[OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Randy Hengst
Hi All,

I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.

I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>

Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?

Thanks for any thoughts.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
Hi,

i can recommend RapidWeaver from Realmac Software (https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/ <https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/>)
There´s even a trial version available for download.

There are a lot of free and paid 3rd party extensions, themes and stacks* available for RW.

*to use stacks you will need to purchase the Stacks plugin from YourHead (http://yourhead.com <http://yourhead.com/>).
There´s also a trial version available.

I´ve created quite a lot of sites with it. I can send you the url of some sites i´ve created. So you can see what can be done with it.
Send me a private mail if you are interested. I do not want to post them to the public.

Regards,
Matthias

> Am 17.10.2016 um 13:29 schrieb Randy Hengst <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.
>
> I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html> <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>>
>
> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>

> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com <http://www.classroomfocusedsoftware.com/>

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Jim Kanter
Another vote for Rapidweaver, but the extras do add up.

Coffeecup Software also has some excellent tools.

Freeway is oriented more to graphic designers and can be a little
clumsy compared to more modern tools like Rapidweaver.

Macaw is no  more.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Matthias Rebbe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i can recommend RapidWeaver from Realmac Software (https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/ <https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/>)
> There´s even a trial version available for download.
>
> There are a lot of free and paid 3rd party extensions, themes and stacks* available for RW.
>
> *to use stacks you will need to purchase the Stacks plugin from YourHead (http://yourhead.com <http://yourhead.com/>).
> There´s also a trial version available.
>
> I´ve created quite a lot of sites with it. I can send you the url of some sites i´ve created. So you can see what can be done with it.
> Send me a private mail if you are interested. I do not want to post them to the public.
>

> Regards,
> Matthias
>

>> Am 17.10.2016 um 13:29 schrieb Randy Hengst <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.
>>
>> I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html> <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>>
>>
>> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>

>> be well,
>> randy
>>
>> Randy Hengst
>> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com <http://www.classroomfocusedsoftware.com/>

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Randy Hengst
I had heard that the costs for using RapidWeaver will increase because of the “options.”

I hadn’t seen the Coffeecup Software option. I’ll check it out.

Thank you, Jim.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Jim Kanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another vote for Rapidweaver, but the extras do add up.
>
> Coffeecup Software also has some excellent tools.
>
> Freeway is oriented more to graphic designers and can be a little
> clumsy compared to more modern tools like Rapidweaver.
>
> Macaw is no  more.
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Matthias Rebbe
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i can recommend RapidWeaver from Realmac Software (https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/ <https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/>)
>> There´s even a trial version available for download.
>>
>> There are a lot of free and paid 3rd party extensions, themes and stacks* available for RW.
>>
>> *to use stacks you will need to purchase the Stacks plugin from YourHead (http://yourhead.com <http://yourhead.com/>).
>> There´s also a trial version available.
>>
>> I´ve created quite a lot of sites with it. I can send you the url of some sites i´ve created. So you can see what can be done with it.
>> Send me a private mail if you are interested. I do not want to post them to the public.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Matthias
>>

>>> Am 17.10.2016 um 13:29 schrieb Randy Hengst <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.
>>>
>>> I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html> <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>>
>>>
>>> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>

>>> be well,
>>> randy
>>>
>>> Randy Hengst
>>> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com <http://www.classroomfocusedsoftware.com/>

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Keith Clarke-2
I used RapidWeaver for years and still maintain a couple of sites with it. However, I haven’t taken up the most recent updates (to core, stacks and add-ons) as most sites I created with it have since migrated to Wordpress, which IMHO (and like it or loath it) is probably the de facto tool for point & click sites now.
Best,
Keith..

