OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Graham Samuel-4
I am probably not alone in finding the whole business of administering the iOS development process a bit of a nightmare - a nightmare set in a jungle, perhaps. The thing is, I develop alone, at my own pace, and I don't always remember the way Apple does things.

Now I find that two certificates I need - a Development Certificate and a Distribution Certificate - are about to expire, in a couple of days in fact. My Developer subscription isn't up until April, so all I want to do is to renew the certificates, but so far I can't find out how to do it. I feel I have searched the iOS Developer's documentation jungle pretty thoroughly, but I haven't found any kind of step-by-step guide. I have a vague feeling that what one has to do is just to let these ones go and create new ones, but I haven't (yet) found any text saying so, and I don't know where this notion came from.

Could someone very kindly give me some insight into this? And if they're feeling very generous, perhaps that same person could say what version of XCode I should be using with LC 5.5.3. At the moment I'm using 4.5.1 and it works, but there's a newer version, isn't there?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Graham

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Chris Sheffield-4
Hi Graham,

First, did you mean to say provisioning profiles rather than certificates? I'm pretty sure the certificates expire with your membership. The provisioning profiles don't necessarily, but those are what you need to renew if they are about to expire. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I think, though I'm not totally sure, that you can simply handle this through Xcode. If you launch Xcode and open the Organizer window then select Provisioning Profiles under Library on the left, you'll see all your installed profiles. Simply click the Refresh button. It'll prompt you for your login info for your Apple dev account (Apple ID), then I believe it will renew those profiles that are about to expire. But I'll be honest, I don't remember the exact procedure myself. Seems like every time I get to this point I have to figure it out all over again. And usually I don't get to the point where my profiles are about to expire, as I'm fairly frequently adding or removing devices from my profiles, which also causes them to renew. Anyway, once you've gone through this process, I'm hoping you'll see new profiles listed with new expiration dates, but you might also have the old ones still. Simply delete the old ones. After that, when you go to build your app in LiveCode, you may have to re-select the profile to build with in the standalone settings.

Also, Xcode 4.5.2 is available. Updating from 4.5.1 is not a big deal. I'd say go ahead and do it. There's a developer preview of Xcode 4.6 out there, but I'd hold off for now.

Hopefully that'll work for you.

Chris

--
Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.
www.readnaturally.com



On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am probably not alone in finding the whole business of administering the iOS development process a bit of a nightmare - a nightmare set in a jungle, perhaps. The thing is, I develop alone, at my own pace, and I don't always remember the way Apple does things.
>
> Now I find that two certificates I need - a Development Certificate and a Distribution Certificate - are about to expire, in a couple of days in fact. My Developer subscription isn't up until April, so all I want to do is to renew the certificates, but so far I can't find out how to do it. I feel I have searched the iOS Developer's documentation jungle pretty thoroughly, but I haven't found any kind of step-by-step guide. I have a vague feeling that what one has to do is just to let these ones go and create new ones, but I haven't (yet) found any text saying so, and I don't know where this notion came from.
>
> Could someone very kindly give me some insight into this? And if they're feeling very generous, perhaps that same person could say what version of XCode I should be using with LC 5.5.3. At the moment I'm using 4.5.1 and it works, but there's a newer version, isn't there?
>
> Thanks to anyone who replies.
>
> Graham
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Dave Kilroy
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
Hi Graham

Yep you need to be careful with iOS developer and distribution certificates - mostly because you have almost no control over them Apple controls them and if something goes wrong you are at their mercy - it went wrong for me and now I can't sign code or build for iOS devices and am constrained to the simulator.

You can (I think the word is 'rescind') your developer and distribution certificates at the Provisioning Portal and get Apple to create new ones for you - although as Chris says it's easier if you let Xcode do this for you.

When my developer certificate was expiring I must have done something Apple didn't like because I ended up with two developer certificates, which throws an error and stops me building standalones for iOS

The best info I found on the process is Apple's Technical Note TN2250 - but with any luck if you instead read Apple's guides with more insight than I you will sail through the process.

BTW - for those who are interested, I don't have an extra developer certificate in my keychain, nor in the preferences folder of Xcode, nor anywhere I can find on my machine - the naughty extra certificate gets imported from the Provisioning Profile each time I get Xcode to refresh. <sigh> and I've been phoning the WorldWide Apple Developer Center since 23rd November (apparently engineers in Cupertino have looked at my problem and don't know how to fix it)

So good luck but be careful!

