[OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Read the interview:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40435064/what-alan-kay-thinks-about-the-iphone-and-technology-now

I think that he could be... much more angry if he learns about all memes
that compare Mobile Phones users with zombies...

Al

Re: [OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Thank you, Alejandro,

All my upper-intermediate pupils will be going through this article in
class this week.

Richmond.

On 9/17/17 6:37 am, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:

> Read the interview:
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/40435064/what-alan-kay-thinks-about-the-iphone-and-technology-now
>
> I think that he could be... much more angry if he learns about all memes
> that compare Mobile Phones users with zombies...
>
> Al

Re: [OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
A very thought-provoking read especially about culture and how we are taught in our schools. It makes me wonder if some of the folks who aren't concerned about "truth" in American politics (including it's relationship to science) these days are a result of an educational system that too often relies on the learning of content without considering the actual application of that content in our culture. Of course, many educators are attempting to address that issue these days with various forms of student inquiry pedagogy.

Cheers,
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 17, 2017, at 12:08 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, Alejandro,
>
> All my upper-intermediate pupils will be going through this article in class this week.
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 9/17/17 6:37 am, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
>> Read the interview:
>>
>> https://www.fastcompany.com/40435064/what-alan-kay-thinks-about-the-iphone-and-technology-now
>>
>> I think that he could be... much more angry if he learns about all memes
>> that compare Mobile Phones users with zombies...
>>
>> Al

Re: [OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Whole political system of the USA is sick.

Sent from Solidit

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM +0200, "prothero--- via use-livecode" <[hidden email]> wrote:

A very thought-provoking read especially about culture and how we are taught in our schools. It makes me wonder if some of the folks who aren't concerned about "truth" in American politics (including it's relationship to science) these days are a result of an educational system that too often relies on the learning of content without considering the actual application of that content in our culture. Of course, many educators are attempting to address that issue these days with various forms of student inquiry pedagogy.

Cheers,
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 17, 2017, at 12:08 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode  wrote:
>
> Thank you, Alejandro,
>
> All my upper-intermediate pupils will be going through this article in class this week.
>
> Richmond.
>
>> On 9/17/17 6:37 am, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
>> Read the interview:
>>
>> https://www.fastcompany.com/40435064/what-alan-kay-thinks-about-the-iphone-and-technology-now
>>
>> I think that he could be... much more angry if he learns about all memes
>> that compare Mobile Phones users with zombies...
>>
>> Al

Re: [OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
The system is sound. The politicians who only subscibe to the rule of law when it suits their cause, and not otherwise are the problem. And also people who keep voting for the politicians who demonstrate such a degree of irresponsibility are to blame. The actual system works wonderfully, so long as everyone subscribes to it, and those who promise to and don't are held accountable.

Bob S

> On Sep 17, 2017, at 09:49 , Erik Beugelaar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Whole political system of the USA is sick.

Re: [OT] Alan Kay is angry

Tom Glod via use-livecode
I agree for the most part.  At this point, my hope is that people will
clean the slate and kick everyone currently in office to the curb.  Won't
happen of course.

Honestly though, I don't see how ANY politician, no matter how well
intention-ed can get through the process of attaining office intact.  The
pressures, sheer volume of money and influence being peddled...  Its a
rather large mess.

"The system is sound. The politicians who only subscibe to the rule of law
when it suits their cause, and not otherwise are the problem. And also
people who keep voting for the politicians who demonstrate such a degree of
irresponsibility are to blame. The actual system works wonderfully, so long
as everyone subscribes to it, and those who promise to and don't are held
accountable."