[OT] Phishing prevention

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
This seems important enough to spread around:

<https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/chrome-firefox-unicode-phishing/>

I use both Firefox and Thunderbird and have reconfigured both.

Re: [OT] Phishing prevention

On 04/14/2017 09:04 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> This seems important enough to spread around:
>
> <https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/chrome-firefox-unicode-phishing/>

Thanks for the alert.
The Punycode Alert extension for Chrome also catches these. Or warns
you, at any rate.

Re: [OT] Phishing prevention

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Thanks Jacque. This is why it is never one time too many to say: DON'T CLICK THE LINK IN THE EMAIL!!!!! Of course I clicked the link to get to your article, sooo... yeah.

Bob S

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 21:04 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This seems important enough to spread around:
>
> <https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/chrome-firefox-unicode-phishing/>
>
> I use both Firefox and Thunderbird and have reconfigured both.

Re: [OT] Phishing prevention

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I use different browsers for different things. I opened the link with a
browser that has everything turned off. No javascript, no cookies, no
images. Plus the link was posted to a trustworthy site in the first place
so I felt fairly safe. It didn't arrive in email.

On April 17, 2017 10:11:22 AM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jacque. This is why it is never one time too many to say: DON'T
> CLICK THE LINK IN THE EMAIL!!!!! Of course I clicked the link to get to
> your article, sooo... yeah.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Apr 14, 2017, at 21:04 , J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This seems important enough to spread around:
>>
>> <https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/04/chrome-firefox-unicode-phishing/>
>>
>> I use both Firefox and Thunderbird and have reconfigured both.

Re: [OT] Phishing prevention

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:26 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use different browsers for different things. I opened the link with a
> browser that has everything turned off. No javascript, no cookies, no
> images.

I got tipped off to slimjet, a chrome variant with the google spying
removed.

It allows me to have multiple "people" loaded at once in separate windows,
which is comparable to running simultaneous copies of firefox under
different profiles.

It seems to do much, much better at keeping hogs under control (such as
multiple gmail accounts).

In spite of it's docs and preferences, though, it does not seem to be
capable of using or storing OSX Keychain entries--and there's no way I'm
storing my passwords with google!

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462