[OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

Many Developers in this platform uses Dropbox in
their LiveCode's apps. So...

I upload a PDF file of 1,147,732 kb (1.09 mb)
then downloaded the same file to verify it
Downloaded PDF file is 1,165,331 kb (1.11 mb)

Both files are visually identical.
How many of you have seen this before
while using Dropbox?

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: [OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Mike Kerner
I'm just taking a flyer, here, but they may actually be the same, and if
you compare them byte-by-byte (say, use LC to open and read the files and
them compare them), you may find they are the same.  The difference may
well be due to differences in block sizes and positions with the hard
drive.  Especially as you get into bigger drives, block sizes tend to grow.

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Many Developers in this platform uses Dropbox in
> their LiveCode's apps. So...
>
> I upload a PDF file of 1,147,732 kb (1.09 mb)
> then downloaded the same file to verify it
> Downloaded PDF file is 1,165,331 kb (1.11 mb)
>
> Both files are visually identical.
> How many of you have seen this before
> while using Dropbox?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Alejandro Tejada
Actually, both files have different checksums.
I will check both files, byte by byte,
to learn the differences between both.

Al

Re: [OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Dr. Hawkins
On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Actually, both files have different checksums.
> I will check both files, byte by byte,
> to learn the differences between both.

I have found that to share executables with Wuala, I have to bzip them
first, otherwise when the other person downloads, the file isn't valid.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Mike Kerner
Oh crap, that remindes me, Alejandro, are you base64encoding them, first?
 If you don't, you can wind up with some oopsies.

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually, both files have different checksums.
> > I will check both files, byte by byte,
> > to learn the differences between both.
> >

> I have found that to share executables with Wuala, I have to bzip them
> first, otherwise when the other person downloads, the file isn't valid.
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
> (702) 508-8462

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [OT] Dropbox modifies uploaded file

Alejandro Tejada
I found the origin of the problem. Only happens using Google Chrome.

When you click a dropbox link to download a pdf file, Google Chrome
opens the pdf file in a new window.

When you save this pdf (opened in a Google Chrome window) you are
not saving the original file, but a new version created by
Google Chrome...

That is the problem. Only happens with pdf saved from
a Google Chrome window.

Al