[OT] Internet Censorship

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
96 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

How many of you could view this youTube video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k

This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
2006 documentary: How Music Works

You could find many more segments in youTube
when you select the option "Videos" in google.

The message that appears in my side of the world is:
"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
in your country on copyright grounds."

SME is Sony Music Entertainment...

Could you post your country and the message
that appears?

Thanks in advance!

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Stephen Barncard-4
banned in San Francisco CA.

On 5 August 2011 20:25, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>
> You could find many more segments in youTube
> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>
> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/OT-Internet-Censorship-tp3722715p3722715.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



--



Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Sarah Reichelt-2
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
Australia.
I get exactly the same message as you did Al.


On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>
> You could find many more segments in youTube
> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>
> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Tim Selander
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
Viewable, no error message.
Tokyo, Japan

Tim Selander

On 8/6/11 12:25 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>
> You could find many more segments in youTube
> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>
> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/OT-Internet-Censorship-tp3722715p3722715.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
Eureka!

Could this be only because Sony
is a Japanese company.???

Tim, please told us: What is the
content of this clip that merits
blocking by Sony?

Thanks in advance!

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Warren Samples
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
On Friday, August 05, 2011 10:25:18 PM Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."


This doesn't have much or even anything to do with "Censorship". This is about honoring commercial distribution agreements which will vary from country to country, not content censorship. There are lost of videos, from all over the place, which have location restrictions.

Regards,

Warren

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Warren,

Warren Samples wrote
This doesn't have much or even anything to do with "Censorship".
This is about honoring commercial distribution agreements which
will vary from country to country, not content censorship.
There are lost of videos, from all over the place, which have
location restrictions.
Even so, I want to know: What is the content of this educational video,
that many people, around the world, are not supposing to watch?

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Warren Samples
On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:30:44 PM Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> many people, around the world, are not supposing to watch

to finish your sentence... "on youtube."

I suppose you could write to Sony and ask them. While this is just speculation, it is a possibility that either some performer appears, or some material is used in this segment which is affected by contracts which prevent youtube distribution whereas the other segments which you can see on youtube are not.

Regards,

Warren

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Warren Samples
On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:45:46 PM Warren Samples wrote:

> On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:30:44 PM Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> > many people, around the world, are not supposing to watch
>
> to finish your sentence... "on youtube."
>
> I suppose you could write to Sony and ask them. While this is just speculation, it is a possibility that either some performer appears, or some material is used in this segment which is affected by contracts which prevent youtube distribution whereas the other segments which you can see on youtube are not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Warren


You'll find a discussion of this in another of these clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmnho7OvT8&feature=related

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

slylabs13
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
The country of destination is not blocking it. The source is. It's blocked in the US I see.

Bob


On Aug 5, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>
> You could find many more segments in youTube
> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>
> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/OT-Internet-Censorship-tp3722715p3722715.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
In reply to this post by Warren Samples
Hi Warren,

Warren Samples wrote
[snip]
You'll find a discussion of this in another of these clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmnho7OvT8&feature=related
Hmmm, There is no discussion in that page. (or anything else)
Only the message:
"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
in your country on copyright grounds."

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Warren Samples
On Saturday, August 06, 2011 12:48:04 AM Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> > You'll find a discussion of this in another of these clips
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmnho7OvT8&feature=related
> >
>
> Hmmm, There is no discussion in that page. (or anything else)
> Only the message:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> Al


Here is a segment of the comments from the page linked to above:

Uploader Comments (timegrinder)

This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright"

=(

Love these videos!!! 5* for them all
thomandy  2 years ago

Vid back up.
timegrinder  2 years ago  5  

what happened to the audio? Will it get back?
JaredChacon  2 years ago

Unfortunatly the entire audio for this vid has been removed as WMG have a copyright claim on a short clip in it :-/ Bass part 4 also has copyright issues and i have been considering refuting these claims on the basis of educational fair use, which is unlikely to succeed. The only other option is to reupload the vids with the clips taken out.
timegrinder  2 years ago

thanks indeed and it if it could be up without the clips at leas that would be something

phil
philmacari  2 years ago

Would seem all disputed vids are now back up.
timegrinder  2 years ago

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Tim Selander
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
It actually was quite interesting. Professionally done -- TV
maybe, or an educational video for schools? The presenter talks
about the development of chord progressions in Western music, how
it started in classical music, and the same chord progressions
are still being used today. They played clips of, say, Beethoven,
then cut to modern music -- Bruce Springsteen, Chubby Checkers,
etc., etc., that use the same chord progressions. My guess is
that it's the distribution rights on these modern pieces that
keep the video blocked in Brazil.

Are you really interested in the video itself and wish you see
it, or are you just curious as to why it's being blocked?

