[OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

[OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi,

inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to built my own version of such a tool.

On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple DMG files.
Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.

I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better, but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as InstallGadget did.

InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.

I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.

InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>

Regards,

Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
this is cool.. thank you.....i'm very interested in the code signing
tool...where would it source the certificates? and how much?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool
> InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
> I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and
> InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work
> with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to
> built my own version of such a tool.
>
> On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest
> version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The
> needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple
> DMG files.
> Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of
> InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.
>
> I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better,
> but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as
> InstallGadget did.
>
> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other
> who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>
> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so
> that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after
> creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>
> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at
> https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This sounds great, Matthias. Just a few weeks ago a client asked me if LC
had an installer built in. You must have overheard it. :)

We do need code signing so I'm looking forward to that version. Thanks for
tackling this!

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On March 13, 2018 7:16:15 PM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Good stuff Matthias

InstallGadget was a handy little thing for a while there so I’m sure this will equally so. There’s some DMG wrangling code in the livecode repo that we use for building the mac installer if you are interested.

Cheers

Monte

> On 14 Mar 2018, at 11:14 am, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
> I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to built my own version of such a tool.
>
> On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple DMG files.
> Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.
>
> I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better, but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as InstallGadget did.
>
> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>
> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>
> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Monte,

thanks for the hint. Unfortunately i am relatively new to git in common. So if you could give me a hint/link where i could find that stuff. That would be great.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Tel +49 5741 310000
https://matthiasrebbe.eu <https://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 14.03.2018 um 07:55 schrieb Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Good stuff Matthias
>
> InstallGadget was a handy little thing for a while there so I’m sure this will equally so. There’s some DMG wrangling code in the livecode repo that we use for building the mac installer if you are interested.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte
>
>> On 14 Mar 2018, at 11:14 am, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
>> I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to built my own version of such a tool.
>>
>> On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple DMG files.
>> Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.
>>
>> I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better, but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as InstallGadget did.
>>
>> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>>
>> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>>
>> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/> <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/ <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Great stuff Matthias - helps to bang the drum for easier deployment of LC apps, my continued obsession.

Like Jacque and others, I eagerly await the code signing features.

Graham

> On 14 Mar 2018, at 03:57, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This sounds great, Matthias. Just a few weeks ago a client asked me if LC had an installer built in. You must have overheard it. :)
>
> We do need code signing so I'm looking forward to that version. Thanks for tackling this!
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On March 13, 2018 7:16:15 PM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
> I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to built my own version of such a tool.
>
> On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple DMG files.
> Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.
>
> I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better, but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as InstallGadget did.
>
> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>
> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>
> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Thanks to all for your kind words.

@Tom,
> tool...where would it source the certificates? and how much?

I am sorry, i don´t understand the question.
Do you want to know where you can buy the Software Signing Certificate for Windows?
The cheapest Seller i´ve found is K-Software (http://codesigning.ksoftware.net <http://codesigning.ksoftware.net/>).
They are selling genuine Comodo products and a Software Signing certificate cost about 84USD for 1 year. It´ll be even cheaper if you purchase it for 2, 3 or 4 years..
They even provide a very easy tool for CodeSigning for free called kSign. It has a GUI is really very easy to use.  I am using this tool for manually signing my Windows apps now for about 4 years.

@All
The upcoming code signing option in InstaMaker will only code sign the Installer, not the programs you´ve created the installer for.
For code signing in InstaMaker Microsofts signtool.exe will be used.

So at the moment the steps for code signing a Windows app and creating a signed Installer for it would be
1. Sign the Windows app and all externals using kSign.exe or Signtool.exe
Btw: the externals of a LC standalone are write protected for whatever reason. You´ll have to disable the write protection before code signing. Otherwise the externals can not signed

2. Create the Installer with InstaMaker

3. Code Sign the Installer.

When InstaMaker has  code signing support, then

1. Sign the Windows app and all externals using kSign.exe or Signtool.exe

2. Create an Installer with InstaMaker and sign it automatically.

So you´ll have to code sign your Windows program in any case first if you want to have your app also be code signed, then you can use InstaMaker to create an Installer and also code sign that installer after creation.

But as i wrote, i need some spare time for it. But i will come.

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 14.03.2018 um 01:44 schrieb Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> this is cool.. thank you.....i'm very interested in the code signing
> tool...where would it source the certificates? and how much?
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:14 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> inspired by Monte´s great, but unfortunately not available anymore, tool
>> InstallGadget, i´ve created a similar tool called InstaMaker.
>> I very often need to create Installers for my little Windows apps and
>> InstallGadget was a good friend in the past, but drag´n´drop did not work
>> with newer Windows versions and other problems appeared. So i decided to
>> built my own version of such a tool.
>>
>> On Windows InstaMaker creates Windows Installers (based on the newest
>> version of InnoSetup). You do not need to install InnoSetup separately. The
>> needed parts are already included in InstaMaker. On OS X it creates simple
>> DMG files.
>> Just drag a folder which contains your program into the program window of
>> InstaMaker or onto the InstaMaker Icon. InstaMaker does the rest for you.
>>
>> I know there are other tools out there which do the DMG stuff much better,
>> but i wanted to have a tool available which does exact the same as
>> InstallGadget did.
>>
>> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other
>> who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>>
>> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so
>> that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after
>> creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>>
>> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at
>> https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/> <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/ <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
So i took the time and  added Code Signing for the Windows version of InstaMaker.

So, who already owns a Code Signing Certificate and is keen enough to test my first build? ;)

It´s late here and i need some sleep, so i will be able to answer any request in about 9 hours.

Regards,
Matthias

> [...]
>>> InstallGadget did.
>>>
>>> InstaMaker for Windows might be a good solution for the one or the other
>>> who wants to create a Windows Installer of a program quick and easy.
>>>
>>> I will add code signing support the next weeks or when time allows, so
>>> that the Windows installer will be automatically code signed after
>>> creation. For this you will need a code signing certificate.
>>>
>>> InstaMaker is free.  You can download it from its website at
>>> https://instamaker.dermattes.de <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/> <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/ <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>> <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/ <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/> <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/ <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>>>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Matthias

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

I might be able to test. Are the links in your first post still current?

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

On 3/14/18 7:40 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> i will be able to answer any request in about 9 hours.

Real programmers don't need sleep. :)

Re: [OT] Free tool for ease Windows Installer creation

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> Am 15.03.2018 um 19:28 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 3/14/18 7:40 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
>> i will be able to answer any request in about 9 hours.
>
> Real programmers don't need sleep. :)

Who said i am a programmer. Call me software architect and grant me my sleep. ;)

9 hours btw. are not that much. It means sleep, eating, “family business”, body care and so on

Speaking of  body care I remember a colleague in the first company i worked for. He was a brilliant programmer, he did not sleep much. Sometimes he worked 3 days in a row. His workplace looked like a garbage dump. All over there was the packaging of Camembert. That was his main food. Camembert, Potato chips/crisps and Coke. The key caps of his keyboard were nearly black, because he was also a heavy smoker. And he smelled unpleasant…

That was a warning for me to never ever being like someone like him.

Btw, our boss had not a problem with that all, because firstly the work of that colleague was brilliant and secondly our boss had his own office room far far away.

So please let me sleep and smell well. ;)