OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Watching Levure videos, contemplating more collaborative coding, I
  found this.

  ITT 2016 - Kevlin Henney - Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many
  Programmers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHMHukIlJY

45 minutes long. If you need a break, it is both instructive and humorous

I often struggle with naming conventions.

This sheds so much light on the subject.

BR

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

On 10/09/2018 11:05 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

>    ITT 2016 - Kevlin Henney - Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many
>    Programmers
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHMHukIlJY

Kevlin Henney is always an entertaining speaker.

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Talking about best practices, would anyone here be interested in a
little online course about it?

best
andre

On 10/11/2018 11:57 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 10/09/2018 11:05 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
> wrote:
>
>>    ITT 2016 - Kevlin Henney - Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many
>>    Programmers
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHMHukIlJY
>
> Kevlin Henney is always an entertaining speaker.

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
We used to call those, "Runtime Revolution Conferences". :-)

Bob S

> On Oct 12, 2018, at 03:51 , Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Talking about best practices, would anyone here be interested in a little online course about it?
>
> best
> andre

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Bob,

I remember them fondly :-)

> We used to call those, "Runtime Revolution Conferences". :-)
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Oct 12, 2018, at 03:51 , Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Talking about best practices, would anyone here be interested in a little online course about it?
>>
>> best
>> andre

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Heather may still be looking for speakers for LC Global. Ask her, you'd
probably get good attendance.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On October 12, 2018 5:53:13 AM Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Talking about best practices, would anyone here be interested in a
> little online course about it?
>
> best
> andre
>
> On 10/11/2018 11:57 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 10/09/2018 11:05 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
>> wrote:
>>
>>>    ITT 2016 - Kevlin Henney - Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many
>>>    Programmers
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHMHukIlJY
>>
>> Kevlin Henney is always an entertaining speaker.

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Lol. Heather has already secured Andre for the last LiveCode Global day. So we should be in for a treat!

Best Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
LiveCode Ltd
www.livecode.com

> On 12 Oct 2018, at 16:52, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Heather may still be looking for speakers for LC Global. Ask her, you'd probably get good attendance.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On October 12, 2018 5:53:13 AM Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Talking about best practices, would anyone here be interested in a
>> little online course about it?
>>
>> best
>> andre
>>
>> On 10/11/2018 11:57 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

>>> Kevlin Henney is always an entertaining speaker.

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I should have known you'd be all over this, you hawkeye, you. :)

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

On 10/11/18 5:57 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 10/09/2018 11:05 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
>
>>    ITT 2016 - Kevlin Henney - Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many
>>    Programmers
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHMHukIlJY
>
> Kevlin Henney is always an entertaining speaker.

I watched some of this and he talked about a couple of my personal pet
peeeves. The first is excessive commenting, and while I'm all in favor
of commenting code, sometimes it tends to the ridiculous. I agree with
Henney's remark that good code is self-descriptive, and LC does that
better than anything else. I've seen 20 lines of comment above a 10-line
handler, sometimes set off in a fancy ascii rectangle. Each to his own,
I guess. It's mildly annoying but I can ignore it.

The one the bothers me more though is what he calls "LegoNaming." I
remember being irritated when MC introduced "blendLevel" because it was
too long to type quickly, and at the time was one of the longest entries
in the dictionary. I got over that pretty quick when we started to see
things like windowBoundingRect and fullScreenMode. But some of the new
commands and messages are approaching unusability because they are
impossible to remember and hard to type correctly, and usually require a
dictionary lookup/copy/paste. We've got iphoneGetNotificationBadgeValue
and AVPlayerItemFailedToPlayToEndTimeNotification. But the top entry in
this category is mergBLEPeripheralDiscoverDescriptorsForCharacteristic.
That's not a term, it's a sentence.

C'mon guys. I understand how descriptive, specific names that indicate
precise usage may be desirable, but if the term runs off the right edge
of the dictionary it's gone too far.

On 10/12/2018 11:12 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> That's not a term, it's a sentence.

So... time served only?

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
LOL, can't resist:

"*mergBLEPeripheralDidUpdateNotificationStateForCharacteristic'*

(rap music in background)

"They sentenced us to 60 char long!
But the term will only be served
by those brave enough to go
to the Kingdom of Peripheral UUID's."

BR

--
Svasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Get the SivaSiva app, it's free:
https://www.himalayanacademy.com/apps/sivasiva

--
Svasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Get the SivaSiva app, it's free:
https://www.himalayanacademy.com/apps/sivasiva

Re: OT: Seven Ineffective Coding Habits of Many Programmers

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
HI Andre,

Still waiting for your book - sent you at least 3 emails to be put on the
mail list. Also the course you were gonna do before I think about MVC in
livecode - is this all going to be rolled into this?

Regards Lagi

On 10/12/18 4:37 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 10/12/2018 11:12 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> That's not a term, it's a sentence.
>
> So... time served only?

That's reserved for bad punsters who must show remorse by writing
mergBLEPeripheralDiscoverDescriptorsForCharacteristic 100 times on the
blackboard.