[OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

John
This isn’t a LiveCode issue, but I thought it might effect others on the list.  After updating my Mac to Yosemite,it slowed down noticeably and became frustrating to use.  Granted my Mac is a bit long in the tooth (late 2009 27 inch iMac - lots of RAM and SSD with a second 2560X1440 monitor), but it has run really well up to now.  I tried everything I could find online (repairing the HD, PRAM reset, etc.) to no avail.  As turn out, the default in Yosemite is to treat the second monitor as a new “space”. This was the issue.  Using the Mission Control panel in System Preferences, I unticked “Displays have separate Spaces” and, after a restart for it to take effect, my computer is once again snappy.

Thanks,
John
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

Mike Bonner
Thanks for this.  I'm thinking of "upgrading" to Yosemite on my mac mini..
Are there any other gotchas I need to watch out for?  LC related
especially, but any pointers are welcome.  I'm also wondering if I can get
my 2nd mac to run Yosemite the roundabout way. (its a core 2 duo, white)
has anyone managed to install it on a machine that old?

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM, John Miskimins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This isn’t a LiveCode issue, but I thought it might effect others on the
> list.  After updating my Mac to Yosemite,it slowed down noticeably and
> became frustrating to use.  Granted my Mac is a bit long in the tooth (late
> 2009 27 inch iMac - lots of RAM and SSD with a second 2560X1440 monitor),
> but it has run really well up to now.  I tried everything I could find
> online (repairing the HD, PRAM reset, etc.) to no avail.  As turn out, the
> default in Yosemite is to treat the second monitor as a new “space”. This
> was the issue.  Using the Mission Control panel in System Preferences, I
> unticked “Displays have separate Spaces” and, after a restart for it to
> take effect, my computer is once again snappy.
>
> Thanks,
> John
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

John
I haven’t noticed any other issues with Yosemite as concerns LiveCode or any other app for that matter.  I have gone back and forth on some of the eye candy (turning on an off transparency and the like) but other than that, things are working well now that I have fixed the Spaces issue.

My machine has i5 processors/SSD and I have no idea if it will bog down on your Mac mini.  Wandering around the web, some people seem to be happy and others aren’t with your configuration and Yosemite. This is just a guess on my part so please take it for what it is worth, if you are running Mavericks Ok, my guess is it will run Yosemite Ok.  If your mini has a lot of “baggage" (cruft from years gone by), you may have to tune it up a bit (the activity monitor can be a great help).  All of that said, it is such a hassle to move to an older OS from a newer one, you might want to stay put.

As a side thought, can you boot the mini off an external drive?  If so, you can always try Yosemite before you commit.

My 2 cents,
John

 

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for this.  I'm thinking of "upgrading" to Yosemite on my mac mini..
> Are there any other gotchas I need to watch out for?  LC related
> especially, but any pointers are welcome.  I'm also wondering if I can get
> my 2nd mac to run Yosemite the roundabout way. (its a core 2 duo, white)
> has anyone managed to install it on a machine that old?
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM, John Miskimins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This isn’t a LiveCode issue, but I thought it might effect others on the
>> list.  After updating my Mac to Yosemite,it slowed down noticeably and
>> became frustrating to use.  Granted my Mac is a bit long in the tooth (late
>> 2009 27 inch iMac - lots of RAM and SSD with a second 2560X1440 monitor),
>> but it has run really well up to now.  I tried everything I could find
>> online (repairing the HD, PRAM reset, etc.) to no avail.  As turn out, the
>> default in Yosemite is to treat the second monitor as a new “space”. This
>> was the issue.  Using the Mission Control panel in System Preferences, I
>> unticked “Displays have separate Spaces” and, after a restart for it to
>> take effect, my computer is once again snappy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

Mike Bonner
First reply got nuked due to length, so here goes again.
Yeah, think i'll try the try before you buy method.  The machine itself
should be fast enough, its the i7 server model, plenty of memory, and 7200
rpm drives. The negative side?  A penchant for overheating since day one.
Early on I had to flip it upside down and pop the cover off to keep it
cool.  Since then i've found a solution that helps a little, but looks like
a Frankenstein monster. I removed a square of plastic from the base to
expose the metal portion of things and thermal bonded a heatpipe based heat
sink to the base metal.  It's still upside down, but runs as cool this way
as it did without the base attached.  On the days I push it hard, I blow
some air through the fins and mostly keep it below fry level of heat.
I also do all my video work on a different machine.  The mini is still
pretty great, but i'm surprised its still around.  (there was an
incarnation of lion that I had installed that liked to hang processes in
cpu lock.  100+c is NOT a good thing)

An image of the modified mini.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftslrqjydkzsgza/IMG_0193.JPG?dl=0
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

RogGuay
In reply to this post by Mike Bonner
Mike,

I am still trying to figure out why I get random screen flashes in all recent versions of LC since I upgraded to Yosemite. I seem to be the only one having this problem so it shouldn’t be of great concern to you. (BTW, these flashes occur randomly when using lock/unlock screen with visual effect.) Other than that, I’ve had no problems with Yosemite on my MacBook Pro Retina.

