[OT] 3d flip effect?

niconiko
Hello,

Anyone know how to or what software can create a 3D flip effect of an image?

For example, a coin showing heads flips to show tails, or a navigation
tile showing a left-arrow flips to show a right-arrow? And all with a
3D illusion!

Sorry.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Devin Asay
On May 17, 2010, at 10:43 PM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anyone know how to or what software can create a 3D flip effect of an image?
>
> For example, a coin showing heads flips to show tails, or a navigation
> tile showing a left-arrow flips to show a right-arrow? And all with a
> 3D illusion!

Nicolas,

Have you checked QuickTime effects? ('answer effects' in the message box will bring up a dialog where you can see them.) Failing that, if you are on Mac OS X there may be a Core Image effect that will do it.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

niconiko
> Have you checked QuickTime effects?

 I think Rev's QT effects are for card transitions only, but I'm
looking for an image effect.

Thanks all the same, Devin.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

René Micout
Have you look at "Quartz Composer" ?

Le 18 mai 2010 à 07:51, Nicolas Cueto a écrit :

>> Have you checked QuickTime effects?
>
> I think Rev's QT effects are for card transitions only, but I'm
> looking for an image effect.
>
> Thanks all the same, Devin.
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Robert Mann
I saw a stack recently in revOnline that shows a nice page effect example, I think it is built with core graphics. CHeck it out.

VisualEffects transitions by Bernd Niggemann

"some of the build in Quicktime and core image transitions of Rev for MacOs X
Needs a graphic card > 64 Mb and System 10.4 and above. For the core image transitions (I like curl which is a turning of a page, looks a bit like peeling the card off) some horespower is needed.

Actually this shows, how to "fake" a core image effect for a transition. The core image effects operate on images. I wanted to use it for the card to card transition. To the rescue comes Revs snapshot. On these snapshots of the cards work the core image effects when going from card to card.

I made this just to see if it could be done and since it came up on the forum I just uploaded it here.

Although I think the big times of transitions are gone...."

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

BNig
Robert Mann wrote
I saw a stack recently in revOnline that shows a nice page effect example, I think it is built with core graphics. CHeck it out.
The effects were taken from the "Core Image Sampler.rev" stack in the Resources->Examples folder that ships with Rev (Mac version). They were just adapted for page transition using  snapshots since core image effects work, well, on images.
regards
Bernd

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

niconiko
Thanks for the Mac advice, but I'm on Windows.

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Thomas McGrath III-3
Very nice use of export snapshot with the Core Image Transitions, Bernd.

Tom McGrath III
Lazy River Software
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
[hidden email]

I Can Speak - Communication for the rest of us...
http://mypad.lazyriver.on-rev.com

I Can Speak on the iPad Store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-can-speak/id364733279?mt=8

DeMoted - Have you DeMoted Someone today?
http://demoted.lazyriver.on-rev.com

DeMoted on the iTune App Store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/demoted/id355925236?mt=8

On May 18, 2010, at 6:18 AM, BNig wrote:

> Robert Mann wrote:
>>
>> I saw a stack recently in revOnline that shows a nice page effect example,
>> I think it is built with core graphics. CHeck it out.
>
> The effects were taken from the "Core Image Sampler.rev" stack in the
> Resources->Examples folder that ships with Rev (Mac version). They were just
> adapted for page transition using  snapshots since core image effects work,
> well, on images.
> regards
> Bernd

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

BNig
Thomas McGrath III-3 wrote
Very nice use of export snapshot with the Core Image Transitions, Bernd.
Thank you Tom
regards
Bernd

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Robert Mann
Just for info.. I was impressed by the rendering, quality of turn page, but it takes its time in my macBook. Is it super fast elsewhere? I imagine the time to export the snap to hard disk then read back in, and then apply the effect. Could there be a way to save directly to a variable? Or to read and write nearly at same time with a dispatch message write, immediately followed by a dispatch message read??

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

BNig
Robert,
it is not super fast, the snapshots are saved  to a variable, no disk access.
-------
 export snapshot from this card to tTarget as png
 set the text of image "TargetImage" to tTarget
-------

Part of it is that you take 2 snapshots, one from the present card and one of the card to go to. That takes time, plus a little time for the core image effects to kick in.

Smaller objects are faster.

regards
Bernd

Robert Mann wrote
Just for info.. I was impressed by the rendering, quality of turn page, but it takes its time in my macBook. Is it super fast elsewhere? I imagine the time to export the snap to hard disk then read back in, and then apply the effect. Could there be a way to save directly to a variable? Or to read and write nearly at same time with a dispatch message write, immediately followed by a dispatch message read??

