[OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Chipp Walters
I purchased an Acer Iconia Tab Android 32GB tablet today which we will use
in working on the Android app for a client project. Even though it will
eventually be in Chris's hands, I am 'unboxing' it tonight before giving it
to him tomorrow. Yes, I also unwrap and play with my child's toys before
rewrapping and placing them under the Christmas tree - (at least the ones I
*really* like).

Couple of observations:

   - The screen is amazing. Much better and much higher resolution than my
   iPad2: Nvidia Tegra 2, 10.1-inch, 1280 x 800 WXGA screen with an aspect
   ratio of 16:10
   - First thing it did was notify me there was an update-- and that it
   would/could download it immediately and install it. Wow. Big difference from
   having to doc to iTunes, wait 45 minutes to sync, then say yes to install
   the update, wait another 30 minutes to download and install, then transfer
   back all the data etc. It all happens in much, MUCH less time than on an
   iPad. Hopefully, iOS 5 will be like this.
   - Absolute super touch screen. Same technology as Apple and the NVIDIA
   display response is just incredible. Never a wait on anything. Watching HD
   YouTube videos was amazing.
   - Launched the browser and there was a microphone next to search, so I
   clicked and spoke, "Acer Iconia Review" and it instantly recognized and
   provided the correct links. Sweet!
   - Went to the App store, and there were quite a few familiar apps there.
   I installed rdio, pandora, and a wallpaper-- except none of them installed.
   Turns out when you install an app, it's sorta like a Kindle where you have
   to "TELL" the Android App Store what device to "PUSH" the install to.
   Certainly not that transparent to first time users.
   - And speaking of first time users, I'm not sure everything is quite a
   simple and "just works" as iOS does. It will certainly be interesting to
   figure out how to provision for this device.

So far, I've been able to navigate around, but have quite a few questions.
Like, for instance, the Gmail browser client is worse than horrible. It's
not even as good as the iPad, but instead shows the iPhone mobile interface,
which pretty much sucks. While I'm sure there's a fix, I'm not sure where to
find it.

But, it does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like in that it has
many more settings and configuration options. Plus (big plus) it has both
micro and full USB slots for memory storage along with built in micro-HDMI.
Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher quality than
iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype, which would be huge.

The price was right, too. It was around $430 for a 32 GB WiFi version at
Costco. Supposedly there's a sister model with AT&T 3G/4G. That's
significantly less than the iPad2 32Gb WiFi which goes for around $600. It
will be interesting to see how well the Android can compete with regard to
decent apps.

--
Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Colin Holgate-2
A couple of things you say don't seem quite right, but I'll reply to those points tomorrow. Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB, so if you let it run down, as it did while I was away for a week, you have a device that can't be run. The power adapter isn't powerful enough to power the device if it's run down, so I'll have to leave it on charge over night to then be able to look at the things I want to comment on.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

J. Landman Gay
On 8/1/11 11:20 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
> Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB

My Archos didn't either, until I bought a USB charger cable for six
bucks on ebay. It works. You can't buy them in the U.S., they have to
come over from China, but it's worth the 10 day wait. I'm sorry I don't
have a link, but I'm sure a search would find it.

[OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Chipp Walters
I suspect, just like the iPad, it requires a larger and higher rated USB
transformer in order to work. I'm stunned at how unusable Gmail is from the
browser. I can't imagine this is anything close to the intended experience.
It takes SERIOUSLY many seconds for the typing to'catch up' and the cusor
isn't even close to he inteded position its supposed to be at. Andyou can
all but forget trying to position the cursor as its just about impossible to
get it right, (thus the many errors in this reply). I suspect there must be
some sort of Google sanctionedapp for all of this as it is completely
unusable in its current form.

On Monday, August 1, 2011, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A couple of things you say don't seem quite right, but I'll reply to those
points tomorrow. Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB, so if you
let it run down, as it did while I was away for a week, you have a device
that can't be run. The power adapter isn't powerful enough to power the
device if it's run down, so I'll have to leave it on charge over night to
then be able to look at the things I want to comment on.

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.

RE: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Lynn Fredricks-2
> But, it does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like
> in that it has many more settings and configuration options.
> Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for
> memory storage along with built in micro-HDMI.
> Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
> quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype,
> which would be huge.

Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if
there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive
wondered about. It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input devices
one already has.

Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet...

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Chipp Walters
Ok, sounds good, I'll check it out.
1 of the nice things about the keyboard is it has this microphone controls
wixom speaking into right now
Listen to everything exactly right. But columbia does school is going well.
I get that looks like I will not be using the microphone is that a bit my
boys text for now.

