OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

BNig
Mark,
too bad. (I kind of was afraid of that, too many variables...)
Right now I can not test it on MacOsX 10.6.x.

Does the Quicktime Player with the movie show up at all?

It was a nice try, though.

Should anybody have tried it I would appreciate a short notice of how it went.

regards
Bernd

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Hi Ian,

 I did see it, and you're absolutely right, it does do what you say.

The down side is one can't set the parameters of how many frames per second to export (29 or 25, yes, but I only want a clip of x length divided into, let's say, y frames... can't do that).  At 25 fps a four second clip yields 100 stills, and wading through all that manually is cumbersome.

Thanks again for pointing out what is possible, though.  Much appreciated.
Mark

On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Ian Wood wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2010, at 17:16, Mark Swindell wrote:
>
>> I own Quicktime Pro.  I don't see this feature in it.  Can you point me to how to achieve this as a batch function in QT Pro?
>

> Again, in case you missed this reply the first time around. This functionality is built in to QT Pro.
>
> Ian
>

> On 28 Apr 2010, at 17:52, Ian Wood wrote:
>
>> 1. QuickTime Pro. Export..., Movie to Image Sequence will do roughly what you want.
>>
>> 2. Remember that a video file is a series of discrete frames. Making a selection and then exporting an image sequence with an arbitrary number of frames or arbitrary framerate is a recipe for a mess...
>>
>> Ian

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Ian Wood-3

On 29 Apr 2010, at 23:41, Mark Swindell wrote:

> The down side is one can't set the parameters of how many frames per
> second to export

Click the 'Options...' button in the save dialog, but for best results
make sure you pick a frame rate that is a nice divider of the actual
video framerate.

QT Pro is *enormously* powerful for this kind of thing, but the
interface sucks.

Ian

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Mark Swindell
Ian,

OMG and gag-me-with-a-spoon and etc etc etc.  You're right.  This is all, only, and exactly what I wanted.  Thanks for your patient explanation of how to achieve it.

And all that about Apple being the king of interface?  Only for amateurs.  The "Pro" versions?  Maybe not so much.

Thanks again.  This is great news.  And an ubercrap interface.

Mark

On Apr 29, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Ian Wood wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2010, at 23:41, Mark Swindell wrote:
>
>> The down side is one can't set the parameters of how many frames per second to export
>
> Click the 'Options...' button in the save dialog, but for best results make sure you pick a frame rate that is a nice divider of the actual video framerate.
>
> QT Pro is *enormously* powerful for this kind of thing, but the interface sucks.
>
> Ian

Re: OT Exporting movie clip to stills

Stephen Barncard-4
Here's a shareware product that does a lot more... BTV PRO -- I just bought
a copy.

download:
http://www.bensoftware.com/btv/dlindex.html
info