[OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Re: [OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > I think it might be quite unique amongst x-talks in another way too...
 >
 > How much of any of the others were written in themselves?

Not many.  Toolbook, Gain Momentum, and SuperCard are the only ones I
can think of beyond LC that had enough confidence in their tooling to
use it to make their tooling.

On 2018-08-06 21:49, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Mark Waddingham wrote:
>
>> I think it might be quite unique amongst x-talks in another way too...
>>
>> How much of any of the others were written in themselves?
>
> Not many.  Toolbook, Gain Momentum, and SuperCard are the only ones I
> can think of beyond LC that had enough confidence in their tooling to
> use it to make their tooling.

I couldn't remember whether SuperCard's IDE was written in SuperCard or
not, interesting to know. I must confess I've never really had any
experience with Toolbook or Gain Momentum... Although I think I digested
Toolbook's reference guide / dictionary at some point (by reading, not
by actually eating and digesting!).

In any case, looks like we have a bit more work to do before we can
truly claim we are unique amongst x-talks on that particular vector...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: [OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 3:18 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Although I think I digested Toolbook's reference guide / dictionary at some point (by reading, not by actually eating and digesting!).

An artist friend of mine attempted to _eat_ the Guiness Book of World Records. It proved to be infeasible. The attempt was recorded on an early Sony porta-pak and transferred (with difficulty) to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qceil955Rcw
Do not try this at home!
.Jerry

Re: [OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Huh. That's about the time I stopped using in it. I kept upgrading Supercard for years telling myself I would get back into it, but never really did. I was fully immersed in Foxpro at that point because my employer used SBT, which was written in Foxpro.

Bob S

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 11:26 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It isn't.  SuperCard is available exclusively for macOS.  There was an effort in the mid-90s to port to Windows, but funding dried up before it was completed so no useful version ever saw the light of day.
>
> Toolbook is also single-platform, Windows-only.

Re: [OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Wait we might be onto something here! Make programming reference materials out of edible paper, like the stuff they wrap japanese candy in. Then as you read each page, you eat it!

Bob S