On Tuesday, August 2, 2011, Lynn Fredricks <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> But, it does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like
>> in that it has many more settings and configuration options.
>> Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for
>> memory storage along with built in micro-HDMI.
>> Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
>> quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype,
>> which would be huge.
>
> Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if
> there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive
> wondered about. It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input
devices

> one already has.
>
> Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Ruslan Zasukhin-2
On 8/2/11 8:59 AM, "Lynn Fredricks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> But, it does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like
>> in that it has many more settings and configuration options.
>> Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for
>> memory storage along with built in micro-HDMI.
>> Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
>> quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype,
>> which would be huge.
>
> Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if
> there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive
> wondered about. It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input devices
> one already has.
>
> Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet...

As for me  -- ipad is best of the best.
    2-3 heads ahead.

All this hardware "bonuses" cost nothing actually.
I never was need insert flash into iPad :) ... Why ?
Well, may be only if person have in home only ipad?
But ipad is not replacement to macbook, it is one more tool, which you
should have in home: TV, router, desktop, macbook, ipad, iphone :-)
Each device have own target.

--------
And only yesterday I have read one more article
Which describes how bad bad bad are sales of android tablets ...
They really cannot hump to level even of iPad1 technically.

IMO, if you love your father  -- buy for him at least iPad 1,
    At least used ...  Will be much more pleasure and use for person.
    Now iPad 1 can be found near to 200-300 in USA, right?

Btw, I also going present iPad to parents,
First of all because it allow easy and nice zoom text to read.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology
Paradigma Software, Inc

http://www.paradigmasoft.com

[I feel the need: the need for speed]

RE: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Chipp Walters-2
Hey Lynn,

I'm typing this from a standard USB keyboard which I just plugged into the
side of my Android.

And I can use a standard USB mouse to click the send button. Miraculously,
when you attach keyboard and a mouse, this thing turns into a PC. The
onscreen keyboard goes away and an arrow cursor appears, which you control
via the mouse just like expected. Pretty cool. iPad certainly can't do THAT.

Even so, I've checked the Android App Store and it's predictably pretty
lame. Why can't Google, with all the billions and billions, create some
killer Android Apps, like Apple does for iPad? There's really no good
PowerPoint clone that I can see, nor is there any decent sketch note taking
apps, for which there are a couple on iPad.

That said, it appears there's not enough money for devs for such apps, even
on the iPad. I've noticed the top 3 to 4 note apps on iPad have pretty much
ceased all development for quite some time now. And none of them are what I
would consider 'professional' apps. I guess you can't survive on charging a
buck ninety-nine per app. I suspect, I too, would quit free updates for my
customers after two or three trys.

Still a long way to go before this is all worked out.
On Aug 2, 2011 1:03 AM, "Lynn Fredricks" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> But, it does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like
>> in that it has many more settings and configuration options.
>> Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for
>> memory storage along with built in micro-HDMI.
>> Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
>> quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype,
>> which would be huge.
>
> Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if
> there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive
> wondered about. It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input
devices

> one already has.
>
> Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com
>
> Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Main Google
I think it can, if it's jailbroken.

Gerry

On 02/08/2011, at 4:35 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

>  iPad certainly can't do THAT.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Chipp Walters-2
After Apple bricked some jail-broke iPhones a couple years back, I don't
recommend to anyone to jailbreak Apple devices.
On Aug 2, 2011 1:45 AM, "Gerry Orkin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it can, if it's jailbroken.
>
> Gerry
>
> On 02/08/2011, at 4:35 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>> iPad certainly can't do THAT.

RE: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Lynn Fredricks-2
> That said, it appears there's not enough money for devs for
> such apps, even on the iPad. I've noticed the top 3 to 4 note
> apps on iPad have pretty much ceased all development for
> quite some time now. And none of them are what I would
> consider 'professional' apps. I guess you can't survive on
> charging a buck ninety-nine per app. I suspect, I too, would
> quit free updates for my customers after two or three trys.

There are a lot of single developers out there who, despite their education
never figured out how to do the math ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Colin Holgate-2
I had hoped that like the iPad it might charge over the fat USB cable, and I did eventually try that (surprising how hard it is to find a USB type A to type A lead), but it wouldn't charge.

I was wrong about the power adapter not being strong enough, I was using the wrong one! With the right one it powers ok while it charges, but it doesn't allow system updates until the battery is at 30% charge.