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On 8/6/11 1:09 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Eureka!
>
> Could this be only because Sony
> is a Japanese company.???
>
> Tim, please told us: What is the
> content of this clip that merits
> blocking by Sony?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/OT-Internet-Censorship-tp3722715p3722757.html
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Tim,

Tim Selander wrote
It actually was quite interesting. Professionally done -- TV
maybe, or an educational video for schools? The presenter talks
about the development of chord progressions in Western music, how
it started in classical music, and the same chord progressions
are still being used today. They played clips of, say, Beethoven,
then cut to modern music -- Bruce Springsteen, Chubby Checkers,
etc., etc., that use the same chord progressions. My guess is
that it's the distribution rights on these modern pieces that
keep the video blocked in Brazil.

Are you really interested in the video itself and wish you see
it, or are you just curious as to why it's being blocked?
Ideally, I would like to see it.

My curiosity arises from my contact, for many years,
with people from the Music Business.

The stories that I heard from first hand where, at the
time, like tall tales to me... But now, after confirming
from different sources, these stories were in fact,
oversimplifications of the real drama involved in the
Music Business... :-(

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Alejandro Tejada
In reply to this post by Tim Selander
Hi Tim,

Tim Selander wrote
It actually was quite interesting. Professionally done -- TV
maybe, or an educational video for schools? The presenter talks
about the development of chord progressions in Western music, how
it started in classical music, and the same chord progressions
are still being used today. They played clips of, say, Beethoven,
then cut to modern music -- Bruce Springsteen, Chubby Checkers,
etc., etc., that use the same chord progressions. My guess is
that it's the distribution rights on these modern pieces that
keep the video blocked in Brazil.

Are you really interested in the video itself and wish you see
it, or are you just curious as to why it's being blocked?
Ideally, I would like to see it.

My curiosity arises from my contact, for many years,
with people from the Music Business.

The stories that I heard from first hand where, at the
time, like tall tales to me... But now, after confirming
from different sources, these stories were in fact,
oversimplifications of the real drama involved in the
Music Business... :-(

Al
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Pierre Sahores-2
In reply to this post by Stephen Barncard-4
banned in France.

Le 6 août 2011 à 05:31, stephen barncard a écrit :

> banned in San Francisco CA.
>
> On 5 August 2011 20:25, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> How many of you could view this youTube video?
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>>
>> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
>> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>>
>> You could find many more segments in youTube
>> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>>
>> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
>> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
>> in your country on copyright grounds."
>>
>> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>>
>> Could you post your country and the message
>> that appears?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Al
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/OT-Internet-Censorship-tp3722715p3722715.html
>> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>>
>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
> Stephen Barncard
> San Francisco Ca. USA
>
> more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

--
Pierre Sahores
mobile : 06 03 95 77 70
www.sahores-conseil.com




_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
On 08/06/2011 06:25 AM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> This video is a segment of Howard Goodall's
> 2006 documentary: How Music Works
>
> You could find many more segments in youTube
> when you select the option "Videos" in google.
>
> The message that appears in my side of the world is:
> "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it
> in your country on copyright grounds."
>
> SME is Sony Music Entertainment...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?
>

Blocked in Bulgaria:

"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your
country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Richmond Mathewson-2
It is most instructive if one pastes:

"
This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country
on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

into Google . . . .  endless amounts of this.

Some of which seems very odd and rather random.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Klaus on-rev
In reply to this post by Alejandro Tejada
Hi Alejandro,

Am 06.08.2011 um 05:25 schrieb Alejandro Tejada:

> Hi All,
>
> How many of you could view this youTube video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IcvVF-p_k
>
> ...
>
> Could you post your country and the message
> that appears?
>
> Thanks in advance!

blocked in germany:
Leider ist dieses Video, das Musik von SME beinhaltet, in Deutschland nicht verfügbar,
da die GEMA die Verlagsrechte hieran nicht eingeräumt hat.
Das tut uns leid.

> Al

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Internet Censorship

Klaus on-rev
In reply to this post by Warren Samples
Hi Warren,

Am 06.08.2011 um 06:48 schrieb Warren Samples:

> On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:45:46 PM Warren Samples wrote:
>> On Friday, August 05, 2011 11:30:44 PM Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>>> many people, around the world, are not supposing to watch
>> to finish your sentence... "on youtube."
>> I suppose you could write to Sony and ask them. While this is just speculation, it is a possibility that either some performer appears, or some material is used in this segment which is affected by contracts which prevent youtube distribution whereas the other segments which you can see on youtube are not.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Warren
> You'll find a discussion of this in another of these clips:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmnho7OvT8&feature=related

which is also blocked over here in germany :-D


Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
12345