OT: Hackintosh

Greetings!

Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had any trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools, getting apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love with Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.  I wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t developed/built on an Apple Certified Mac.

-Dan

Re: OT: Hackintosh

I have only built one out of hobbyist curiosity, not for work.  In use I
cannot tell the difference, but I have not submitted any apps to the app
store.  I have built Android apps and loaded them onto my own devices
without any problem.

~Roger

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had any
> trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools, getting
> apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love with
> Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.  I
> wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t developed/built
> on an Apple Certified Mac.
>
> -Dan

Re: Hackintosh

Hi Dan,

I have built 6 years ago a Hackintosh computer based on a (nowadays) old Foxconn H55 MS motherboard with and (nowadays) old Intel i7 processor.
Working on this desktop machine (12 GB RM, 512 GB SSD) is even now still a pleasure beside the fact that I own a real MacBook Pro i7 which I use when I am on the road. The machine is booting Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X El Captain and Ubuntu flawless (although configuration the Clover Bootloader took me a little more time than expected).

The good thing is that nowadays Mac OS X is free available. The only thing I would advise you when you start to build a Hackintosh is to go buy a motherboard from GigaByte (UEFI Bios) which is nowadays much closest to the specs of an iMac etc. For Wifi/Bluetooth compatibility buy an PCIe Broadcomm card (native Apple support).
For video stay to NVDIA (http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/06/hackintosh-graphics-cards.html).
Use Clover Bootloader for installation bootloader.
A lot of information you can find on TonyMac which is one of the first pioneers: https://www.tonymacx86.com/
I have passed in the beginning all the failures and successes… so if you encounter any problems just contact me if you need help.

Most important: Yes, LiveCode (all versions) have worked on this machine without any problems.

Goodluck,
Erik

On 01/08/17 21:36, "use-livecode on behalf of Dan Friedman via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Greetings!

    Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had any trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools, getting apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love with Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.  I wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t developed/built on an Apple Certified Mac.

    -Dan

Re: OT: Hackintosh

I have built one and submitted apps with no problems.  A pain to install
but it is a possibility.

Another option is MacInCloud (https://www.macincloud.com) I have used them
before as well and then map a DropBox folder to my PC so I can transfer
files back forth effortlessly.

SKIP

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have only built one out of hobbyist curiosity, not for work.  In use I
> cannot tell the difference, but I have not submitted any apps to the app
> store.  I have built Android apps and loaded them onto my own devices
> without any problem.
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had any
> > trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools,
> getting
> > apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love with
> > Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.  I
> > wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t
> developed/built
> > on an Apple Certified Mac.
> >
> > -Dan

Re: Hackintosh

By the way, I would go the route of a VM version of a hackitosh, not a
hardware, build from scratch concept.

SKIP

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Erik Beugelaar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I have built 6 years ago a Hackintosh computer based on a (nowadays) old
> Foxconn H55 MS motherboard with and (nowadays) old Intel i7 processor.
> Working on this desktop machine (12 GB RM, 512 GB SSD) is even now still a
> pleasure beside the fact that I own a real MacBook Pro i7 which I use when
> I am on the road. The machine is booting Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X El
> Captain and Ubuntu flawless (although configuration the Clover Bootloader
> took me a little more time than expected).
>
> The good thing is that nowadays Mac OS X is free available. The only thing
> I would advise you when you start to build a Hackintosh is to go buy a
> motherboard from GigaByte (UEFI Bios) which is nowadays much closest to the
> specs of an iMac etc. For Wifi/Bluetooth compatibility buy an PCIe
> Broadcomm card (native Apple support).
> For video stay to NVDIA (http://www.macbreaker.com/
> 2012/06/hackintosh-graphics-cards.html).
> Use Clover Bootloader for installation bootloader.
> A lot of information you can find on TonyMac which is one of the first
> pioneers: https://www.tonymacx86.com/
> I have passed in the beginning all the failures and successes… so if you
> encounter any problems just contact me if you need help.
>
> Most important: Yes, LiveCode (all versions) have worked on this machine
> without any problems.
>
> Goodluck,
> Erik
>

> On 01/08/17 21:36, "use-livecode on behalf of Dan Friedman via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Greetings!
>
>     Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had
> any trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools,
> getting apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love
> with Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.
> I wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t
> developed/built on an Apple Certified Mac.
>
>     -Dan

Re: Hackintosh

I agree with Skip, no hardware issues. There are many clean pre-built versions of Mac OS X (Yosemite+) available on the net to use with VMWare or Virtual Box.

