[OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

[OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Kay C Lan
Well finally got around to downloading Atom and giving it quick check out.
Here are my quick observations compared to my favourite Text Editor and the
Script Editor.

Basically if you've never used a fully fledged Text Editor to write LC
scripts I recommend you give Atom a try. You can get it here;

https://atom.io/

Things I like: (OS X 10.9.5 - it is available on Win and Linux)

1) Once downloaded, when you start it up you are immediately presented with
the Welcome Guide (which you can return to any time later simply by
selecting 'Welcome Guide' at the bottom of the Help menu) Where you
initially want to 'Install a Package'. Enter 'Livecode' into the search box
and when you see 'language-livecode' pop up, click install - much easier
than my favourite TE. Back at the Welcome Guide 'Choose a Theme' and in the
search box type 'revignite' and install 'revigniter-syntax'. Again very
easy.

Open a new document and copy and past in a large script from LC. As syntax
colouring is based on file suffix and your new file has no suffix you'll
need to manual select the LiveCode Builder language at bottom right corner
where it probably says 'Plain text'. Everything should be nicely coloured.

2) The colour syntax option in Atom is different to my TE, some things I
like, others I don't, it's 50/50. One of the things I do like is in Atom
variables are coloured, something that doesn't happen in my TE.

3) Code folding. In my TE I can only fold whole handlers. In Atom it is
more granular, you can fold on if, repeat and switch statements. Excellent!!

4) Autocomplete. Just like my TE when I start to type out a variable it
offers up autocompletions so there is little chance of incorrectly spelling
them - I don't have to use Strict Compilation mode.

5) Dictionary. Actually I don't think this has been implemented as a
dictionary but Atom seems to know all the LC keywords, so backbroundColor
is spelt 'or' not 'our'. Can't spell keywords incorrectly. This was already
done for me with Atom, for my TE I had to manually add a bunch of stuff.

6) Boilerplates. If you type 'if' or 'repeat' you are offered up an
autocomplete. For some reason 'switch' is not included but then again in my
TE I had to manually add the if and repeat boilerplates, Atom comes with
these pre-installed. So all I have to do is add a couple of switch
'snippets' - the term Atom uses for boilerplates.

7) Bracket Pairing. In my TE it highlights when a bracket is unpaired to
remind you you need to type the closing pair. In Atom if you type an open
bracket it automatically types the closing bracket. I imagine in 99.99% of
occasions this will be a time saver and ensure you never leave off a
balanced bracket. Not only that the same applies for single and double
quote. A very nice touch. I'll have to see if I can add that to my TE.

8) Difference comparison is available, obviously, but I haven't played with
it so can't compare.

9) Not sure on Mac if it plays nicely with Versions.

What I don't like:

1) It's 10 times the size of my TE, which partly explains why it is slower
than my TE. The real reason, my TE is written in C++ whilst Atom is written
in HTML, CSS and Javascript. So it is more comparable with LiveCode and in
this regard it is much faster than the Script Editor. I can live with that.

2) Whenever I bring Atom to the front the process Atom Helper takes up 102%
of one of my CPUs and the cooling fan goes into overdrive. OK it probably
realises I need a LOT of help ;-) I won't be using Atom unless I can plug
my laptop in.

3) I can't get rid of the navigation pane down the left side of the window.
If it contained handlers I'd sort of be OK with that, but it is just a File
tree which is a complete waste of space, if I put the mouse over the
document title it tells me exactly where it is located on my HD, I don't
need and entire pane with half a dozen lines at the top used and the rest
empty. My TE allows me to have wall to wall text, just a bit at the top and
bottom is taken up with tools, navigation niceties and important
information. In this regard Atom is worse than the SE because at least with
the SE the left pane is filled with useful info - handler list.

Something must be wrong:

Which brings me to the only real show stopper for me, which I assume I
haven't set something up correctly, but I can't navigate the document based
on handlers. In my TE, just like the SE, there is a button that lists all
the handlers within the script so I just click on one and I'm immediately
taken to it. I can't see that anywhere in Atom, currently I have to scroll
to get any where or open a Search and type in the handler I'm after. At
least the SE, which also has a space hogging left pane fills it with useful
data. I must be missing something.

If someone can point out how to set up Atom to hot link all the handlers
I'll continue to give it ago, otherwise it will only be used for relatively
small script; which is a pity because it does have some very nice features.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Richard Gaskin
Kay C Lan wrote:
> Well finally got around to downloading Atom and giving it quick check out.
> Here are my quick observations compared to my favourite Text Editor and the
> Script Editor.

Good stuff, Kay.  Thanks for posting that.

What is your favorite Text Editor?

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Kay C Lan
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

What is your favorite Text Editor?

BareBones' BBEdit, but it's FREE little brother TextWrangler would filfill
all LC Script Editoring tasks. OS X only I'm afraid.

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.html

I always thought that BareBones was a bit of a tongue in cheek
understatement for such a full featured Text Editor but when I compare the
22MB BBedit to Atom's 208MB maybe the BareBones is justified :-)

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Paul_Hibbert

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 20:44, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 3) I can't get rid of the navigation pane down the left side of the window.

Try cmd+\ it’s under the view menu right at the bottom.

Paul

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Paul Hibbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 3) I can't get rid of the navigation pane down the left side of the
> window.
>
> Try cmd+\ it’s under the view menu right at the bottom.

Thanks Paul, that did it. Sweet! I had tried View menu - Panes - Close pane
but no success.

Toggle Tree view, that  makes sense. But it's why I posted here, I knew
someone would steer me straight.

Now I'm just after a way navigate via handler name.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

BNig
Hi Kay,

thanks for your thorough description

just wanted to add that from what I understand the Livecode builder and revigniter functionality was added by Peter Brett

https://github.com/peter-b/atom-language-livecode

He is welcomes community based input to the project

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=25166&p=130953#p130953

Andy Piddock has posted a stub livecode builder script snippet to this list and the forum. It basically sets up the standard header for a script, very handy.

Peter plans to merge it into the project.

I also would like to see a handler tree.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Ralf Bitter-2

> On 01.09.2015, at 05:44, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 6) Boilerplates. If you type 'if' or 'repeat' you are offered up an
> autocomplete. For some reason 'switch' is not included but then again in my
> TE I had to manually add the if and repeat boilerplates, Atom comes with
> these pre-installed. So all I have to do is add a couple of switch
> 'snippets' - the term Atom uses for boilerplates.

Hi Kay,

actually there is a snippet for "switch", so
typing "s", "sw", "swi" etc. followed by a tab
should work, really. Then a placeholder for the
switch expression is selected. Subsequent
tabs select the first case value, the related
line of code and the placeholder for the
"default" code .

Ralf

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Kay C Lan
Bernd, yes Peter B and Andy P do deserve the credit for some excellent work.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> actually there is a snippet for "switch", so
> typing "s", "sw", "swi" etc. followed by a tab
> should work, really.

Sorry Ralf, not seeing it. I thought maybe it was a bit slow, but 'if' and
'repeat' come up quite quickly. I know how they work and I get nothing.
Maybe you manually entered yours and have forgotten about it. If you go to
your snippet pane and 'switch' is there then it means you've manually
entered it - if and repeat are not there because they must be part of the
language package.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Roger Eller
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bernd, yes Peter B and Andy P do deserve the credit for some excellent
> work.
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > actually there is a snippet for "switch", so
> > typing "s", "sw", "swi" etc. followed by a tab
> > should work, really.
> >

> Sorry Ralf, not seeing it. I thought maybe it was a bit slow, but 'if' and
> 'repeat' come up quite quickly. I know how they work and I get nothing.
> Maybe you manually entered yours and have forgotten about it. If you go to
> your snippet pane and 'switch' is there then it means you've manually
> entered it - if and repeat are not there because they must be part of the
> language package.

I just typed swi (tab) and it gave me:
    switch switchExpression
      case caseValue
        # code...
      break
      default
      # code...
    end switch

Colorization is not working though.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Ralf Bitter-2

You are right, I use custom packages, mainly to keep
revIgniter stuff separat from LiveCode server syntax.
But I disabled my packages, enabled the one provided
by Peter Brett, restarted Atom and the snippet was there.

So, assuming you use the latest version (0.5.1) I am at a loss.

Ralf

> On 01.09.2015, at 15:18, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> actually there is a snippet for "switch", so
>> typing "s", "sw", "swi" etc. followed by a tab
>> should work, really.
>>

> Sorry Ralf, not seeing it. I thought maybe it was a bit slow, but 'if' and
> 'repeat' come up quite quickly. I know how they work and I get nothing.
> Maybe you manually entered yours and have forgotten about it. If you go to
> your snippet pane and 'switch' is there then it means you've manually
> entered it - if and repeat are not there because they must be part of the
> language package.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Ralf Bitter-2

> On 01.09.2015, at 15:44, Roger Eller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just typed swi (tab) and it gave me:
>    switch switchExpression
>      case caseValue
>        # code...
>      break
>      default
>      # code...
>    end switch
>
> Colorization is not working though.

Did you install and enable the revIgniter theme?

Ralf

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 01.09.2015, at 15:44, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Colorization is not working though.
>

> Did you install and enable the revIgniter theme?
>
> Ralf

No.  Where do I get it?

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Roger Eller
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > On 01.09.2015, at 15:44, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Colorization is not working though.
>>

>> Did you install and enable the revIgniter theme?
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> No.  Where do I get it?

