OT: Can’t download file

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Sorry this is OT, but I don’t know where to turn for advice.

I have a web site and from time to time I put up files as well as pages. I use Transmit, a Mac FTP client. Uploads work fine, but I now find that when I want to access such a file via a browser using http, I get “you don’t have permission...”. I’ve set the permissions via Transmit to “everyone can read”. I think the numeric equivalent is 644, although I am not at all sure what this means.

I’ve tried various browsers on different devices.

What have I done wrong?

TIA

Graham

Sent from my iPad

Re: OT: Can’t download file

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
What about the permissions on the parent directory? Those could limit
access too.
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM G E Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry this is OT, but I don’t know where to turn for advice.
>
> I have a web site and from time to time I put up files as well as pages. I
> use Transmit, a Mac FTP client. Uploads work fine, but I now find that when
> I want to access such a file via a browser using http, I get “you don’t
> have permission...”. I’ve set the permissions via Transmit to “everyone can
> read”. I think the numeric equivalent is 644, although I am not at all sure
> what this means.
>
> I’ve tried various browsers on different devices.
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: OT: Can’t download file

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
By Everyone, I think it means All Registered Users. You would need to enable Anonymous Login for it to be anyone at all, or you can log into the FTP server using the format:

ftp://user:password@<ftpservername>

Obviously, replace user with the FTP user, password with the password, and ftpservername with the FQDN of your ftp server. Some browsers may not support this. Use on that can. It may actually launch a local FTP client though. Depends on the browser and platform.

Bob S

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 12:08 , G E Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry this is OT, but I don’t know where to turn for advice.
>
> I have a web site and from time to time I put up files as well as pages. I use Transmit, a Mac FTP client. Uploads work fine, but I now find that when I want to access such a file via a browser using http, I get “you don’t have permission...”. I’ve set the permissions via Transmit to “everyone can read”. I think the numeric equivalent is 644, although I am not at all sure what this means.
>
> I’ve tried various browsers on different devices.
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

Re: OT: Can’t download file

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks, but it ain’t the FTP aspects that worry me, since my uploads via FTP always work using normal FTP clients: it’s the straight download from a publicly available web site. I’ve achieved this with binary files before (for example, with Mac installers), but now I have been bitten by this permissions thing. I have asked our hosting company about it. I obviously did something new and wrong, I just can’t work out what it was.

Graham