OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Can anyone point me to a utility that would allow for the following scenario?:

Select a section of a .mov file
Set a particular number of frames desired for export
Have the selected section of the .mov file divided into the above number of frames, and
Export a still of each section

So let's assume you have a person diving.

Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
Select 10 frames
Click export
You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice

Of course it wouldn't need to work exactly as the above, but this is the idea... to be able to print freeze frame analysis of sports plays

Thanks,
Mark

I'm using Mac, but have Windows installed under Parallels

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

xtalkprogrammer
Mark,

Probably you want to try EnhancedQT external.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

We have updated TwistAWord. Download TwistAWord 1.1 at http://www.twistaword.net

Op 28 apr 2010, om 16:45 heeft Mark Swindell het volgende geschreven:

> Can anyone point me to a utility that would allow for the following
> scenario?:
>
> Select a section of a .mov file
> Set a particular number of frames desired for export
> Have the selected section of the .mov file divided into the above
> number of frames, and
> Export a still of each section
>
> So let's assume you have a person diving.
>
> Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
> Select 10 frames
> Click export
> You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action
> sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice
>

> Of course it wouldn't need to work exactly as the above, but this is
> the idea... to be able to print freeze frame analysis of sports plays
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> I'm using Mac, but have Windows installed under Parallels

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Thanks, Mark.

I should have specified.  I'm not looking for a Rev solution, necessarily, but any shareware program (or maybe iMovie has this feature... I haven't fully explored, hoping someone here might save the guesswork and share their experience, if it exists.

Mark

On Apr 28, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Probably you want to try EnhancedQT external.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> We have updated TwistAWord. Download TwistAWord 1.1 at http://www.twistaword.net
>
> Op 28 apr 2010, om 16:45 heeft Mark Swindell het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Can anyone point me to a utility that would allow for the following scenario?:
>>
>> Select a section of a .mov file
>> Set a particular number of frames desired for export
>> Have the selected section of the .mov file divided into the above number of frames, and
>> Export a still of each section
>>
>> So let's assume you have a person diving.
>>
>> Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
>> Select 10 frames
>> Click export
>> You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice
>>

>> Of course it wouldn't need to work exactly as the above, but this is the idea... to be able to print freeze frame analysis of sports plays
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
>> I'm using Mac, but have Windows installed under Parallels

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

xtalkprogrammer
Hi Mark,

Open a movie in QuickTime, select a frame somewere in the movie,
choose Copy from the Edit menu, paste in Word or TextEdit.

I know it works in Mac OS X, it might also work in Windows.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

We have updated TwistAWord. Download TwistAWord 1.1 at http://www.twistaword.net

Op 28 apr 2010, om 17:30 heeft Mark Swindell het volgende geschreven:

> Thanks, Mark.
>
> I should have specified.  I'm not looking for a Rev solution,
> necessarily, but any shareware program (or maybe iMovie has this
> feature... I haven't fully explored, hoping someone here might save
> the guesswork and share their experience, if it exists.
>
> Mark

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Yes, but that's not what I'm asking for.  I want something that will divide a section into even increments and export a series of stills as a batch function.  I think I described the intent as clearly as I can in my initial post.

Thanks
Mark

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Open a movie in QuickTime, select a frame somewere in the movie, choose Copy from the Edit menu, paste in Word or TextEdit.
>
> I know it works in Mac OS X, it might also work in Windows.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> We have updated TwistAWord. Download TwistAWord 1.1 at http://www.twistaword.net
>
> Op 28 apr 2010, om 17:30 heeft Mark Swindell het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Thanks, Mark.
>>
>> I should have specified.  I'm not looking for a Rev solution, necessarily, but any shareware program (or maybe iMovie has this feature... I haven't fully explored, hoping someone here might save the guesswork and share their experience, if it exists.
>>
>> Mark

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 28/04/2010 17:45, Mark Swindell wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a utility that would allow for the following scenario?:
>
> Select a section of a .mov file
> Set a particular number of frames desired for export
> Have the selected section of the .mov file divided into the above number of frames, and
> Export a still of each section
>
> So let's assume you have a person diving.
>
> Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
> Select 10 frames
> Click export
> You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice
>

> Of course it wouldn't need to work exactly as the above, but this is the idea... to be able to print freeze frame analysis of sports plays
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> I'm using Mac, but have Windows installed under Parallels

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
I own Quicktime Pro.  I don't see this feature in it.  Can you point me to how to achieve this as a batch function in QT Pro?
Thanks,
Mark

On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On 28/04/2010 17:45, Mark Swindell wrote:
>> Can anyone point me to a utility that would allow for the following scenario?:
>>
>> Select a section of a .mov file
>> Set a particular number of frames desired for export
>> Have the selected section of the .mov file divided into the above number of frames, and
>> Export a still of each section
>>
>> So let's assume you have a person diving.
>>
>> Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
>> Select 10 frames
>> Click export
>> You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice
>>

>> Of course it wouldn't need to work exactly as the above, but this is the idea... to be able to print freeze frame analysis of sports plays
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>
>> I'm using Mac, but have Windows installed under Parallels

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
I found this, which apparently does exactly what I want, but it's $100.00, and a Windows program.  Too steep... mine is a purely hobby-related need.

http://www.videocharge.com/image_tmp/wizad_thumb.jpg

Still accepting alternatives, if any exist.  :)

Mark

On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Mark Swindell wrote:

> Yes, but that's not what I'm asking for.  I want something that will divide a section into even increments and export a series of stills as a batch function.  I think I described the intent as clearly as I can in my initial post.
>
> Thanks
> Mark
>
> On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Open a movie in QuickTime, select a frame somewere in the movie, choose Copy from the Edit menu, paste in Word or TextEdit.
>>
>> I know it works in Mac OS X, it might also work in Windows.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mark Schonewille
>>
>> Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
>> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
>>
>> We have updated TwistAWord. Download TwistAWord 1.1 at http://www.twistaword.net
>>
>> Op 28 apr 2010, om 17:30 heeft Mark Swindell het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> Thanks, Mark.
>>>
>>> I should have specified.  I'm not looking for a Rev solution, necessarily, but any shareware program (or maybe iMovie has this feature... I haven't fully explored, hoping someone here might save the guesswork and share their experience, if it exists.
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Ian Wood-3

On 28 Apr 2010, at 15:45, Mark Swindell wrote:

> Select a dive (a five second section of .mov file)
> Select 10 frames
> Click export
> You get 10 evenly spaced stills of the dive (a stop action
> sequence)  exported to the folder of your choice

1. QuickTime Pro. Export..., Movie to Image Sequence will do roughly
what you want.

2. Remember that a video file is a series of discrete frames. Making a
selection and then exporting an image sequence with an arbitrary
number of frames or arbitrary framerate is a recipe for a mess...

Ian

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

J. Landman Gay
Mark Swindell wrote:
> I found this, which apparently does exactly what I want, but it's
> $100.00, and a Windows program.  Too steep... mine is a purely
> hobby-related need.
>
> http://www.videocharge.com/image_tmp/wizad_thumb.jpg
>
> Still accepting alternatives, if any exist.  :)

To be honest, I think you could write a little Rev utility pretty
quickly. Place the player controller at the start of the segment, get
the currentTime, put it at the end of the segment, get the curentTime.
By subtracting the two and diving that number by the number of images
you want, you'll get an even distribution.

After that it's just a matter of scripting a loop that sets the
currentTime of the movie to the desired frame and taking a snapshot.

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.  :)

Mark

Mark Swindell wrote:
> I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.  :)

Hey, we're a Rev list -- whaddya expect? :)

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

BNig
Mark,
is this one off or do you want to write a stack that does this repeatedly? Is it ok to use apple script, i.e. Mac only? What system version do you use? Do you have Quicktime Pro?
this is a little applescript that assumes your quicktime movie does only have one track and that is the movie. It makes a selection in that movie and copies the selection to a new document. Than it deletes all the frames except every fifth. If you have Quicktime Pro you can export these frames as image sequence manually. If you don't have Quicktime Pro I can see if I can provide you with a preset file for exporting the images. You dont need the Pro license to script and export from Quicktime Player.
Of course you can do all this from within Rev and take the selection of the movie you manually make and send it as applescript to the Quicktime Player, which opens the movie, selects what you have selected in Rev and does the export. It is just a little more scripting.
If you want to go Jaque's way of exporting snapshots you have to make assumptions about the framerate. Rev only gives you the duration and the timescale. Usually quicktime movies have a timescale of 600, but not necessarily so. At a timescale of 600 a duration of 1200 is 2 seconds worth of movie. At a framerate of 25 that would be 50 frames. A single frame would have the duration of 24. At a framerate of 30/sec the duration of an individual frame would be 20. So assume you have a framerate of 30 you would advance your currenttime by 30 to go to the next frame, or by 150 to advance by 5 frames.
here is the applescript
------------------------------
set tStart to 866
set tEnd to 1081

tell application "QuickTime Player"
        set tName to name of document 1
        tell document tName
                set the selection start to tStart
                set the selection end to tEnd
                copy
        end tell
        set tSelectionDocName to "mySelection"
        make new document
        paste document 1
        set tSelectionDocName to name of document 1
        set tNoOfFrames to the number of frames of track 1 of document tSelectionDocName
        repeat
                if tNoOfFrames = 0 then exit repeat
                if tNoOfFrames mod 5 ≠ 0 then delete frame tNoOfFrames of track 1 of document tSelectionDocName
                set tNoOfFrames to tNoOfFrames - 1
        end repeat
end tell
----------------------------
it also assumes that the movie you are interested in is the frontmost in Quicktime Player.
regards
Bernd

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Hi Bernd,

I'm actually looking for the capacity to take sections of sports video and break down specific techniques into a series of stills for on-paper analysis.  Your post illuminates the complexity of "dashing off" a method of doing so ("plodding along" would be more like it for me).  While the exercise would surely teach me a lot, in this case I'd much rather pay $25.00-50.00 for a fully functioning shareware or commercial program than invest hours and hours perfecting something that will still be imperfect and up to myself to maintain over time.

For anyone else who might be interested, the following looks very promising, and for a very reasonable price tag of $26.00.  Unfortunately, Stuffit Expander won't unpack it correctly so I can't try it just yet.  Waiting to hear back from Tech Support.

http://www.xilisoft.com/video-snapshot-mac.html

Thank you, though, for your scripts and insight into a solution.

Because of people like you and the other responders, this list just can't be beat.

Mark

On Apr 28, 2010, at 12:23 PM, BNig wrote:

> Mark,
> is this one off or do you want to write a stack that does this repeatedly?
> Is it ok to use apple script, i.e. Mac only? What system version do you use?
> Do you have Quicktime Pro?
> this is a little applescript that assumes your quicktime movie does only
> have one track and that is the movie. It makes a selection in that movie and
> copies the selection to a new document. Than it deletes all the frames
> except every fifth. If you have Quicktime Pro you can export these frames as
> image sequence manually. If you don't have Quicktime Pro I can see if I can
> provide you with a preset file for exporting the images. You dont need the
> Pro license to script and export from Quicktime Player.
> Of course you can do all this from within Rev and take the selection of the
> movie you manually make and send it as applescript to the Quicktime Player,
> which opens the movie, selects what you have selected in Rev and does the
> export. It is just a little more scripting.
> If you want to go Jaque's way of exporting snapshots you have to make
> assumptions about the framerate. Rev only gives you the duration and the
> timescale. Usually quicktime movies have a timescale of 600, but not
> necessarily so. At a timescale of 600 a duration of 1200 is 2 seconds worth
> of movie. At a framerate of 25 that would be 50 frames. A single frame would
> have the duration of 24. At a framerate of 30/sec the duration of an
> individual frame would be 20. So assume you have a framerate of 30 you would
> advance your currenttime by 30 to go to the next frame, or by 150 to advance
> by 5 frames.
> here is the applescript
> ------------------------------
> set tStart to 866
> set tEnd to 1081
>
> tell application "QuickTime Player"
> set tName to name of document 1
> tell document tName
> set the selection start to tStart
> set the selection end to tEnd
> copy
> end tell
> set tSelectionDocName to "mySelection"
> make new document
> paste document 1
> set tSelectionDocName to name of document 1
> set tNoOfFrames to the number of frames of track 1 of document
> tSelectionDocName
> repeat
> if tNoOfFrames = 0 then exit repeat
> if tNoOfFrames mod 5 ≠ 0 then delete frame tNoOfFrames of track 1 of
> document tSelectionDocName
> set tNoOfFrames to tNoOfFrames - 1
> end repeat
> end tell