I have downloaded the zip of v0.1.2, but it's not obvious to me how to
install a theme.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Ralf Bitter-2

> On 01.09.2015, at 16:08, Roger Eller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Did you install and enable the revIgniter theme?
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>>

>> No.  Where do I get it?
>>

> I have downloaded the zip of v0.1.2, but it's not obvious to me how to
> install a theme.

Hi Roger

no separate download needed. You can install themes (and packages)
within Atom in the "Install" section of the preferences.

Ralf

Kay C Lan wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> What is your favorite Text Editor?
>
> BareBones' BBEdit, but it's FREE little brother TextWrangler would filfill
> all LC Script Editoring tasks. OS X only I'm afraid.
>
> http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.html
>
> I always thought that BareBones was a bit of a tongue in cheek
> understatement for such a full featured Text Editor but when I compare the
> 22MB BBedit to Atom's 208MB maybe the BareBones is justified :-)

Ah, yes, I know it well.  Back when I was working exclusively on OS X it
was my favorite editor too.  Very nice editor, almost too good, since it
was feature-complete enough that I never felt the need to consider
upgrading to BBEdit.

When I was splitting my time somewhat equally between OS X and Ubuntu I
started out trying editors available for all three platforms (I need to
work in Windows now and then too), but at the time there were few, and
while Bluefish may have been one of the best of those available for all
three it wasn't up to what I was used to.

Now that the majority of my time is spent in Ubuntu I've been enjoying
Geany, but my longing for a multi-platform text editor has me
considering dusting off the various editors I've built in LC over the
years and getting around to finishing one of them.

I'll keep that as a back-burner option for now, though, until we hear
back from the team on their plans for the optimizations needed in the LC
SE.  I trust they'll want to deliver a great experience for new users
long before they'll be in a position to be able to afford to rewrite the
entire field object as a Widget, and that'll help us a lot too.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> No.  Where do I get it?
> >>

> > I have downloaded the zip of v0.1.2, but it's not obvious to me how to
> > install a theme.
>

> Hi Roger
>
> no separate download needed. You can install themes (and packages)
> within Atom in the "Install" section of the preferences.
>

> Ralf

 Well that was easy!  But it still isn't colorizing.

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Ralf Bitter-2

>>> I have downloaded the zip of v0.1.2, but it's not obvious to me how to
>>> install a theme.
>>

>> Hi Roger
>>
>> no separate download needed. You can install themes (and packages)
>> within Atom in the "Install" section of the preferences.
>>

>> Ralf
>>

> Well that was easy!  But it still isn't colorizing.

Assuming you did choose the revIgniter theme from
the "Syntax Theme" dropdown in the "Themes" section
of the preferences I have no clue what's going on.

Ralf

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Ralf Bitter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Assuming you did choose the revIgniter theme from
> the "Syntax Theme" dropdown in the "Themes" section
> of the preferences I have no clue what's going on.
>
> Ralf

It wasn't working for a mouseUp handler, but when I deleted that and
wrapped the script in
<?lc
   it colorized.
?>

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Kay C Lan
Gentlemen,

sorry for the slow reply but my employer had the audacity to expect me to
work for my pay ;-) Unfortunately that typically involves long periods of
no or restricted internet.

Anyway, thank you for your time to look into this.

My set up is:

Atom: 1.0.9
Language-Livecode: 0.5.1
revigniter-syntax: 0.1.2

Ralf,

you say you restarted Atom and the snippet was there: Where? There are two
locations for snippets in Atom as far as I'm aware:

1) Atom menu -> Open Your Snippets
    This is empty for me because I haven't added any snippets... yet.

2) Packages menu -> Snippets -> Available
    Of the ones listed I have:

    legal
    lorem
    module
    library
    widget
    if
    ife
    repeat
    handler

The inclusion of the 'handler' snippet suggests it's very much LiveCode
orientated and I'm assuming part of the Language-Livecode/revigniter-syntax
combination. But again, no 'switch' to be found.

Roger,

just to clarify, colour coding is based on document extension, so if you
have a .txt file and just past in some LC handlers it will not be syntax
coloured unless you manually select the language from the selection at the
bottom right of the window, or you change the suffix to .lcb, or
apparently, if you enclose your text inside <?lc  ?>. If the file is
suffixed .lcb it will open and automatically be colourised.

Next on my list of Atom oddities. At the bottom right of the window, to the
right of where you can select the language is a green box with a + in it,
next to that it says +12643. I know the 12643 is the number of lines of
code. In my TE it tells me lines, words and char count. The green + box
implies that I can click on it and get other info like words and chars, but
nothing happens. What does the green + box do and how do I get document
word and char count?

Re: [OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Roger Eller
The file extension I am using is .lc  so I tried .irev and neither would
colorize.  That's why I tried wrapping the code in <?lc  ?>, which is fine
with me.  I was previously using Notepad to edit .lc files.