Dave



> I am probably not alone in finding the whole business of administering the iOS development process a bit of a nightmare - a nightmare set in a jungle, perhaps. The thing is, I develop alone, at my own pace, and I don't always remember the way Apple does things.
>
> Now I find that two certificates I need - a Development Certificate and a Distribution Certificate - are about to expire, in a couple of days in fact. My Developer subscription isn't up until April, so all I want to do is to renew the certificates, but so far I can't find out how to do it. I feel I have searched the iOS Developer's documentation jungle pretty thoroughly, but I haven't found any kind of step-by-step guide. I have a vague feeling that what one has to do is just to let these ones go and create new ones, but I haven't (yet) found any text saying so, and I don't know where this notion came from.
>
> Could someone very kindly give me some insight into this? And if they're feeling very generous, perhaps that same person could say what version of XCode I should be using with LC 5.5.3. At the moment I'm using 4.5.1 and it works, but there's a newer version, isn't there?
>
> Thanks to anyone who replies.
>
> Graham

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks to both Dave and to Chris who wrote earlier. Given the agony that one has to go through, I am a bit surprised that nobody has yet replied with a snappy step-by-step guide. I chose LiveCode and other x-talks to be able to get straight to the point of creating stuff, and this kind of bureaucracy sure gets in the way of that.

At the moment I have a couple of days before my iOS Team Provisioning Profile expires (or maybe that should be a plural? There seem to be three of them attached to my iPad). I have been in touch with Apple's European Support people, who are very nice and quite responsive, but so far they have not removed all of my confusion. I am feeling my way, but some things I am still queasy about include:

1. The need to work using both XCode and the iOS Provisioning Portal (which is essentially a web site). It's not clear to me why I can't just manage everything in XCode but it seems I can't.

2. There are some actual wrong instructions as far as i can see, particularly in XCode Organizer where there is a 'renew' button when you display a profile which is about to expire  on a device, but clicking on it doesn't do anything, not AFAIKS anyway!

3. The jargon and the underlying model of digital signing and so on, which I find very very difficult. For example the word 'Certificate' is used on the web site but not (I think) in XCode; in XCode there seems to be only one type of object, a Provisioning Profile, but I have a feeling they come in different flavours, tho as this is not explicit, I'm not sure. There are distribution profiles too: I thought I had an Ad Hoc one, but I haven't found out what happened to it. I feel that there's a game with lots of rules, but all attempts to explain the rules are somehow lost on me. It doesn't help that I find the Apple documentation convoluted and very boring, like your least favourite subject at university.

Anyway thanks again for the help so far. If I get out of the wood (and I certainly hope to do so soon), I'll try to report back to the list.

Graham

On 5 Jan 2013, at 12:51, Dave Kilroy wrote:

> Hi Graham
>
> Yep you need to be careful with iOS developer and distribution certificates - mostly because you have almost no control over them Apple controls them and if something goes wrong you are at their mercy - it went wrong for me and now I can't sign code or build for iOS devices and am constrained to the simulator.
>
> You can (I think the word is 'rescind') your developer and distribution certificates at the Provisioning Portal and get Apple to create new ones for you - although as Chris says it's easier if you let Xcode do this for you.
>
> When my developer certificate was expiring I must have done something Apple didn't like because I ended up with two developer certificates, which throws an error and stops me building standalones for iOS
>
> The best info I found on the process is Apple's Technical Note TN2250 - but with any luck if you instead read Apple's guides with more insight than I you will sail through the process.
>
> BTW - for those who are interested, I don't have an extra developer certificate in my keychain, nor in the preferences folder of Xcode, nor anywhere I can find on my machine - the naughty extra certificate gets imported from the Provisioning Profile each time I get Xcode to refresh. <sigh> and I've been phoning the WorldWide Apple Developer Center since 23rd November (apparently engineers in Cupertino have looked at my problem and don't know how to fix it)
>
> So good luck but be careful!
>
> Dave
>
>
>
>> I am probably not alone in finding the whole business of administering the iOS development process a bit of a nightmare - a nightmare set in a jungle, perhaps. The thing is, I develop alone, at my own pace, and I don't always remember the way Apple does things.
>>
>> Now I find that two certificates I need - a Development Certificate and a Distribution Certificate - are about to expire, in a couple of days in fact. My Developer subscription isn't up until April, so all I want to do is to renew the certificates, but so far I can't find out how to do it. I feel I have searched the iOS Developer's documentation jungle pretty thoroughly, but I haven't found any kind of step-by-step guide. I have a vague feeling that what one has to do is just to let these ones go and create new ones, but I haven't (yet) found any text saying so, and I don't know where this notion came from.
>>
>> Could someone very kindly give me some insight into this? And if they're feeling very generous, perhaps that same person could say what version of XCode I should be using with LC 5.5.3. At the moment I'm using 4.5.1 and it works, but there's a newer version, isn't there?
>>
>> Thanks to anyone who replies.
>>
>> Graham
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

RogGuay
For what it's worth, Graham. I totally agree with you. Of course, I'm a rookie compared to you and most of those on this list.

I built an app that I'm donating to the SETI Institute (to insure that all proceeds go to them) and so I've become a team developer for them (as well as holding my own). I have spent months on this process of trying to upload my app to Apple to no avail. At this point I am tightly wrapped around the axle, and not sure where to even start for help.

Sorry for my rant and sounding so negative, but please do report back on your progress.

