OT: Director 12 released

skiplondon
FYI:

I know there are a few of us who are from the Director world... just saw
that version 12 was released today.

SKI

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Hi,

this link was posted in the german directtor list and i think you all should read at least point 4. and 5.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/director_supplemental_terms.html

4. PAYMENT FOR PAID IOS APPS. WITH RESPECT TO EACH PAID IOS APP, CUSTOMER SHALL PAY ADOBE 10% OF THE REVENUE PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR ITS AFFILIATE(S) TO CUSTOMER IN RELATION TO SUCH PAID IOS APP IN A QUARTER (“Adobe Revenue Share”). NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, CUSTOMER SHALL NOT HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO PAY ADOBE ANY SHARE OF AN INITIAL REVENUE OF USD 20,000 THAT IS PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR ITS AFFILIATE TO CUSTOMER FOR AN IOS APP. IN THE EVENT THE CUSTOMER CONVERTS AN IOS APP TO A PAID IOS APP, THE CONDITIONS APPLICABLE FOR PAID IOS APPS AS SET OUT IN THIS SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS SHALL APPLY TO SUCH CONVERTED PAID IOS APP. IF THE CUSTOMER IS NOT AGREEABLE TO THE TERMS SET OUT IN THIS CLAUSE, CUSTOMER MAY NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.

5 is much longer, so read it online.

In short: Adobe wants to be paid, if we sell an iOS app which was created with Director !

Regards,

Matthias

--
Matthias Rebbe
matthias (at) rebbe.tk

Am 11.02.2013 um 15:41 schrieb Magicgate Software - Skip Kimpel <[hidden email]>:

> FYI:
>
> I know there are a few of us who are from the Director world... just saw
> that version 12 was released today.
>
> SKI

AW: OT: Director 12 released

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Wow! Always read the small printed (don't know the English saying)

Auftrag

> von Matthias Rebbe
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013 12:41
> An: How to use LiveCode
> Betreff: Re: OT: Director 12 released
>
> Hi,
>
> this link was posted in the german directtor list and i think you all
> should read at least point 4. and 5.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/director_supplemental_terms.html
>

> 4. PAYMENT FOR PAID IOS APPS. WITH RESPECT TO EACH PAID IOS APP,
> CUSTOMER SHALL PAY ADOBE 10% OF THE REVENUE PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR
ITS
> AFFILIATE(S) TO CUSTOMER IN RELATION TO SUCH PAID IOS APP IN A QUARTER
> (“Adobe Revenue Share”). NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, CUSTOMER SHALL NOT
> HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO PAY ADOBE ANY SHARE OF AN INITIAL REVENUE OF USD
> 20,000 THAT IS PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR ITS AFFILIATE TO CUSTOMER FOR
AN
> IOS APP. IN THE EVENT THE CUSTOMER CONVERTS AN IOS APP TO A PAID IOS APP,
> THE CONDITIONS APPLICABLE FOR PAID IOS APPS AS SET OUT IN THIS
SUPPLEMENTAL
> TERMS AND CONDITIONS SHALL APPLY TO SUCH CONVERTED PAID IOS APP. IF THE
> CUSTOMER IS NOT AGREEABLE TO THE TERMS SET OUT IN THIS CLAUSE, CUSTOMER
MAY

> NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.
>
> 5 is much longer, so read it online.
>
> In short: Adobe wants to be paid, if we sell an iOS app which was created
> with Director !
>

> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Rebbe
> matthias (at) rebbe.tk
> Tel +49.5741.310000
> Tel +49.160.5504462
> --
>

> Am 11.02.2013 um 15:41 schrieb Magicgate Software - Skip Kimpel
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > FYI:
> >
> > I know there are a few of us who are from the Director world... just
> > saw that version 12 was released today.
> >
> > SKI

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Klaus on-rev
Hi Tiemo,

Am 13.02.2013 um 13:47 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB <[hidden email]>:

> Wow! Always read the small printed (don't know the English saying)

that's "the fine print" :-)

>> Betreff: Re: OT: Director 12 released
>> Hi,
>>
>> this link was posted in the german directtor list and i think you all
>> should read at least point 4. and 5.
>> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/director_supplemental_terms.html
>>
>> 4. PAYMENT FOR PAID IOS APPS. WITH RESPECT TO EACH PAID IOS APP,
>> NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.
>>
>> 5 is much longer, so read it online.
>> In short: Adobe wants to be paid, if we sell an iOS app which was created
>> with Director !