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Stephen Barncard-4
It all depends on how much you want to customize your workflow, and how much
time it might take.

Also look into Apple-scriptablity of the app you might purchase. You could
use REV for a front end for that.

On 29 April 2010 07:14, Mark Swindell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> advance
> > by 5 frames.
> > here is the applescript
> > ------------------------------
> > set tStart to 866
> > set tEnd to 1081
> >
> > tell application "QuickTime Player"
> >       set tName to name of document 1
> >       tell document tName
> >               set the selection start to tStart
> >               set the selection end to tEnd
> >               copy
> >       end tell
> >       set tSelectionDocName to "mySelection"
> >       make new document
> >       paste document 1
> >       set tSelectionDocName to name of document 1
> >       set tNoOfFrames to the number of frames of track 1 of document
> > tSelectionDocName
> >       repeat
> >               if tNoOfFrames = 0 then exit repeat
> >               if tNoOfFrames mod 5 ≠ 0 then delete frame tNoOfFrames of

I liked the idea of what you were looking for and gave it a shot.
type

go stack url  "http://www.berndniggemann.on-rev.com/frameexport/Every5thFrameExport.rev"

into the message box and hit return and the stack should show up.
or download the zipped version
http://berndniggemann.on-rev.com/frameexport/Every5thFrameExport.rev.zip
It is only useful on a Mac since it uses applescript. it is tested on MacOsX 10.5.8 and Quicktime player > 7.3. It will give you (hopefully :) ) every 5th, 7th, 9th or 11th frame from a selection you make in the player in the stack (adaptable)

Wasn't it Mark Twain who said it is a waste of time to write a book since you can buy one for 50 cents anywhere? (g)

Even assuming it works for you it might still be a better idea to buy the shareware...
regards
Bernd

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

BNig
Mark,
I forgot to mention:
It should work even without a Quicktime Player Pro license. I did not test that though.
regards
Bernd

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Michael Kann
Mark, this probably isn't exactly what you need, but you might take a look at this website:

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasiamac/

> [...]
> >
> > tell application "QuickTime Player"
> >     set tName to name of document 1
> >     tell document tName
> >         set the
> selection start to tStart
> >         set the
> selection end to tEnd
> >         copy
> >     end tell
> >     set tSelectionDocName to
> "mySelection"
> >     make new document
> >     paste document 1
> >     set tSelectionDocName to name of
> document 1
> >     set tNoOfFrames to the number of
> frames of track 1 of document
> > tSelectionDocName
> >     repeat
> >         if tNoOfFrames =
> 0 then exit repeat
> >         if tNoOfFrames
> mod 5 ≠ 0 then delete frame tNoOfFrames of track 1 of

This is very cool!  Unfortunately I don't get any stills in the folder on the desktop, don't know where the breakdown might be (the folder is there, though).  But the idea is great and shows how easily a solution can be crafted by someone with the chops to do so.

I'm using a MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.3 and QuickTime 7 (Pro) or Quicktime X (is it?) for other viewing.

Thanks so much for having a go at this.

Mark

On 28 Apr 2010, at 17:16, Mark Swindell wrote:

> I own Quicktime Pro.  I don't see this feature in it.  Can you point
> me to how to achieve this as a batch function in QT Pro?

Again, in case you missed this reply the first time around. This
functionality is built in to QT Pro.

Ian