launch

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I just removed it, then fired up dp6, and didn't get the dialog.  I then
went back into the firewall, and dp6 was in there, enabled.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did some googling and it turns out this is an OS X glitch that dates
> back several years. It isn't app-specific. The first thing to try is to
> remove the app from the firewall list and then put it back again when you
> next launch. That hasn't worked for me. The nuclear option is to delete the
> firewall list and let it build a new one, but I haven't tried that yet.
>

> On 4/24/17 9:17 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> I'm also getting this with every launch, even though dp6 is in the
>> firewall
>> settings.  It's much less annoying, now that LC isn't crashing constantly
>> with the new version of mergDeploy, so I don't quit and relaunch 9 very
>> often, now.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> case it matters.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."