Regards,
Erik

    [hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > I have built 6 years ago a Hackintosh computer based on a (nowadays) old
    > Foxconn H55 MS motherboard with and (nowadays) old Intel i7 processor.
    > Working on this desktop machine (12 GB RM, 512 GB SSD) is even now still a
    > pleasure beside the fact that I own a real MacBook Pro i7 which I use when
    > I am on the road. The machine is booting Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X El
    > Captain and Ubuntu flawless (although configuration the Clover Bootloader
    > took me a little more time than expected).
    >
    > The good thing is that nowadays Mac OS X is free available. The only thing
    > I would advise you when you start to build a Hackintosh is to go buy a
    > motherboard from GigaByte (UEFI Bios) which is nowadays much closest to the
    > specs of an iMac etc. For Wifi/Bluetooth compatibility buy an PCIe
    > Broadcomm card (native Apple support).
    > For video stay to NVDIA (http://www.macbreaker.com/
    > 2012/06/hackintosh-graphics-cards.html).
    > Use Clover Bootloader for installation bootloader.
    > A lot of information you can find on TonyMac which is one of the first
    > pioneers: https://www.tonymacx86.com/
    > I have passed in the beginning all the failures and successes… so if you
    > encounter any problems just contact me if you need help.
    >
    > Most important: Yes, LiveCode (all versions) have worked on this machine
    > without any problems.
    >
    > Goodluck,
    > Erik
    >
    >
    >
    > On 01/08/17 21:36, "use-livecode on behalf of Dan Friedman via
    > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
    > [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >     Greetings!
    >
    >     Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?  If so, have you had
    > any trouble working with XCode, iTunes Connect, Apple Developer tools,
    > getting apps approved, etc.   I would like to build one (I’m not in love
    > with Apple’s pre-built choices), but don’t want any hassles down the road.
    > I wouldn’t put it past Apple to disallow an app if it wasn’t
    > developed/built on an Apple Certified Mac.
    >
    >     -Dan

Re: OT: Hackintosh

I tried once. The problem is getting a graphics card to work correctly if you are thinking about gaming. There are all kinds of hacks to get it to work, but the bottom line is it can be iffy, and the next OS X update might break it.

Bob S

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 12:36 , Dan Friedman via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings!
>
> Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?

Re: OT: Hackintosh

Hi Dan,

You have to ask yourself the question, why are you trying to
create a Hackintosh computer?  Is it about the learning experience,
or about trying to save yourself some money, or both?

If you are doing it just to try to save some money, you have to ask
yourself how much money is your time worth?  You are going to have
to put a good deal of time into building the machine yourself. You
might just find that by the time you are all done, that it would have
been cheaper just to buy a Macintosh with all the bells, and whistles
you wanted in the first place.

If you are doing it just for the experience, well then by all means
please feel free to knock yourself out with it all.  You will definitely
learn a lot in the process I’m sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and please feel free
to share the story with us when you have it all put together.

Cheers,

Rick

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 7:27 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried once. The problem is getting a graphics card to work correctly if you are thinking about gaming. There are all kinds of hacks to get it to work, but the bottom line is it can be iffy, and the next OS X update might break it.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 12:36 , Dan Friedman via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?

Re: OT: Hackintosh

Hackintoshers Rule #1:  "If it ain't broke, don't update it!"
Hackintoshers Rule #2:  "Carbon Copy Clone it FIRST!"

Realizing that it's not real, not "of Apple", and not updating frequently
is the first step toward Hacky-happiness.  Always wait until the forums are
reporting update success stories.  Knocking on wood, following the above
rules, I have never bricked my machine.

~Roger

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried once. The problem is getting a graphics card to work correctly if
> you are thinking about gaming. There are all kinds of hacks to get it to
> work, but the bottom line is it can be iffy, and the next OS X update might
> break it.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Aug 1, 2017, at 12:36 , Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?

Re: Hackintosh

In addition what Roger said.

Hackintosh Rule #3: Buy only PC hardware components (if possible)  which are supported by Apple native.

Most problems can be avoided to use the wright components which are critical to build a good working Hackintosh.
Buy a motherboard which has already Wifi/BT (e.g.. Broadcomm) and Sound (e.g. RealTek) compatible to Apple on board (e.g. GigaByte).
Buy a videocard compatible to Apple (NVIDIA) or use the internal videocard supporting Intel HD 5000+
Buy a USB (e.g. Logitech) video camera compatible to Apple.

