[OT] Alternative to Inkscape

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Ryan,

I use Xara since many, many years ago. Their technical support is excellent
and rarely (if ever) I had a problem with their application
except a rare bug that I found, reported and they fixed.

Recently, I am testing their online design application:
https://cloud.ixara.com/

Everyone could test this online design application using their Google,
Facebook or Microsoft Live accounts.

Al

Rick Harrison wrote:

> Did you try GIMP?
> https://www.gimp.org
> Will it do what you want it to do with SVG files?

Re: [OT] Alternative to Inkscape

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Richard,

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> The difference with open source is that if it's really holding you back
> you can rally the resources to get it done yourself right now, something
> that would be impossible with any proprietary code base.

In my humble opinion, after 12 years it has to be easier
to convince WC3 to change the SVG standard and adopt
Inkscape bottomleft page origin... :D

Al

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I use Xara since many, many years ago. Their technical support is
excellent and rarely (if ever) I had a problem with their application
> except a rare bug that I found, reported and they fixed.
>
> Recently, I am testing their online design application:
> https://cloud.ixara.com/
>
> Everyone could test this online design application using their Google,
Facebook or Microsoft Live accounts.

> Al
>
> Rick Harrison wrote:
>
> > Did you try GIMP?
> > https://www.gimp.org
> > Will it do what you want it to do with SVG files?

Re: [OT] Alternative to Inkscape

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
​:

I use Xara since many, many years ago. Their technical support is excellent
> and rarely (if ever) I had a problem with their application
> except a rare bug that I found, reported and they fixed.

​Since a couple of years, I have a graphic designer who works with Xara
(Win10) and
I adapt his works with Affinity Designer (MacOS)​. We can exchange our SVG
jobs
quite easily, and for me, not being a graphic designer at all, I find this
process easy enough.

Regards,

Thierry

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

 > In my humble opinion, after 12 years it has to be easier
 > to convince WC3 to change the SVG standard and adopt
 > Inkscape bottomleft page origin... :D

If there needs to be a bad guy here maybe the better finger-wagging
would be toward John Warnock, for approving a Postscript spec that uses
a coordinate system unlike anything else in the computing world,
bifurcating the software landscape into bottom-zero and top-zero camps.

And ever since the Postscript licensing debacle which eventually
prompted everyone else to join together to replace Postscript fonts with
TrueType (not to mention the dismally wonky PDF format), who doesn't
enjoy picking on Warnock? ;)

Re: [OT] Alternative to Inkscape

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I suppose, but consider that we learned graphs all through school with a bottom up left to right coordinate system, so that seems to me more natural. Also with top down systems, you have to think that left to right numbers go up, but top down numbers go up. So down is up. Kinda like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Bob S

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 >> On Oct 5, 2017, at 07:58 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Alejandro Tejada wrote:
 >> > In my humble opinion, after 12 years it has to be easier
 >> > to convince WC3 to change the SVG standard and adopt
 >> > Inkscape bottomleft page origin... :D
 >>
 >> If there needs to be a bad guy here maybe the better finger-wagging
 >> would be toward John Warnock, for approving a Postscript spec that
 >> uses a coordinate system unlike anything else in the computing world,
 >> bifurcating the software landscape into bottom-zero and top-zero
 >> camps.
 >
 > I suppose, but consider that we learned graphs all through school with
 > a bottom up left to right coordinate system, so that seems to me more
 > natural.

Maybe the bad guy is Euclid.

But even then one could argue that his thinking about coordinate systems
was influenced by the natural world, where the earth has a surface and
we measure things we make from that starting point upwards, rather than
from an arbitrary point in the sky downwards.

In that view, maybe the bad guy is everyone who made a top-zero
coordinate system, and Inkscape is among the few who've been doing
things right the whole time. :)

Re: [OT] Alternative to Inkscape

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
At this point I can be really bitchy and ask why LiveCode is so daft as
to have top-down numbers on the stack:
sure slowed things down for my kids working with LiveCode in the Summer.

Richmond.