> On 17 Oct 2016, at 13:09, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had heard that the costs for using RapidWeaver will increase because of the “options.”
>
> I hadn’t seen the Coffeecup Software option. I’ll check it out.
>
> Thank you, Jim.
>
> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com
>

>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Jim Kanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another vote for Rapidweaver, but the extras do add up.
>>
>> Coffeecup Software also has some excellent tools.
>>
>> Freeway is oriented more to graphic designers and can be a little
>> clumsy compared to more modern tools like Rapidweaver.
>>
>> Macaw is no  more.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Matthias Rebbe
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i can recommend RapidWeaver from Realmac Software (https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/ <https://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/>)
>>> There´s even a trial version available for download.
>>>
>>> There are a lot of free and paid 3rd party extensions, themes and stacks* available for RW.
>>>
>>> *to use stacks you will need to purchase the Stacks plugin from YourHead (http://yourhead.com <http://yourhead.com/>).
>>> There´s also a trial version available.
>>>
>>> I´ve created quite a lot of sites with it. I can send you the url of some sites i´ve created. So you can see what can be done with it.
>>> Send me a private mail if you are interested. I do not want to post them to the public.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Matthias

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Randy Hengst
Thank you, Keith.

I have to admit that because of my very limited knowledge in this area I had skipped Wordpress. My understanding was that it was software for “blog” building. However, given your comment, I’ll check it out.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I used RapidWeaver for years and still maintain a couple of sites with it. However, I haven’t taken up the most recent updates (to core, stacks and add-ons) as most sites I created with it have since migrated to Wordpress, which IMHO (and like it or loath it) is probably the de facto tool for point & click sites now.
> Best,
> Keith..
>
>> On 17 Oct 2016, at 13:09, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I had heard that the costs for using RapidWeaver will increase because of the “options.”
>>
>> I hadn’t seen the Coffeecup Software option. I’ll check it out.
>>
>> Thank you, Jim.
>>
>> be well,
>> randy
>>
>> Randy Hengst
>> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com
>>

>>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Jim Kanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another vote for Rapidweaver, but the extras do add up.
>>>
>>> Coffeecup Software also has some excellent tools.
>>>
>>> Freeway is oriented more to graphic designers and can be a little
>>> clumsy compared to more modern tools like Rapidweaver.
>>>
>>> Macaw is no  more.

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Keith Clarke-2
Wordpress started as a blogging platform but support for regular pages is very good, as is it’s forums, should you get stuck. There are a fair few sites in the Wordpress showcase that illustrate its breadth and depth https://wordpress.org/showcase/ <https://wordpress.org/showcase/>

It does need a database, but a lot of hosting providers use automated tools to enable Wordpress to be installed & configured with a few clicks. Indeed, if you have an on-rev account, you can add Wordpress to your primary on-rev domain or any addon domains using softaculous from C-Panel.

BTW if you want to take a more DIY approach, I use Coda when hand-made pages are required https://panic.com/coda/ <https://panic.com/coda/>
Good luck with your quest.
Best,
Keith..

> On 17 Oct 2016, at 13:23, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, Keith.
>
> I have to admit that because of my very limited knowledge in this area I had skipped Wordpress. My understanding was that it was software for “blog” building. However, given your comment, I’ll check it out.
>
> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com
>

>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I used RapidWeaver for years and still maintain a couple of sites with it. However, I haven’t taken up the most recent updates (to core, stacks and add-ons) as most sites I created with it have since migrated to Wordpress, which IMHO (and like it or loath it) is probably the de facto tool for point & click sites now.
>> Best,
>> Keith..
>>
>>> On 17 Oct 2016, at 13:09, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had heard that the costs for using RapidWeaver will increase because of the “options.”
>>>
>>> I hadn’t seen the Coffeecup Software option. I’ll check it out.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Jim.
>>>
>>> be well,
>>> randy
>>>
>>> Randy Hengst
>>> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
One problem i see with WordPress is, that its popularity make it a popular target for hackers.

