OT: On-Rev cPanel (port 2083) access blocked by BT Smart Hub router?

OT: On-Rev cPanel (port 2083) access blocked by BT Smart Hub router?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi folks,
Apologies for OT thread - but I’m hoping there may be a UK-based fellow on-rev hosting user, with BT Broadband + Smart Hub, who can confirm whether any router tweaks are needed to access port 2083 (for on-rev cPanel), which seems to be blocked from any device on my home network (BT Broadband & Smart Hub)?

I’m no router/network expert but think it’s my router configuration, as:
I can reach the cPanel page using my phone’s mobile hotspot - i.e. avoiding my home router & ISP
The mothership’s hosting support team confirm that other on-rev users - and they themselves - are getting to cPanel OK via BT broadband services

Checking the Smart Hub router’s fairly limited settings (even in the ‘advanced’ area), there are no outbound blocking firewall settings in play and indeed, no outbound port management facility that I can find.

I even experimented with port-forwarding 2083 direct to my Mac but that didn’t work - not that I expect it to, as my understanding of port-forwarding is for inbound traffic anyway.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Keith

Re: OT: On-Rev cPanel (port 2083) access blocked by BT Smart Hub router?

On 07/27/2018 09:06 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Apologies for OT thread - but I’m hoping there may be a UK-based fellow on-rev hosting user, with BT Broadband + Smart Hub, who can confirm whether any router tweaks are needed to access port 2083 (for on-rev cPanel), which seems to be blocked from any device on my home network (BT Broadband & Smart Hub)?

Don't know if this will help, but apparently you're not alone in not
being able to access port 2083. If your router allows you to set proxy
subdomains then this might work.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/how-to-login-when-port-2083-is-blocked.553551/

Re: OT: On-Rev cPanel (port 2083) access blocked by BT Smart Hub router?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thanks Mark, I had found that thread but unfortunately that sits at the WHM server-level of cPanel to which only the mothership team have keys - for some reason we don’t get to play with server-wide config as on-rev shared hosting users ;-)

I doubt that on-rev support would be too keen to update server settings that could affect all users just because my router or ISP has blocked a port.

I’ll try a different router not supplied by my ISP, just in case they are restricting the router's menu.
Thanks
Keith

On 07/27/2018 09:58 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Mark, I had found that thread but unfortunately that sits at the WHM server-level of cPanel to which only the mothership team have keys - for some reason we don’t get to play with server-wide config as on-rev shared hosting users ;-)
>
> I doubt that on-rev support would be too keen to update server settings that could affect all users just because my router or ISP has blocked a port.
>
> I’ll try a different router not supplied by my ISP, just in case they are restricting the router's menu.

Yeah, I was afraid this would get down to cPanel configs.
If you've got a fancy router you could possibly write a rule to forward
port 443 to 2083 for the cPanel url only and that might have a chance of
working...