[OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Colin Holgate-2
Some of you here are expert at Filemaker and also non-Roman languages. Any idea how to use Hindi text inside Filemaker? It seems to cope with Chinese, Japanese, and Thai, but apparently not Hindi. The text gets converted to scrambled Roman characters.

Re: [OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Colin Holgate-2
Nobody replied to this question, so here’s an easier one:

You’re looking at an Excel spreadsheet, and can clearly see Hindi text in the cells. How do you get that text out of Excel? Copy and past doesn’t work, nor does exporting Unicode text.

> On Dec 2, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Some of you here are expert at Filemaker and also non-Roman languages. Any idea how to use Hindi text inside Filemaker? It seems to cope with Chinese, Japanese, and Thai, but apparently not Hindi. The text gets converted to scrambled Roman characters.

Re: [OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Mike Bonner
Not sure if it would work, and I have no way to try it, but I think you
could set up the spreadsheet as an odbc datasource and pull from it using
lc database functionality.  Pretty sure that part work, but whether the
hindi would arrive intact is another question.

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nobody replied to this question, so here’s an easier one:
>
> You’re looking at an Excel spreadsheet, and can clearly see Hindi text in
> the cells. How do you get that text out of Excel? Copy and past doesn’t
> work, nor does exporting Unicode text.
>

> > On Dec 2, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > >Some of you here are expert at Filemaker and also non-Roman languages.
> Any idea how to use Hindi text inside Filemaker? It seems to cope with
> Chinese, Japanese, and Thai, but apparently not Hindi. The text gets
> converted to scrambled Roman characters.

Re: [OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Colin Holgate-2
Made a discovery. Copy and paste can work if you paste into the right program/ It seems that fonts that can show Roman, Chinese, Japanese, and Thai, cannot show Hindi. The solution may be to change the font to a Hindi one just when using Hindi, and leave it alone for all other languages.

Re: [OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Vaughn Clement
Hi Colin

Are you trying to use Hindi for the FileMaker screen text, or in the fields
where the user adds data?

Option 1

I add a global field example _Text Header to the layout using a "Merge
Field", then I use a calculation to equal the value assigned and assign
that value from a field with the name I want the Merge field to contain.
Then on a layout I call the language translation screen, I collect both the
merge field and the field that will get the text I want to use on the
layout. When you type the language (any language) in the text field, the
merge global will display that text.

Option 2

If you want all of the text in the program in a different language, set the
language text for FileMaker (Preferences, Fonts, then select the text font
to be used.) If you have the original install DVD the language files are on
that DVD. If you don't have the disc, go to FileMaker.com/support and
download the country language fonts you want to use.

Option 3

Localization of the OS, by setting the language for your OS to the language
required, all test will be set to the local country.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

On Target Solutions LLC (Support)
On Target Solutions LLC Website: http://www.ontargetsolutions.biz
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: vaughn.clement

FaceTime: [hidden email]
Ph. 928-254-9062

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Made a discovery. Copy and paste can work if you paste into the right
> program/ It seems that fonts that can show Roman, Chinese, Japanese, and
> Thai, cannot show Hindi. The solution may be to change the font to a Hindi
> one just when using Hindi, and leave it alone for all other languages.

Re: [OT] Filemaker and Hindi

Colin Holgate-2
Thanks for the ideas. The final text ends up in an XML export. We see Hindi in the Excel spreadsheet that the translators are providing, but it ends up as scrambled Roman characters in Filemaker. I think though that those characters will end up looking right if I set the font to a Hindi one. One complication is that some of the Roman characters end up being XML markup characters, which breaks the XML. I can solve that by putting Hindi entries inside CDATA tags. It’s a shame though to have to go to that trouble when other non-Roman languages are working fine.