Cheers,
Roger


> On Jan 11, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Mike Bonner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for this.  I'm thinking of "upgrading" to Yosemite on my mac mini..
> Are there any other gotchas I need to watch out for?  LC related
> especially, but any pointers are welcome.  I'm also wondering if I can get
> my 2nd mac to run Yosemite the roundabout way. (its a core 2 duo, white)
> has anyone managed to install it on a machine that old?
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM, John Miskimins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This isn’t a LiveCode issue, but I thought it might effect others on the
>> list.  After updating my Mac to Yosemite,it slowed down noticeably and
>> became frustrating to use.  Granted my Mac is a bit long in the tooth (late
>> 2009 27 inch iMac - lots of RAM and SSD with a second 2560X1440 monitor),
>> but it has run really well up to now.  I tried everything I could find
>> online (repairing the HD, PRAM reset, etc.) to no avail.  As turn out, the
>> default in Yosemite is to treat the second monitor as a new “space”. This
>> was the issue.  Using the Mission Control panel in System Preferences, I
>> unticked “Displays have separate Spaces” and, after a restart for it to
>> take effect, my computer is once again snappy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

mwieder
In reply to this post by Mike Bonner
Mike-

Sunday, January 11, 2015, 2:54:03 PM, you wrote:

> An image of the modified mini.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftslrqjydkzsgza/IMG_0193.JPG?dl=0

LOL. How many channels can you get on that thing?

--
-Mark Wieder
 [hidden email]

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

Mike Bonner
32 channels, plus coded communications from white sands and 3 aliens soap
opera channels.  I especially like it when I intercept a communique to
Orson.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike-
>
> Sunday, January 11, 2015, 2:54:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> > An image of the modified mini.
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftslrqjydkzsgza/IMG_0193.JPG?dl=0
>
> LOL. How many channels can you get on that thing?
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]
>
> This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
> Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
> consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
> related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
> disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
> this communication in error, please delete it immediately.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

Kay C Lan
In reply to this post by John
Thanks for sharing. I've been putting off Yosemite because of all the
'slow' reports. I run two external monitors so this would have surely
bitten me. You may just have persuaded me to take the plunge. Are they up
to 10.10.2 yet? I use to wait until .1 was out, but these days that seems
to just address the initial deluge of complaints. .2 seems to be the first
real sorted version of OS X.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:29 AM, John Miskimins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This isn’t a LiveCode issue, but I thought it might effect others on the
> list.  After updating my Mac to Yosemite,it slowed down noticeably and
> became frustrating to use.  Granted my Mac is a bit long in the tooth (late
> 2009 27 inch iMac - lots of RAM and SSD with a second 2560X1440 monitor),
> but it has run really well up to now.  I tried everything I could find
> online (repairing the HD, PRAM reset, etc.) to no avail.  As turn out, the
> default in Yosemite is to treat the second monitor as a new “space”. This
> was the issue.  Using the Mission Control panel in System Preferences, I
> unticked “Displays have separate Spaces” and, after a restart for it to
> take effect, my computer is once again snappy.
>
> Thanks,
> John
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OT] Slow performance under Yosemite

AndyP
In reply to this post by John
Yosemite changed how the app package in the Applications directory can be accessed.

from the Script Editor Themer FAQ http://2108.co.uk/faq/#yosemeti

Q. I’m unable to install Script Editor Themer on Yosemite?

The release of Yosemite changed how the app package in the Applications directory can be accessed. Files in the Application directory cannot now be amended. At this time (03/01/2105) all of the LiveCode app package is installed in the Applications or sub Applications directory. This is an issue for all plugins that rely on being able to amend the LiveCode app files.

If the LiveCode app package is copied to outside the Applications directory then LiveCode files can be amended and Seth will install and run as expected.
Andy Piddock

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode