[OT] Haiku OS

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
https://www.haiku-os.org/

Does anyone know if Haiku OS;

1. Shows any sign whatsoever of gaining any traction?

2. Is there any point of attempting to compile LiveCode for Haiku OS
(beyond a spare time project)?

Re: [OT] Haiku OS

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

Current Official Version Information

Version: R1/Alpha 4.1
Release date: November 14th, 2012
Computer platform: x86-32
Something that hasn’t seen an update since 2012
probably isn’t getting much traction at all.

I hope you find this information somewhat helpful.

Rick

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 7:20 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://www.haiku-os.org/
>
> Does anyone know if Haiku OS;
>
> 1. Shows any sign whatsoever of gaining any traction?
>
> 2. Is there any point of attempting to compile LiveCode for Haiku OS (beyond a spare time project)?
>
> Richmond.

Re: [OT] Haiku OS

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
This is probably more interesting:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/google-enable-linux-apps-chrome-os-recent-code-commits-suggest

greetings,

William

[hidden email]>:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> Current Official Version Information
>
> Version: R1/Alpha 4.1
> Release date: November 14th, 2012
> Computer platform: x86-32
> Something that hasn’t seen an update since 2012
> probably isn’t getting much traction at all.
>
> I hope you find this information somewhat helpful.
>
> Rick
>
> > On Feb 28, 2018, at 7:20 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://www.haiku-os.org/
> >
> > Does anyone know if Haiku OS;
> >
> > 1. Shows any sign whatsoever of gaining any traction?
> >
> > 2. Is there any point of attempting to compile LiveCode for Haiku OS
> (beyond a spare time project)?
> >
> > Richmond.

Re: [OT] Haiku OS

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
AROS however is quite good, and has some 2018 activity.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/

http://aros.sourceforge.net/pictures/screenshots/

~Roger

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 9:52 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> Current Official Version Information
>
> Version: R1/Alpha 4.1
> Release date: November 14th, 2012
> Computer platform: x86-32
> Something that hasn’t seen an update since 2012
> probably isn’t getting much traction at all.
>
> I hope you find this information somewhat helpful.
>
> Rick
>
> > On Feb 28, 2018, at 7:20 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://www.haiku-os.org/
> >
> > Does anyone know if Haiku OS;
> >
> > 1. Shows any sign whatsoever of gaining any traction?
> >
> > 2. Is there any point of attempting to compile LiveCode for Haiku OS
> (beyond a spare time project)?
> >
> > Richmond.

Re: [OT] Haiku OS

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > https://www.haiku-os.org/
 >
 > Does anyone know if Haiku OS;
 >
 > 1. Shows any sign whatsoever of gaining any traction?

Slim to none.  Microsoft owns the desktop, Linux is the de-facto
standard beyond the desktop, Apple owns the high-end of the market.

I see little room in that mix for another OS.

Everything changes, and it's likely that sooner or later a new OS will
come along that'll wow us all.

But with all due respect to the great ideas in the project I don't think
it'll be Haiku OS, mainly because it's a desktop-only OS in a
multi-device world, with little in its underpinnings suggesting it can
be easily adapted to new form factors.

 > 2. Is there any point of attempting to compile LiveCode for Haiku OS
 > (beyond a spare time project)?

In all honesty I can imagine few activities which could produce a lower ROI.

It might have been different.  Haiku OS is the open source fork of
Jean-Louis Gassée's BeOS, at one time the front-runner when Apple was
shopping for a replacement for what we now call Mac Classic.  But once
Jobs' NeXT became a candidate, even at its much higher acquisition
price, being a Unix meant a larger supporting ecosystem, a proven
standard calming to developers and investors alike.

It's almost too bad, since BeOS has a lot of great ideas, all the way
down to the metadata-rich file system, arguably well ahead of its time.

But history has spoken, and at this time I see little profit in
deploying apps to Haiku OS.

That said, as a learning exercise studying Haiku OS can be very
fruitful.  There really are some great ideas in there.