If you follow these rules you will have a natively working Apple. Even nowadays updating Mac OS X from Yosemite up to Sierra using Clover is working via the normal Apple procedure (App Store). Sometimes you have to refresh your kexts for sound, networking etc. after upgrading but that’s all.

Regards,
Erik

    [hidden email]> wrote:

    > I tried once. The problem is getting a graphics card to work correctly if
    > you are thinking about gaming. There are all kinds of hacks to get it to
    > work, but the bottom line is it can be iffy, and the next OS X update might
    > break it.
    >
    > Bob S
    >
    >
    > > On Aug 1, 2017, at 12:36 , Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
    > [hidden email]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Greetings!
    > >
    > > Has anyone built their own Hackintosh computer?

Re: Hackintosh

It's also great that enthusiasts have already tested much of what's out
there.  You can pick your components from this buyers guide for best
results.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/january/2017

~Roger

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Erik Beugelaar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition what Roger said.
>
> Hackintosh Rule #3: Buy only PC hardware components (if possible)  which
> are supported by Apple native.
>
> Most problems can be avoided to use the wright components which are
> critical to build a good working Hackintosh.
> Buy a motherboard which has already Wifi/BT (e.g.. Broadcomm) and Sound
> (e.g. RealTek) compatible to Apple on board (e.g. GigaByte).
> Buy a videocard compatible to Apple (NVIDIA) or use the internal videocard
> supporting Intel HD 5000+
> Buy a USB (e.g. Logitech) video camera compatible to Apple.
>
> If you follow these rules you will have a natively working Apple. Even
> nowadays updating Mac OS X from Yosemite up to Sierra using Clover is
> working via the normal Apple procedure (App Store). Sometimes you have to
> refresh your kexts for sound, networking etc. after upgrading but that’s
> all.
>
> Regards,
> Erik
>

> On 02/08/17 13:14, "use-livecode on behalf of Roger Eller via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hackintoshers Rule #1:  "If it ain't broke, don't update it!"
>     Hackintoshers Rule #2:  "Carbon Copy Clone it FIRST!"

Re: Hackintosh

We have a great community, having earned a reputation for providing a
safe, friendly environment for learning LiveCode.

With that in mind, please remember that Apple's EULA for macOS requires
that it be run only on "Apple-branded computers".

Discussions of using VMs on Mac hosts is great, useful for testing our
apps on multiple OS versions.

But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.

There are other venues where such discussion can take place.  Here in
this official LiveCode support venue, it may be better to follow the
guidelines used for the Forums, in which we avoid discussions which may
be construed as encouraging illegal activity.

Forum Guidelines
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18885>

  LiveCode Community Liaison

Re: Hackintosh

Not to start a riot or anything, but I wasn't aware discussions could violate a copyright.

Bob S

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 >> On Aug 2, 2017, at 08:56 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
 >> copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.
 >
 > Not to start a riot or anything, but I wasn't aware discussions could
 > violate a copyright.

I wrote "...discussions OF..."

See also: bikeshedding

Re: Hackintosh

Also of interest, MacWorld article (yes, MacWorld) tells users how to build
a Hackintosh.  Although the author whines a little about it being involving
some work.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3196994/macs/how-to-build-a-hackintosh.html

Someday, I believe Apple will come around and offer Genuine OS X to select
models of PC hardware.  But that's just my own hopeful idea.  For now, it
is only for fun, and should not be considered for any type of business.  If
your business can't afford a computer, then close the doors.

~Roger

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a great community, having earned a reputation for providing a
> safe, friendly environment for learning LiveCode.
>
> With that in mind, please remember that Apple's EULA for macOS requires
> that it be run only on "Apple-branded computers".
>
> Discussions of using VMs on Mac hosts is great, useful for testing our
> apps on multiple OS versions.
>
> But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
> copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.
>
> There are other venues where such discussion can take place.  Here in this
> official LiveCode support venue, it may be better to follow the guidelines
> used for the Forums, in which we avoid discussions which may be construed
> as encouraging illegal activity.
>
> Forum Guidelines
> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18885>
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  LiveCode Community Liaison
>  [hidden email]

Re: Hackintosh

I also thought about creating a Hackintosh for my workplace to spent money. After i read many many instructions and forum posts at that time i decided to by a Mac.
Why?
Because i wanted to start working right away and did not want to spent to much time on building, fiddling and so on.
And i wanted a system which i could update right away if an important update was available instead of reading again forums and waiting until a working solution was available.