Roger




On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:15 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> 2. There are some actual wrong instructions as far as i can see, particularly in XCode Organizer where there is a 'renew' button when you display a profile which is about to expire  on a device, but clicking on it doesn't do anything, not AFAIKS anyway!
>
> 3. The jargon and the underlying model of digital signing and so on, which I find very very difficult. For example the word 'Certificate' is used on the web site but not (I think) in XCode; in XCode there seems to be only one type of object, a Provisioning Profile, but I have a feeling they come in different flavours, tho as this is not explicit, I'm not sure. There are distribution profiles too: I thought I had an Ad Hoc one, but I haven't found out what happened to it. I feel that there's a game with lots of rules, but all attempts to explain the rules are somehow lost on me. It doesn't help that I find the Apple documentation convoluted and very boring, like your least favourite subject at university.
>
>
> Graham
>


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Dave Kilroy
In reply to this post by Graham Samuel-4
Graham (& Chris)

Yes this stuff is not nice if you get it wrong…

By the way, Provisioning Profiles are very different creatures from Development and Distribution Certificates - they are explained well (but it took me about three readings before it sunk in) on the Provisioning Profile (in the the 'learn' tab [or a name similar to that]) and in LiveCode UserGuide)

I won't go into the differences between the two here as: a) its been a while since I last read about them and b) I wouldn't give too much credibility to a guy who can't even sign his code to get it on iOS devices!

However I will say that in my copy of Xcode, if I open the Organizer Window and make sure I'm in the 'Devices' tab I can see my Provisioning Profiles in the 'Library' section (on the left) and see my Developer and Distribution Certificates (including the extra one I can't get rid of) in the 'Teams' section.

Good luck and keep us informed on how you get on

Dave


> For what it's worth, Graham. I totally agree with you. Of course, I'm a rookie compared to you and most of those on this list.
>
> I built an app that I'm donating to the SETI Institute (to insure that all proceeds go to them) and so I've become a team developer for them (as well as holding my own). I have spent months on this process of trying to upload my app to Apple to no avail. At this point I am tightly wrapped around the axle, and not sure where to even start for help.
>
> Sorry for my rant and sounding so negative, but please do report back on your progress.
>
> Roger
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:15 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> 2. There are some actual wrong instructions as far as i can see, particularly in XCode Organizer where there is a 'renew' button when you display a profile which is about to expire  on a device, but clicking on it doesn't do anything, not AFAIKS anyway!
>>
>> 3. The jargon and the underlying model of digital signing and so on, which I find very very difficult. For example the word 'Certificate' is used on the web site but not (I think) in XCode; in XCode there seems to be only one type of object, a Provisioning Profile, but I have a feeling they come in different flavours, tho as this is not explicit, I'm not sure. There are distribution profiles too: I thought I had an Ad Hoc one, but I haven't found out what happened to it. I feel that there's a game with lots of rules, but all attempts to explain the rules are somehow lost on me. It doesn't help that I find the Apple documentation convoluted and very boring, like your least favourite subject at university.
>>
>>
>> Graham
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Graham Samuel-4
In reply to this post by RogGuay
Us rookies should stick together!

I'm just reporting at this moment that I seem to have made some progress but I am still wading through the conceptual swamp: as a result, I don't know at all what to do when things go wrong. For example, part of the process involving the Mac Keychain Access utility (yes! a third bit of software is now involved) suggests I verify that my public and private keys are lined up. My screen doesn't look like the picture in the Provisioning Portal, but as to whether this matters and what to do about it if it does, I'm totally clueless.

The danger is now that I will stumble upon the correct solution but won't  be able to explain it, even to myself. I do hope to struggle on to a better understanding. One thing for example which I found looking at Keychain access, that there are other certificates in there - some from people I've never heard of - so there is clearly some whole universe of digital certification that Apple is riding on which remains entirely alien to me... back to the grindstone.

Graham

On 5 Jan 2013, at 17:14, Roger Guay wrote:

> For what it's worth, Graham. I totally agree with you. Of course, I'm a rookie compared to you and most of those on this list.
>
> I built an app that I'm donating to the SETI Institute (to insure that all proceeds go to them) and so I've become a team developer for them (as well as holding my own). I have spent months on this process of trying to upload my app to Apple to no avail. At this point I am tightly wrapped around the axle, and not sure where to even start for help.
>
> Sorry for my rant and sounding so negative, but please do report back on your progress.
>
> Roger
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:15 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> 2. There are some actual wrong instructions as far as i can see, particularly in XCode Organizer where there is a 'renew' button when you display a profile which is about to expire  on a device, but clicking on it doesn't do anything, not AFAIKS anyway!
>>
>> 3. The jargon and the underlying model of digital signing and so on, which I find very very difficult. For example the word 'Certificate' is used on the web site but not (I think) in XCode; in XCode there seems to be only one type of object, a Provisioning Profile, but I have a feeling they come in different flavours, tho as this is not explicit, I'm not sure. There are distribution profiles too: I thought I had an Ad Hoc one, but I haven't found out what happened to it. I feel that there's a game with lots of rules, but all attempts to explain the rules are somehow lost on me. It doesn't help that I find the Apple documentation convoluted and very boring, like your least favourite subject at university.
>>
>>
>> Graham
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode