OT: WebOS resurfaces for the raspberry pi !!!

OT: WebOS resurfaces for the raspberry pi !!!

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
https://blog.adafruit.com/2018/03/23/lg-releases-webos-open-source-edition-optimized-for-raspberry-pi-3-raspberry_pi-piday-raspberrypi/

Qustion abut "the stackfiles"

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Folks:
I’m setting up an application with a splash stack and lots of other stacks and libraries that are loaded by the splash stack. I am using “the stackfiles” of the splash stack to get the relative paths of the various stacks in the resources folder. I’m on LC 9.0.0(rc2), on Mac OS 10.12.3

What I’m wondering is if there are any “gotchas” with using this method to get the relative paths to the various resource stacks. It seems like this may be the easiest way to adjust paths for the various deployment targets.

Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Qustion abut "the stackfiles"

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This is the prescribed way to do this in a splash stack scenario. The Splash Stack becomes your executable, and all the other stacks, including the *actual* application stack end up in the right place as editable stacks. (The Executable stack is not editable so you cannot set properties that stick from session to session, or save the stacks state.)

Bob S

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 14:13 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Folks:
> I’m setting up an application with a splash stack and lots of other stacks and libraries that are loaded by the splash stack. I am using “the stackfiles” of the splash stack to get the relative paths of the various stacks in the resources folder. I’m on LC 9.0.0(rc2), on Mac OS 10.12.3
>
> What I’m wondering is if there are any “gotchas” with using this method to get the relative paths to the various resource stacks. It seems like this may be the easiest way to adjust paths for the various deployment targets.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero

Re: Qustion abut "the stackfiles"

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
You the splash get "messed-up" from occasional resave.

Don't tell me how, but occasionally the path (which should be relative) becomes absolute

lib_calendar   libraries/lib_calendar.livecodescript  #which it should be

becomes

lib_calendary   /users/brahma/documents/myapp/libraries/lib_calendar.livecodescript

plus you are changing files from time to time, so the stackfiles is obsolete.

We fixed this by starting with json files, which then sets the splash stackFiles on stack start up

On 3/27/18, 11:13 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Folks:
    I’m setting up an application with a splash stack and lots of other stacks and libraries that are loaded by the splash stack. I am using “the stackfiles” of the splash stack to get the relative paths of the various stacks in the resources folder. I’m on LC 9.0.0(rc2), on Mac OS 10.12.3

    What I’m wondering is if there are any “gotchas” with using this method to get the relative paths to the various resource stacks. It seems like this may be the easiest way to adjust paths for the various deployment targets.

    Best,
    Bill

Re: Qustion abut "the stackfiles"

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Do you mean you store the stackfiles in a database, then load the locations with the splash screen?
Bill

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 2:52 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You the splash get "messed-up" from occasional resave.
>
> Don't tell me how, but occasionally the path (which should be relative) becomes absolute
>
> lib_calendar   libraries/lib_calendar.livecodescript  #which it should be
>
> becomes
>
> lib_calendary   /users/brahma/documents/myapp/libraries/lib_calendar.livecodescript
>
> plus you are changing files from time to time, so the stackfiles is obsolete.
>
> We fixed this by starting with json files, which then sets the splash stackFiles on stack start up
>
> On 3/27/18, 11:13 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Folks:
>    I’m setting up an application with a splash stack and lots of other stacks and libraries that are loaded by the splash stack. I am using “the stackfiles” of the splash stack to get the relative paths of the various stacks in the resources folder. I’m on LC 9.0.0(rc2), on Mac OS 10.12.3
>
>    What I’m wondering is if there are any “gotchas” with using this method to get the relative paths to the various resource stacks. It seems like this may be the easiest way to adjust paths for the various deployment targets.
>
>    Best,
>    Bill

Re: Qustion abut "the stackfiles"

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
This doesn't matter as the stack files are saved in a place in the standalone where the executable knows where to find them. What the paths are prior to that, relative or absolute, has no effect on the executable.

Bob S