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

> Am 17.10.2016 um 14:23 schrieb Randy Hengst <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thank you, Keith.
>
> I have to admit that because of my very limited knowledge in this area I had skipped Wordpress. My understanding was that it was software for “blog” building. However, given your comment, I’ll check it out.
>
> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com
>

>> On Oct 17, 2016, at 7:17 AM, Keith Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I used RapidWeaver for years and still maintain a couple of sites with it. However, I haven’t taken up the most recent updates (to core, stacks and add-ons) as most sites I created with it have since migrated to Wordpress, which IMHO (and like it or loath it) is probably the de facto tool for point & click sites now.
>> Best,
>> Keith..
>>
>>> On 17 Oct 2016, at 13:09, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had heard that the costs for using RapidWeaver will increase because of the “options.”
>>>
>>> I hadn’t seen the Coffeecup Software option. I’ll check it out.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Jim.
>>>
>>> be well,
>>> randy
>>>
>>> Randy Hengst
>>> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Jim L.
Hi Randy,

I recommend Karelia Software Sandvox 2.  It’s easy to learn with lots of help info.  It’s easy to switch between templates.  I’ve been able to add to and maintain 2 websites with many pages of content.  See the Macworld review.

Best,

Jim Little
www.globalwarmingapps.org
www.eatingforahealthyplanet.org

Matthias Rebbe wrote:

 > One problem i see with WordPress is, that its popularity make it a
 > popular target for hackers.

Any sufficiently popular system will be *targeted* by hackers.  The
question is: how many result in a successful exploit?

Aiming for a target and actually hitting it are usually very different
metrics.

I subscribe to a few security newsletters (I've found O'Reilly's
particularly worthwhile), and CVEs against WP seem reasonably rare the
days, with quickly deployed updates to counter them.  I see CVEs against
every OS far more regularly.  While there was a spate of PHP issues just
after the turn of the century, in recent years we don't even see much
there, probably far fewer than for JavaScript which affects many more
people (every web browser).

Popularity may guide hacks, but with WP it's also a very strong plus:
the ecosystem of plugins and themes is vast.  And even on the security
side, its popularity is useful by providing more eyeballs reviewing and
fixing code.

Overall, I'd say WP is no less safe than just about any alternative,
provided you do the basic stuff any system requires:  automate security
updates, use only the latest release version, use strong and unique
passwords, always use HTTPS (Let's Encypt now makes that both free and
automatable), etc.

Ass we've seen with most exploits, those involving WP sites were usually
running outdated versions, or had weak passwords, or some other
easily-avoidable weakness unrelated to the system itself.

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

pink
I would toss in another vote for Rapidweaver.

It is frequently included in bundles on sites like StackSocial and Bundlehunt, and goes on sale occasionally... so unless you need it immediately, you can get it cheap if you give it some time.

To get the most out of Rapidweaver, I highly recommend you get Stacks which is a third party plugin that costs extra, and of course the stacks can cost money as well.

The extra costs for stacks can add up, but there are so many great options. Again, if you've got patience, you can find great bundle deals. Doobox has a great selection, and they frequently offer very cheap bundles.
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Jeff Reynolds-3
This is sooo true with Wordpress. So many hackbots out there going at every wp site they can find to punch at all known security holes (hosting companies and individuals don't always keep up wp security patches). Folks think hackers won't care about my puny site, but usually they are looking to get onto servers... A couple friends have been wp designers/developers for a long time and spend a lot of time and money on client's wp security issues.

Cheers,

Jeff

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:39 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> One problem i see with WordPress is, that its popularity make it a popular target for hackers.

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Richmond Mathewson-2
http://kompozer.net

Richmond.

On 17.10.2016 14:29, Randy Hengst wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.
>
> I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>
>
> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>

> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Marc Siskin
Richmond,

Kompozer is not currently being updated and it won’t run on macOS 10.12 due to security settings.  The replacement application I have found for Kompozer is called BlueGriffon which is available at http://bluegriffon.org/. It is cross-platform and the “unlicensed” version is fairly complete.  The license is €70 and its worth is up to you.

Marc Siskin

On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

---------------
Marc Siskin
Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
Carnegie Mellon University
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Todd Fabacher
I can tell you #1 way to protect your site, is to change the wp-admin to
something else. it cut our attacks by 99%.

I plan on going over WP for the second webinar on WP REST API. Richard is
correct, WP is only as good as your setup.

But WP with the LiveCode WP REST API is a great solution. Take a look.

--Todd

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Richmond Mathewson-2
I've played with Blue Griffon as well, but as I use Kompozer on a G5 Mac
running Mac OS 10.5
this is not an issue with me.

Also: if you bother to take a look you'll see that my website was
updated about 4 years ago :)

Richmond.

On 17.10.2016 19:56, Marc Siskin wrote:

> Richmond,
>
> Kompozer is not currently being updated and it won’t run on macOS 10.12 due to security settings.  The replacement application I have found for Kompozer is called BlueGriffon which is available at http://bluegriffon.org/. It is cross-platform and the “unlicensed” version is fairly complete.  The license is €70 and its worth is up to you.
>
> Marc Siskin
>
> On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> http://kompozer.net
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 17.10.2016 14:29, Randy Hengst wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’ve begun exploring maintaining my website myself. I’ve not messed with HTML for 20+ years.
>
> I’m looking for a “construction set” for getting this going and have found a review of several software options here:  http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html <http://www.macworld.com/article/2984967/software-web/web-design-review-roundup-our-favorite-mac-apps-for-building-a-website.html>
>
> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>

> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst
> www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> ---------------
> Marc Siskin
> Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
> Carnegie Mellon University
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Stephen Barncard-4
Hi Randy,

I don't know about the appropriateness of 'total novice' as I don't think
you meant that about your Livecode chops.
 I've seen you here for years.

Have you checked out the all - livecode web framework?

REVIGNITER <http://revigniter.com>

the above web site is the app running.

it's a Model-View-Controller web application framework written entirely in
Livecode.

a OSS gift to the Livecode community from list member Ralf Bitter.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Randy Hengst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anyone using a software package they can recommend to a total novice?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>

> be well,
> randy
>
> Randy Hengst

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Stephen Barncard-4
the Script kiddies made a mess of a few of my Wordpress sites a couple of
years ago, however WP today has been getting updates almost bi-monthly and
they finally cleaned up the media mess and provided built-in tools for rich
text, media uploads, slideshows (finally) and advanced content formatting
in posts.
I'm very impressed with how solid it is today and the installation couldn't
be easier. One does have to remember that is always going to want to be a
blog, and there are some flows one may have to put together in a php page
one's self.  One can't argue about the resources available for this app.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I subscribe to a few security newsletters (I've found O'Reilly's
> particularly worthwhile), and CVEs against WP seem reasonably rare the
> days, with quickly deployed updates to counter them.  I see CVEs against
> every OS far more regularly.  While there was a spate of PHP issues just
> after the turn of the century, in

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac

Randy Hengst
All,

This has been very interesting and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 2:21 PM, stephen barncard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> the Script kiddies made a mess of a few of my Wordpress sites a couple of
> years ago, however WP today has been getting updates almost bi-monthly and
> they finally cleaned up the media mess and provided built-in tools for rich
> text, media uploads, slideshows (finally) and advanced content formatting
> in posts.
> I'm very impressed with how solid it is today and the installation couldn't
> be easier. One does have to remember that is always going to want to be a
> blog, and there are some flows one may have to put together in a php page
> one's self.  One can't argue about the resources available for this app.
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I subscribe to a few security newsletters (I've found O'Reilly's
>> particularly worthwhile), and CVEs against WP seem reasonably rare the
>> days, with quickly deployed updates to counter them.  I see CVEs against
>> every OS far more regularly.  While there was a spate of PHP issues just
>> after the turn of the century, in
>

> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

RE: [OT] Website Design Apps-Mac