[OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

[OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

http://images.clipartpanda.com/handkerchief-clipart-smiley_face_with_a_cold_sneezing_into_handkerchief-1331px.png

It started Thursday night and have gained a strong
footing during all weekend... :-(

Could we talk about proven and useful cold remedies
from the place where you live?

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Dr. Hawkins
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Could we talk about proven and useful cold remedies
> from the place where you live?

It won't fix the cold, but horseradish directly on the roof of your mouth
will cause your sinus to contract/unpuff in very short order, at least
allowing you to breath and smell.

Horseradish is only the second best sinus un-puffer, though:  even better
is getting into a car on a 100+ day in an arid desert.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 17/11/14 20:26, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> http://images.clipartpanda.com/handkerchief-clipart-smiley_face_with_a_cold_sneezing_into_handkerchief-1331px.png
>
> It started Thursday night and have gained a strong
> footing during all weekend... :-(
>
> Could we talk about proven and useful cold remedies
> from the place where you live?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

Take a lump of fresh ginger and grate it,

the boil it up with chinese star aniseed, cardamon, cinnamon,
cloves and onions: if you want sweeten it with sugar or honey.

Drink it.

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

John
My wife uses Richmond’s concoction to good effect.  I have beat many a cold by eating a head or two of fresh minced garlic (raw) at the first sign of a cold.  You will need to mix it with something to get it down.  It has a profound effect on the body but fair warning - no one will want to be near you for a couple of days after eating it.  You will stink.

Good luck,
John

> On Nov 17, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17/11/14 20:26, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> http://images.clipartpanda.com/handkerchief-clipart-smiley_face_with_a_cold_sneezing_into_handkerchief-1331px.png
>>
>> It started Thursday night and have gained a strong
>> footing during all weekend... :-(
>>
>> Could we talk about proven and useful cold remedies
>> from the place where you live?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Al
>>

> Take a lump of fresh ginger and grate it,
>
> the boil it up with chinese star aniseed, cardamon, cinnamon,
> cloves and onions: if you want sweeten it with sugar or honey.
>
> Drink it.
>
> Richmond.

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Mike Bonner
zinc lozenges with vitamin c. Don't overdose, but like zicam the zinc is
supposed to help shorten the colds lifespan. Much more effective if you
start them early though (also like zicam)  or.. um.. zicam.  (assuming
viral not bacterial)  zinc lozenges are cheaper than zicam which is why I
go that way.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wife uses Richmond’s concoction to good effect.  I have beat many a
> cold by eating a head or two of fresh minced garlic (raw) at the first sign
> of a cold.  You will need to mix it with something to get it down.  It has
> a profound effect on the body but fair warning - no one will want to be
> near you for a couple of days after eating it.  You will stink.
>
> Good luck,
> John
>
> > On Nov 17, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 17/11/14 20:26, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>

> http://images.clipartpanda.com/handkerchief-clipart-smiley_face_with_a_cold_sneezing_into_handkerchief-1331px.png
> >>
> >> It started Thursday night and have gained a strong
> >> footing during all weekend... :-(
> >>
> >> Could we talk about proven and useful cold remedies
> >> from the place where you live?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Al
> >>

> > Take a lump of fresh ginger and grate it,
> >
> > the boil it up with chinese star aniseed, cardamon, cinnamon,
> > cloves and onions: if you want sweeten it with sugar or honey.
> >
> > Drink it.
> >
> > Richmond.

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Peter Haworth
Scotch, hot water, sugar cube.  Might not cure it but you won't care :-)

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> zinc lozenges with vitamin c. Don't overdose, but like zicam the zinc is
> supposed to help shorten the colds lifespan. Much more effective if you
> start them early though (also like zicam)  or.. um.. zicam.  (assuming
> viral not bacterial)  zinc lozenges are cheaper than zicam which is why I
> go that way.
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > My wife uses Richmond’s concoction to good effect.  I have beat many a
> > cold by eating a head or two of fresh minced garlic (raw) at the first
> sign
> > of a cold.  You will need to mix it with something to get it down.  It
> has
> > a profound effect on the body but fair warning - no one will want to be
> > near you for a couple of days after eating it.  You will stink.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > John
> >
> > > On Nov 17, 2014, at 10:50 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> http://images.clipartpanda.com/handkerchief-clipart-smiley_face_with_a_cold_sneezing_into_handkerchief-1331px.png

> > > Take a lump of fresh ginger and grate it,
> > >
> > > the boil it up with chinese star aniseed, cardamon, cinnamon,
> > > cloves and onions: if you want sweeten it with sugar or honey.
> > >
> > > Drink it.
> > >
> > > Richmond.

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Peter Alcibiades
Oil of Olbas.  Much better than Vicks.  You fill a large bowl with boiling water, put a towel over it, and drop the oil in every 30 seconds or so.  Breathing deeply through the nose.

Al

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Mac Bennett
Learned this one in County Clare.

Ingredients:  wedge of lemon, 6 to 8 cloves, teaspoon of brown sugar, Irish whiskey and boiling water.

Stick the sharp ends of the  cloves into the lemon wedge, and put in the glass with sugar and whiskey (to taste); leaving the spoon in the glass, pour boiling water into glass; stir.

Repeat as needed.

Re: [OT] Looking for proven and useful Cold remedies

Alejandro Tejada
Hi All,

Many Thanks for your recipes!

I will collect the ingredients and