The main things Chipp said that seemed wrong was about the screen. I've seen colleagues who use their iPad at the default energy saving brightness, they just don't know how amazingly bright the iPad screen can be! I can imagine that if you compare that against the Acer that you might think the Acer was better, but the iPad at it's full brightness makes most Android screens look dull. The Acer isn't dull, but it isn't better than the iPad.

And the resolution isn't "much" better. The wide screen can be useful when playing Angry Birds Rio levels, but the actual DPI is only 149 versus 132. 132 is already fairly high, and unless I wear reading glasses and try to look for differences, I wouldn't describe the extra 12% as being that much better.

Playing Rio can get very choppy on the Acer, I'm curious whether the new system update will help that. I'm still only at 19% charge, so it won't let me do the update yet.

On Aug 2, 2011, at 12:30 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB
>
> My Archos didn't either, until I bought a USB charger cable for six bucks on ebay.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

I own an Acer Iconia and love it. I do not use gmail. I use the
built in email client with my email accounts. It works great. I am
experiencing NONE of the problems you have stated.

Mike

August 1, 2011, Colin Holgate wrote:

>> A couple of things you say
don't seem quite right, but I'll reply to those

> points tomorrow.
Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB, so if you
> let it run
down, as it did while I was away for a week, you have a device
> that
can't be run. The power adapter isn't powerful enough to power the

device if it's run down, so I'll have to leave it on charge over night
> then be able to look at the things I want to comment on.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2]
mailto:[hidden email]

RE: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

Keyboard works, mouse is coming (and may already work with the
newest update, which was promised). Other peripherals work fine.

Mike

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:59:49 -0700, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>> But, it
does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like in that it has many
more settings and configuration options. Plus (big plus) it has both
micro and full USB slots for memory storage along with built in
micro-HDMI. Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype, which would be
huge.

> Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice,
etc) to see if
> there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience?
That's something Ive
> wondered about. It would be nice to be able to
attach whatever input devices
> one already has.
>
> Ive been giving
thought to papa's first tablet...

> Best regards,
>
> Lynn
Fredricks

http://www.paradigmasoft.com [1]

> Valentina SQL Server: The
Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Database Server

Links:
------
[1] http://www.paradigmasoft.com
[2]
mailto:[hidden email]
[3]

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

I could not disagree more. I brother owns and Ipad 2. He and I were
having lunch and he noticed my hi-def, surround sound Acer Iconia (yes,
it has Dolby Surround). He also noticed the dual cams (one a 5
megapixel), the gps on board, the tactile touch and feel. I let him try
it. He was blown away by the responsiveness and quality of the build. It
is a solid, good looking and comfortable device.

Needless to say, he
bought one and gave his Ipad2 away to one of his employees. That says
EVERYTHING.

Mike

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:12:56 +0300, Ruslan Zasukhin
wrote:

> On 8/2/11 8:59 AM, "Lynn Fredricks" wrote:
>
>>> But, it
does seem to be more Windows like and less Mac like in that it has many
more settings and configuration options. Plus (big plus) it has both
micro and full USB slots for memory storage along with built in
micro-HDMI. Both front and rear facing cameras are significantly higher
quality than iPad2, and I'm praying they work with Skype, which would be
huge.
>> Chipp, have you tried plugging in random USB devices (mice,
etc) to see if there's any sort of plug-n-play/pray like experience?
That's something Ive wondered about. It would be nice to be able to
attach whatever input devices one already has. Ive been giving thought
to papa's first tablet...

> As for me -- ipad is best of the best.

2-3 heads ahead.

> All this hardware "bonuses" cost nothing
actually.
> I never was need insert flash into iPad :) ... Why ?
> Well,
may be only if person have in home only ipad?
> But ipad is not
replacement to macbook, it is one more tool, which you
> should have in
home: TV, router, desktop, macbook, ipad, iphone :-)
> Each device have
own target.

> --------
> And only yesterday I have read one more
article
> Which describes how bad bad bad are sales of android tablets
> They really cannot hump to level even of iPad1 technically.

IMO, if you love your father -- buy for him at least iPad 1,
> At least
used ... Will be much more pleasure and use for person.
> Now iPad 1 can
be found near to 200-300 in USA, right?

> Btw, I also going present
iPad to parents,
> First of all because it allow easy and nice zoom text
to read.

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Ruslan Zasukhin
> VP Engineering
and New Technology
> Paradigma Software, Inc
>
> Valentina - Joining
Worlds of Information
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com [2]
>
> [I feel
the need: the need for speed]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2]
http://www.paradigmasoft.com
[3]
mailto:[hidden email]
[4]

RE: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

I'll tell you why.

