OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

David Bovill-5
Just for fun :)

   - Adobe starts Anti Apple Ad
campaign<http://www.switched.com/2010/05/13/adobe-launches-all-out-war-on-apple/>
   - Adobe's reply to Mr Jobs <http://www.adobe.com/choice/flash.html>
   - Adobe on "openness" <http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html>
   - And Microsoft don't like Flash
either?<http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100430/microsoft-on-flash-what-steve-said/>

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Richard Gaskin
David Bovill wrote:
>    - And Microsoft don't like Flash
> either?<http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100430/microsoft-on-flash-what-steve-said/>

Portions of that statement have been used by many Apple advocates as
"confirming" that Microsoft feels the same about Flash as Steve Jobs does.

But the headline of that article, "Microsoft on Flash: What Steve Said",
doesn't tell the whole story.

It seems Microsoft is playing it down the middle, a useful strategic
position for them, as evidenced by the portion of their statement that
doesn't get as much airplay in Mac advocacy venues:

    Despite these issues, Flash remains an important part of
    delivering a good consumer experience on today‚Äôs Web.

  Fourth World

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 14/05/2010 17:02, David Bovill wrote:
> Just for fun :)
>
>     - Adobe starts Anti Apple Ad
> campaign<http://www.switched.com/2010/05/13/adobe-launches-all-out-war-on-apple/>
>     - Adobe's reply to Mr Jobs<http://www.adobe.com/choice/flash.html>
>     - Adobe on "openness"<http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html>
>     - And Microsoft don't like Flash
> either?<http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100430/microsoft-on-flash-what-steve-said/>

I just had time to have a quick read of Number 1:

I mean, talk about the pot calling the kettle black:

If it weren't for the fact that Apple and Adobe are socking great companies
wielding I-don'y-know-how-much financial clout it would look like 2 boys
in a playground fighting over which one of them is a liar; i.e. all rather
childish.

Neither company have got a leg to stand on when they start talking
about:

     "open markets and an open Web"

for 'open' read 'controlled by Adobe's stuff' or 'controlled by Apple's
stuff';

I say "stuff them both" and "go west young man" to the land of Linux and
Open Source; while it may not be to everybody's taste, at least the word
'open' is not being resemanticised quicker than you can guess the colour
of Steve Jobs' underpants . . .  :)

Hey; I tell you one thing; I reckon I've got an even chance on they're not
being 'Adobe Red'. And I would suppose
the boss of Adobe goes without as all is "Air".

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Alejandro Tejada
Actually, i hope that this feud between Apple and Adobe
could bring more attention from Adobe to Linux and
Mobile Platforms.

If this is the final result of all this discussion,
then everybody should said "Thanks Steve!"

:D

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Actually, i hope that this feud between Apple and Adobe
> could bring more attention from Adobe to Linux and
> Mobile Platforms.

I found this take on things interesting:

   Ubuntu wants Adobe, even if Apple doesn't

   I recently suggested that, given Apple and Adobe's growing war
   over iPad and iPhone applications, it would make sense for Adobe
   to move not only its end-user applications, but its Creative
   Suite development stack, to Linux. While I don't know if Adobe
   is considering it, Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux,
   would welcome Adobe.

   Canonical marketing manager Gerry Carr told me that "in a recent
   survey we did of the Ubuntu User base where we got 32,000 plus
   got a 3.52 rating out of 5 being the second most popular potential
   app after Skype."

<http://blogs.computerworld.com/15991/ubuntu_would_welcome_adobe_to_linux>

  Fourth World

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Mark Swindell

After Apple reduces Flash to a reasonably weak state, perhaps they'll have a change of heart toward "the rest of us" and lighten up some.  Just a (probably naive) thought.
-Mark

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/16/mefeedia_html5_survey/

Non-Flash video surges onto the web
Maniacal chuckling at One Infinite Loop
Steve Jobs is one-quarter of the way to victory in his increasingly heated take-no-prisoners assault on Adobe Flash.

According to a survey conducted by video aggregator MeFeedia, 26 per cent of all web video is now available for playback with the HTML5 <video> tag and the H.264 codec. That means that 26 per cent of web video is now viewable on the iPhone/Pod/Pad. And, of course, Steve Jobs asserts that it's the most important 26 per cent.

> Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>
>> Actually, i hope that this feud between Apple and Adobe
>> could bring more attention from Adobe to Linux and
>> Mobile Platforms.