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Robert Mann
A cached version??

thanks for the info! Yeah I guess to optimize things on a stack one could "cache" the images of static cards. Thus running a script to that effect, and modifying the effect script to look for a cached version first hand, and only take a snapshot if none is found.

I do not think that effects are a gone by things, quite the contrary.. all the sleek page transitions we see on iphone set the path, and it is an important aspect to the user experience. SO yes I think it is importatn to set up an efficient way to do it!

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

BNig
Robert,
I did a quick test on a cached version. Caching does indeed speed things up considerably. On a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz the uncached version took about 700 milliseconds to get the two snapshots of the cards (731 by 744 pixel), having cached the images in a custom property took about 100 milliseconds. 100 milliseconds is barely noticeable and might work.
Although this would only work on static cards as you say and it bloats the stack.

regards
Bernd

Robert Mann wrote
A cached version??

thanks for the info! Yeah I guess to optimize things on a stack one could "cache" the images of static cards. Thus running a script to that effect, and modifying the effect script to look for a cached version first hand, and only take a snapshot if none is found.

I do not think that effects are a gone by things, quite the contrary.. all the sleek page transitions we see on iphone set the path, and it is an important aspect to the user experience. SO yes I think it is importatn to set up an efficient way to do it!

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

Robert Mann
on my macBook.. oldy.. 1,83 core duo with lots of ram, it takes 2 seconds on the whole. As I splitted it up.. nearly one sec to prepare and the other to actualy curl.. so chacing in just reduces by half still one long second!! too much still.. sniff!! Well.. we'll do without the curl then!! smile.

alos same size of stack 700 someting by 700 something

Here is the code I used (I changed a few things but it is nearly the original one..)

on mouseUp
   if (noCore()) then exit mouseUp
   put the milliseconds into tStart
   prepareCurl
   put the milliseconds into tEnd
   put tEnd-tStart into tdiff1
   -- answer "doCUrl? "&tdiff1 with "go"
   put the milliseconds into tStart
   -- if it is "go" then doCurl
   doCurl
   put the milliseconds into tEnd
   put tEnd-tStart into tdiff2
   answer "doCUrl took " & tdiff1 &" + "& tdiff2 &" ="& (tdiff1+tdiff2) with "go"
end mouseUp

on prepareCurl
   lock screen
   -- go next card
   export snapshot from the next card to tTarget as png
   set the text of image "TargetImage" to tTarget
   set the loc of image "TargetImage" to the loc of this card
   hide image "TargetImage"
   export snapshot from this card to tSource as png
   set the text of image "SourceImage" to tSource
   set the loc of image "SourceImage" to the loc of this card
   show image "SourceImage"
   unlock screen
end prepareCurl

on doCurl
   show image "TargetImage" with visual effect "CIPageCurlTransition" fast with angle -280 and backsideImage ID (the short ID of image "sourceImage") and extent (the rect of this card) and radius 120.00 and shadingImage ID (the short ID of image "shadingImage")

   lock screen
   go to next card
   hide image "TargetImage"
   hide image "sourceImage"
   put empty into image "targetImage"
   put empty into image "SourceImage"
   unlock screen
end doCurl

Re: [OT] 3d flip effect?

BNig
Robert,
you changed the curl to fast. On my MacBook Pro 2.33 that gives about 800 milliseconds. BUT: it is what transitions are for, I did not even test the timing for curl because the user sees a transition without much latency, that is more important than the time.
I agree with you that waiting 1000 milliseconds for something to happen is very long. But that is the snapshot part. If you cut that down with caching in a custom property and you come down to 150 milliseconds or so I think that is ok.

if you want to try it:

---------------- watch out for linebreaks
on mouseUp
   if (noCore()) then exit mouseUp
   lock screen
   go next card
   set the text of image "TargetImage" to the uImage of this card
   set the loc of image "TargetImage" to the loc of this card
   hide image "TargetImage"
   set the text of image "SourceImage" to the uImage of prev card
   set the loc of image "SourceImage" to the loc of this card
   show image "SourceImage"
   unlock screen

   show image "TargetImage" with visual effect "CIPageCurlTransition"   very slow with angle -280 and backsideImage\
   ID (the short ID of image "sourceImage") and extent (the rect of this card)\
   and radius 120.00 and shadingImage ID (the short ID of image "shadingImage")

   lock screen
   put empty into image "targetImage"
   hide image "TargetImage"
   put empty into image "SourceImage"
   hide image "sourceImage"
end mouseUp
-------------------------------

to create the custom properties with the snapshot of the cards:
in the script of the stack:
--------------------
on MakeImages
   repeat with i = 1 to the number of cards
      export snapshot from  card i to tTarget as png
      set the uImage of  card i to tTarget
   end repeat
end MakeImages
call MakeImages once from the message box and you have your card images in the custom properties.

regards
Bernd