And if i count the time i used just for my initial investigations how to build it and if a Hackintosh suits me…

Regards,

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 02.08.2017 um 18:45 schrieb Roger Eller via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Also of interest, MacWorld article (yes, MacWorld) tells users how to build
> a Hackintosh.  Although the author whines a little about it being involving
> some work.
>
> http://www.macworld.com/article/3196994/macs/how-to-build-a-hackintosh.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/3196994/macs/how-to-build-a-hackintosh.html>
>
> Someday, I believe Apple will come around and offer Genuine OS X to select
> models of PC hardware.  But that's just my own hopeful idea.  For now, it
> is only for fun, and should not be considered for any type of business.  If
> your business can't afford a computer, then close the doors.
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We have a great community, having earned a reputation for providing a
>> safe, friendly environment for learning LiveCode.
>>
>> With that in mind, please remember that Apple's EULA for macOS requires
>> that it be run only on "Apple-branded computers".
>>
>> Discussions of using VMs on Mac hosts is great, useful for testing our
>> apps on multiple OS versions.
>>
>> But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
>> copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.
>>
>> There are other venues where such discussion can take place.  Here in this
>> official LiveCode support venue, it may be better to follow the guidelines
>> used for the Forums, in which we avoid discussions which may be construed
>> as encouraging illegal activity.
>>
>> Forum Guidelines
>> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18885>
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> LiveCode Community Liaison

Re: Hackintosh

Indeed - freedom of speech and all.

However, I have to side with Richard here - this forum is about LiveCode and not anything else. Sure we have 'OT' discussions now and again but generally they either 'peter out' or are suggested that this is not the appropriate forum (the latter in this case).

Whilst I appreciate Apple's policy maybe irksome to many, it works for them so we do have to respect that.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 18:32, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> >> On Aug 2, 2017, at 08:56 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >>
> >> But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
> >> copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.
> >
> > Not to start a riot or anything, but I wasn't aware discussions could
> > violate a copyright.
>
> I wrote "...discussions OF..."
>
> See also: bikeshedding
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Hackintosh

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not to start a riot or anything, but I wasn't aware discussions could
> violate a copyright.
>
> Under some legal systems, discussions about how to engage in a crime, and
encouraging others to do so, can be part of a civil or criminal conspiracy,
among others.  Or inducement to commit a crime.  Or . .

In the US, it's a fuzzy line

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Hackintosh

Apple's EULA may not actually be legal or legally enforcable in a large
number of territories
where this Use-List is read.

Just seen Tim Cook "sucking the kneecaps" of China's one-party state's
leaders and blethering anent "adhering to the law" re VPNs.
Nothing makes me despise anyone more than trying to justify adherence to
laws of a totalitarian state.

Sometimes the law is an ass; as has been demonstrated by sensible
lawyers time out of mind.

This kind of reaction makes me want to scream "Richard Stallman" in a
very trenchant tones.

I also don't see how discussing how one might go about something has to
be seen as a demonstration of an intention
to carry out those actions . . .

. . . but then I don't live in a paranoid police state (Bulgaria had a
patch of that and gave it up, just as some, previously open, states
started on an opposite journey).

Of course in "parts west" they don't even need the full apparatus of a
police-state any more as they have, through political
correctness  effectively erected what Mao Zedong ( a well-known advocate
of democracy) termed "a dictatorship of the
proletariat" where the people police themselves.

Anyway we don't need to worry about that when we have our own folk
attempting to impose censorship nearer to home.

I have come up against this attitude in several places recently, the
idea that a place is "safe and friendly" only when we are not allowed to
express certain opinions.

That is the beginning of the end of proper, robust discussion and
healthy creativity.

Richmond.

On 8/2/17 6:56 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> We have a great community, having earned a reputation for providing a
> safe, friendly environment for learning LiveCode.
>
> With that in mind, please remember that Apple's EULA for macOS
> requires that it be run only on "Apple-branded computers".
>
> Discussions of using VMs on Mac hosts is great, useful for testing our
> apps on multiple OS versions.
>
> But we probably don't want to have discussions of violating Apple's
> copyright as part of this community's permanent public archive.
>
> There are other venues where such discussion can take place.  Here in
> this official LiveCode support venue, it may be better to follow the
> guidelines used for the Forums, in which we avoid discussions which
> may be construed as encouraging illegal activity.
>
> Forum Guidelines
> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18885>
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  LiveCode Community Liaison
>  [hidden email]

Re: Hackintosh

I have just started the riot: but, hey, you knew you could rely on me :)

Kisses, Richmond.