RE: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Lynn Fredricks-2
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/16/mefeedia_html5_survey/
>
> Non-Flash video surges onto the web
> Maniacal chuckling at One Infinite Loop
> Steve Jobs is one-quarter of the way to victory in his
> increasingly heated take-no-prisoners assault on Adobe Flash.
>
> According to a survey conducted by video aggregator MeFeedia,
> 26 per cent of all web video is now available for playback
> with the HTML5 <video> tag and the H.264 codec. That means
> that 26 per cent of web video is now viewable on the
> iPhone/Pod/Pad. And, of course, Steve Jobs asserts that it's
> the most important 26 per cent.

I think its going to be very, very easy to find news and research sources to
support whichever company. There's so much money now in the reporting of the
news as well as production of research papers around this story its surely
worth ignoring - except that so many people will just swallow whatever they
read.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing
http://www.mirye.com

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Kay C Lan
Alajandro,

I'm with you.

My perception is that Steve is now feverishly flogging the Apple employees
to even higher standards to ensure that 'he is right'. Whilst over at Adobe
they a extremely busy scheming how to get Flash in to all those disgruntle
ex-iPad/Phone developers hands and onto every 'other' mobile device.

To me, this is competition and competition is good, very good.

Unfortunately I do have another opinion though, which isn't so rosey. This
List is by far the most friendly and altruistic bunch of online folks I've
ever had the pleasure of stumbling across, yet even for such a fine bunch I
sensed (hopefully wrongly) some really really REALLY negative vibes over
this topic. Now again, I'm probably wrong, but if anyone on this List should
have expressed anger and frustration, it should have been Kevin, as I figure
he's the one whose lost the most - and added to early events one could
easily sum up that this is a horror year for Kevin. Yet to his credit he
posted to the List to keep everyone up to date on what had occurred and his
road map forward. No anger, no vitriol, no finger pointing, just business.

So, if the friendly people on this List can get all wobbly about what has
happened I can only assume that the unfriendly people who don't frequent
this List must be even more riled, probably completely lost the plot and are
now feverishly plotting revenge. Steve may not realise it, but he might have
just woken the sleeping giant - the hoards of twisted individuals who gain
pleasure from writing malicious code.

The worms are probably headed for Apple right now;-(

  On 17/05/2010 10:13, Kay C Lan wrote:
> <snip>
> To me, this is competition and competition is good, very good.

Yes, it probably is nothing more than the grinding together of
competitive forces; but,

Unfortunately:

1.  A lot of small companies and their dedicated clients seem to be
      getting ground up in the process.

2.  Competition CAN be conducted in a gentlemanly fashion; but
      neither Apple nor Adobe seem to think that matters - maybe it
      doesn't from a commercial point of view; they both have enormous
     installed bases on which they can depend. However, it makes the
     world a whole lot more pleasant if competition can take place
     without infantile adverts and name-calling.

Competition is, undoubtedly, a good thing; and as the computer world
is dominated by Microsoft, Adobe and Apple one could argue that not
nearly enough is taking place.

Competition (rather like war [not something I would advocate])
development and innovation.

One of my sadnesses is that, at present, there seems to be no
company in direct competition with RunRev . . .  :)

Kay C Lan wrote:
> Steve may not realise it, but he might have just woken the sleeping
> giant - the hoards of twisted individuals who gain pleasure from
> writing malicious code.

The iPhone has already been the target of at least two, maybe three
exploits.

All computing devices are subject to such exposures.

In fact, you don't even need a smart phone to terrorize people through
phone hacks - older phones work just fine:

Cell Phone Stalkers Harass Washington Family
<http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3312813&page=1>

All phones are inherently less secure than most computers, since with a
computer you can disconnect it from the network.

The only way to get equivalent security with a phone is to turn it off.

  Fourth World

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Colin Holgate-2

On May 16, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Mark Swindell wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/16/mefeedia_html5_survey/

People are still getting confused about what Flash is used for, and think that if more sites have an html5 video player option, that the overall use of Flash has gone down. That would be like saying that all Rev stacks are just address books, and any use of another address book would mean that general use of Rev had gone down.

Re: OT: Adobe's New Anti Apple Ads

Brian Yennie
Exactly. As someone who has spent the last couple of years writing virtual worlds in Flash, I can say unequivocally that HTML 5 is nowhere near being able to duplicate that functionality. Not only is the feature set much smaller and browser support limited, but there are no tools behind it. And on top of that, client-readable source code (JavaScript) is an issue.

Certainly HTML 5 could replace Flash someday, but the general consensus in the gaming / virtual world arena is that it's a solid 3-5 years away and there will still be a lot of legacy stuff floating around along with a lack of libraries and tools to build with. And that's assuming some other factor doesn't pop up in that time.

With that said, if HTML 5 adoption goes anywhere I bet Adobe starts offering export from Flash. They are, ironically, the ones positioned to be the toolset for HTML 5 / Canvas applications...