[OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This may be of interest to some of you (old) HyperCard folks.

"ViperCard in an open source re-creation and re-imagination of 1987’s HyperCard.”  It runs in a web browser (not Safari, apparently but Firefox seemed to work well)

https://www.vipercard.net/

It is still version 0.2 but the paint tools, button, field and script window are working as you might expect. (Plus a lot of documentation!) I was amazed by what it could do and how closely it followed the old HyperCard look. ViperCard is the work of Ben Fisher, who I had the great pleasure of introducing to HyperCard back in the day… when he was 8 years old and a student in my third grade class.  Way cool!

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
office     1-800-615-0867

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Undoubtedly very clever, but I do wonder what the purpose of it is.

Richmond.

On 27/3/2018 8:36 am, scott--- via use-livecode wrote:

> This may be of interest to some of you (old) HyperCard folks.
>
> "ViperCard in an open source re-creation and re-imagination of 1987’s HyperCard.”  It runs in a web browser (not Safari, apparently but Firefox seemed to work well)
>
> https://www.vipercard.net/
>
> It is still version 0.2 but the paint tools, button, field and script window are working as you might expect. (Plus a lot of documentation!) I was amazed by what it could do and how closely it followed the old HyperCard look. ViperCard is the work of Ben Fisher, who I had the great pleasure of introducing to HyperCard back in the day… when he was 8 years old and a student in my third grade class.  Way cool!
>
> Scott Morrow
>
> Elementary Software
> (Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
> web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
> email     [hidden email]
> office     1-800-615-0867

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Could only see a black screen when opening in Safari on OS 10.9.

Craig Newman

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
It seems to fully work in Safari on Mac, but he hasn’t prevented the page scroll, so some things don’t work on iPad.

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Scott,

Tell us about it again once it is full color and not just B&W.

Thanks,

Rick

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 1:36 AM, scott--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This may be of interest to some of you (old) HyperCard folks.
>
> "ViperCard in an open source re-creation and re-imagination of 1987’s HyperCard.”  It runs in a web browser (not Safari, apparently but Firefox seemed to work well)
>
> https://www.vipercard.net/
>
> It is still version 0.2 but the paint tools, button, field and script window are working as you might expect. (Plus a lot of documentation!) I was amazed by what it could do and how closely it followed the old HyperCard look. ViperCard is the work of Ben Fisher, who I had the great pleasure of introducing to HyperCard back in the day… when he was 8 years old and a student in my third grade class.  Way cool!
>
> Scott Morrow

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

On 27 Mar 2018, at 14:28, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Tell us about it again once it is full color and not just B&W.

When he has the Colorizing HC XCMD simulated? ;)

But seriously, while I don't see a hard-nosed practical use for this it
is an astounding feat!

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Imagine showing someone this, then telling them there is a fully functional application development environment very much like it. Also, nostalgia comes to mind.

Bob S

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 01:28 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Undoubtedly very clever, but I do wonder what the purpose of it is.
>
> Richmond.

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
In Safari preferences you can say to show the Develop menu. In the Develop menu there are experimental features you can enable. I have most of those turned on.

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 8:59 AM, dunbarx via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could only see a black screen when opening in Safari on OS 10.9.
>
> Craig Newman

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Very cool! Playing with the paint features takes me back to my first Mac
encounter in 1984 with MacPaint: Draw a rect. Fill it with brick pattern.
Spray paint some graffiti on it. Virtual vandalism -- satisfying and
harmless.

Thanks for the link!

Tom B.

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
My first serious Hypercard app kept track of the last 24 months of responses and donations to a syndicated non-profit radio ministry to track which stations were generating responses/donations. Eventually I had it calculating a weighted formula based upon how much the station paid us or we paid them to air the program, along with responses and donations so we could determine where we were being the most effective against the money received/spent. I even had it cutting checks!

Bob S

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 09:18 , tbodine via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Very cool! Playing with the paint features takes me back to my first Mac
> encounter in 1984 with MacPaint: Draw a rect. Fill it with brick pattern.
> Spray paint some graffiti on it. Virtual vandalism -- satisfying and
> harmless.
>
> Thanks for the link!
>
> Tom B.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

On 03/27/2018 07:06 AM, Keith Martin via use-livecode wrote:

> But seriously, while I don't see a hard-nosed practical use for this it
> is an astounding feat!

Better yet, it appears that this may be the Ben Fisher who has been part
of the RR/LC community for a dozen or so years.

I donated and forked the code.

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hence my posting about an online version of LiveCode.

Richmond.

On 27/3/2018 4:28 pm, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Tell us about it again once it is full color and not just B&W.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 1:36 AM, scott--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This may be of interest to some of you (old) HyperCard folks.
>>
>> "ViperCard in an open source re-creation and re-imagination of 1987’s HyperCard.”  It runs in a web browser (not Safari, apparently but Firefox seemed to work well)
>>
>> https://www.vipercard.net/
>>
>> It is still version 0.2 but the paint tools, button, field and script window are working as you might expect. (Plus a lot of documentation!) I was amazed by what it could do and how closely it followed the old HyperCard look. ViperCard is the work of Ben Fisher, who I had the great pleasure of introducing to HyperCard back in the day… when he was 8 years old and a student in my third grade class.  Way cool!
>>
>> Scott Morrow

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Better yet, it appears that this may be the Ben Fisher who has been part of the RR/LC community for a dozen or so years.

He is that Ben Fisher  :- )

--
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That was a nice trip down memory lane.  However, I would rather have a modern online script editor for LiveCode where you write a script in one tab of Chrome/Safari/Firefox/Edge <favorite browser>, and execute/display it in another tab.  No installation of any IDE!

~Roger

________________________________

Eller, Roger wrote:

 > That was a nice trip down memory lane.  However, I would rather have
 > a modern online script editor for LiveCode where you write a script
 > in one tab of Chrome/Safari/Firefox/Edge <favorite browser>, and
 > execute/display it in another tab.  No installation of any IDE!

There was a discussion about that here recently:
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2018-March/245987.html

Scott McDonald once had a site to do that:
http://thelivecodelab.com/thelab.html

If one really wanted that it wouldn't be too hard to build. Scott's
version was more complete, with multiple user accounts and other nice
touches. But the simpler version you described could be done in an
afternoon.

Re: [OT] Web based HyperCard

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Interesting.   In his FAQ, Scott mentions B4X tools as a superior alternative to LiveCode for mobile development. It does look really nice.

~Roger