Not really surprised... ;-)

>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

AW: OT: Director 12 released

Tiemo Hollmann TB
Klaus,
I knew I could count on you. Did you translated it with ditto?
Tiemo

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Klaus on-rev
Hi Tiemo,

Am 13.02.2013 um 14:08 schrieb "Tiemo Hollmann TB" <[hidden email]>:

> Klaus,
> I knew I could count on you. Did you translated it with ditto?

EX-ACTLY! :-D

> Tiemo

>> Hi Tiemo,
>> Am 13.02.2013 um 13:47 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB <[hidden email]>:
>>> Wow! Always read the small printed (don't know the English saying)
>> that's "the fine print" :-)

>> Not really surprised... ;-)

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Colin Holgate-2
It's pretty entertaining to watch the heated debates, in the public email lists and in the private Director beta. To take advantage of the timing I posted this to the Director email list just now:

"There is some overlap between what Director is used for and what LiveCode is used for, and if you're a fan of verbose Lingo you'll find the language familiar too.

So, just a reminder that if this Kickstarter project succeeds:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode

you will have a tool that can publish to Mac, Windows, Linux, Server, iOS, and Android, for free, and with no royalty payments."

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Colin Holgate-2
Either expression works.

On Feb 13, 2013, at 7:51 AM, Klaus on-rev <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Wow! Always read the small printed (don't know the English saying)
>
> that's "the fine print" :-)

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 02/13/2013 01:40 PM, Matthias Rebbe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this link was posted in the german directtor list and i think you all should read at least point 4. and 5.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/director_supplemental_terms.html
>

> 4. PAYMENT FOR PAID IOS APPS. WITH RESPECT TO EACH PAID IOS APP, CUSTOMER SHALL PAY ADOBE 10% OF THE REVENUE PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR ITS AFFILIATE(S) TO CUSTOMER IN RELATION TO SUCH PAID IOS APP IN A QUARTER (“Adobe Revenue Share”). NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, CUSTOMER SHALL NOT HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO PAY ADOBE ANY SHARE OF AN INITIAL REVENUE OF USD 20,000 THAT IS PAID BY APPLE INC. AND / OR ITS AFFILIATE TO CUSTOMER FOR AN IOS APP. IN THE EVENT THE CUSTOMER CONVERTS AN IOS APP TO A PAID IOS APP, THE CONDITIONS APPLICABLE FOR PAID IOS APPS AS SET OUT IN THIS SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS SHALL APPLY TO SUCH CONVERTED PAID IOS APP. IF THE CUSTOMER IS NOT AGREEABLE TO THE TERMS SET OUT IN THIS CLAUSE, CUSTOMER MAY NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.
>
> 5 is much longer, so read it online.
>
> In short: Adobe wants to be paid, if we sell an iOS app which was created with Director !

Cheeky b*gg*rs!

Perhaps the fact that this is NOT the case with the commercial variant
of Livecode should
be more widely advertised.

I do think RunRev keep a lot of their light under bushels.

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Matthias Rebbe wrote:
 > In short: Adobe wants to be paid, if we sell an iOS app which was
 > created with Director !

They weren't paid when licensees gave them $999?

This is the best gift ever - for every company that competes with Adobe. :)

When we consider this in light of the underhanded way they EOL'd GoLive
and LiveMotion, one can easily imagine Adobe has a special team working
full-time to think up novel ways to alienate their most loyal customers.

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Ben Rubinstein
On 13/02/2013 13:44, Colin Holgate wrote:
> ...you will have a tool that can publish to Mac, Windows, Linux, Server, iOS, and Android, for free, and with no royalty payments."

err... I think that's narrowly accurate, but perhaps a shade misleading. If
you wanted to sell your app (on any platform) - you'd have to buy a commercial
license - so in the context where Adobe would charge royalties, LiveCode won't
be free.  "... for free, or at least with no royalty payments" might be closer.

But hey, if your message brings in a few more people pledging, I don't care!

Ben

Re: OT: Director 12 released

Colin Holgate-2
I did follow up with a correction about the Apple stores, and how you would have to be current with the £319 for that year. But looking at the FAQ table, only closed source and Apple apps need the commercial license. Apps that are monetized but open source come under the free license.