Unlike apple, which controls every facet of
app creation and takes a healthy cut of the profits AND charges to allow
you to become a developer AND makes it near impossible to publish
anything, Android and google have a more hands off approach.

Does this
mean the market is FLOODED with substandard apps - YEP. However, as
always, the cream rises to the top. There are FANTASTIC apps out there,
it's just that you have to wade through the crap to get to them.

This
begs the question, is control better or worse. The very nature of the
open source android development 3rd party realm dictates that there will
be more useless apps available - but it also means that more and more
people can try their hand at creating apps. The truly good ones will
surface.

If you want a better app experience, try amazon apps. It's a
free download and they give a free commercial app away every single day.
Yesterday they gave away Guitar Hero 5. Before that, it was a database
app. It is a MUCH better marketplace.

But that's the point. There is
not just one marketplace, there are HUNDREDS. Some great, some not so
great and some truly amazing.

Mike

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 01:35:31
-0500, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Hey Lynn,
>
> I'm typing this from a
standard USB keyboard which I just plugged into the
> side of my
Android.

> And I can use a standard USB mouse to click the send
button. Miraculously,
> when you attach keyboard and a mouse, this thing
turns into a PC. The
> onscreen keyboard goes away and an arrow cursor
appears, which you control
> via the mouse just like expected. Pretty
cool. iPad certainly can't do THAT.

> Even so, I've checked the
Android App Store and it's predictably pretty
> lame. Why can't Google,
with all the billions and billions, create some
> killer Android Apps,
like Apple does for iPad? There's really no good
> PowerPoint clone that
I can see, nor is there any decent sketch note taking
> apps, for which
there are a couple on iPad.

> That said, it appears there's not
enough money for devs for such apps, even
> on the iPad. I've noticed
the top 3 to 4 note apps on iPad have pretty much
> ceased all
development for quite some time now. And none of them are what I
> would
consider 'professional' apps. I guess you can't survive on charging a

buck ninety-nine per app. I suspect, I too, would quit free updates for
my
> customers after two or three trys.
>
> Still a long way to go
before this is all worked out.
> On Aug 2, 2011 1:03 AM, "Lynn
Fredricks"
> wrote:
>
>>> But, it does seem to be more Windows like
and less Mac like in that it has many more settings and configuration
options. Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for memory
storage along with built in micro-HDMI. Both front and rear facing
cameras are significantly higher quality than iPad2, and I'm praying
they work with Skype, which would be huge.
>> Chipp, have you tried
plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if there's any sort of
plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive wondered about.
It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input

> devices

one already has. Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet... Best
regards, Lynn Fredricks President Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com [1] Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast,
Royalty Free Database Server

href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubs
> age your subscription
preferences: http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode [4]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.paradigmasoft.com
[2]
mailto:[hidden email]
[3]
mailto:[hidden email]
[4]

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

We call that rooting round these parts. Be careful, it voids
warranty.

Mike

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:42:47 +1000, Gerry Orkin wrote:

> I think it can, if it's jailbroken.
>
> Gerry
>
> On 02/08/2011,
at 4:35 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

>> iPad certainly can't do THAT.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2]

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

Again, I disagree.

I bought all the angry birds apps, along with
tons of other games and the Nvidia Tegra dual core SHINES. Every kid
that has played it (I am a administrator at a camp this summer) LOVES
IT. They say it rivals their xbox 360 and playstation 3. The Ipad 2 is
good, but not THAT good. Sorry. No choppiness here. Check to see if
something is draining your memory. Get an app that saves battery and
automatically closes programs. What you may not know about the Iconia
(and hence most android 3.0 devices) is that it multithreads and all the
apps are still running. You have to shut them off to ensure a quality
experience.

Mike

wrote:

>>> Unfortunately the Acer doesn't charge over USB
>> My
Archos didn't either, until I bought a USB charger cable for six bucks
on ebay.

[2]

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]
[2]

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Colin Holgate-2
Have you then been able to plug the device into a high power USB 2 port, and it gains charge? That would be so useful, I wouldn't have to carry the power adapter around with me.

BTW, I have an app that quits all other apps, and I use that when testing performance. I'll try a session with Angry Birds Rio, now that it has Android 3.1 installed, see if that remains un-choppy.

On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Admin wrote:

>  It works great. I am
> experiencing NONE of the problems you have stated.

Re: [OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin-2

TBH, the battery lasts so long I really don't care about charging
it. It lasts 20 hours for me - so I can let it go for almost a week
before charging it. Then I put it on charge overnight and I wake up and
it's ready to go for another week.

Mike