OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Hi,

so this goes to the Linux experts on this list.

I have here an old Asus EeePC 1000H which currently runs with Windows XP and which is not used very often.
It has an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB ram and a 160GB harddisk.

What Linux OS do you recommend for this machine? Best would be, if it could be used also with Livecode.
I am planning to give it away to someone here in the neighbourhood who just want to use it for some writing and “Livecoding”.

What do you think?

Regards,
Matthias
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
On 01/22/2018 04:31 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so this goes to the Linux experts on this list.
>
> I have here an old Asus EeePC 1000H which currently runs with Windows XP and which is not used very often.
> It has an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB ram and a 160GB harddisk.
>
> What Linux OS do you recommend for this machine? Best would be, if it could be used also with Livecode.
> I am planning to give it away to someone here in the neighbourhood who just want to use it for some writing and “Livecoding”.
>
> What do you think?

This is one of those religious questions.
Far be it from me to consider myself an 'expert', but...

The liner notes list four flavors of linux that are 'officially'
supported. If you want to stay the most compatible with LiveCode I'd
recommend going with Ubuntu 16 LTS. I supported Fedora at work until
Gnome3 came along and messed up the desktop. I had some hiccups with
LiveCode and Debian, which finally got resolved to a glibc version
issue. But ask any three linux users and you'll get half a dozen
different answers.

Be prepared to do some handholding. LiveCode and linux have a platonic
relationship.

--
  Mark Wieder
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Matthias Rebbe wrote:

 > I have here an old Asus EeePC 1000H which currently runs with Windows
 > XP and which is not used very often.
 > It has an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB ram and a 160GB harddisk.
 >
 > What Linux OS do you recommend for this machine? Best would be, if it
 > could be used also with Livecode.

I like Ubuntu, and as the leading desktop Linux it's a good choice for
the wide range of support materials available.

But the Atom N270 isn't exactly new, and it wasn't a serious workhorse
when it premiered in '08.  I like the chip, and have a nettop in my
office still running with it even now; it collates and processes the
feeds shown in LiveNet (among many other things, including being one of
my Nextcloud servers, remote backup manager, occasional UI stress
tester, and more).

Old machines can be very useful, esp. with a power-miser chip like the
Atom line.  But you'll want to consider relative performance when
choosing a distro, looking for one with minimal graphics requirements
and not very taxing on the CPU.

I did a lot of reading about low-resource Linux distros a while back
when I first converted my N270 box from Windows to Linux, and again a
couple years ago.

Bottom line: Lubuntu.

It's a lightweight flavor of Ubuntu designed specifically for modest
hardware.  It uses a very lean window manager and desktop environment
that's more Windows-like than Ubuntu's Unity UI may be consider
Mac-like, but it's quite usable and very stable.

There's also Xubuntu, and outside of Ubuntu derivatives many others.
But few can match Lubuntu's lean system requirements.

And it comes with an extra bonus for LiveCode folks: Both Alejandro and
myself are experienced using LiveCode in Lubuntu, so if you run into any
snags you have at least two more sources of support. :)

Have fun.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I run Xubuntu 16.04 on machines with significantly lower specifications
with no trouble at all.

Richmond.

On 23/1/2018 2:31 am, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so this goes to the Linux experts on this list.
>
> I have here an old Asus EeePC 1000H which currently runs with Windows XP and which is not used very often.
> It has an Intel Atom N270 CPU, 1GB ram and a 160GB harddisk.
>
> What Linux OS do you recommend for this machine? Best would be, if it could be used also with Livecode.
> I am planning to give it away to someone here in the neighbourhood who just want to use it for some writing and “Livecoding”.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Matthias,

sometimes I use a nearly identical netbook (for example when there is not enough
space for a modern laptop).

I had installed Lubuntu for several months. That *OS* is optimally suited for such
a netbook. But I removed it. Why?

The problem is LiveCode: The Linux version of LiveCode has essential bugs or missing
features (browser widget, video, sound). So I would recommend to install Windows 7
(and the Firefox browser).

I did it. Now LiveCode is working as it should.

Hermann

p.s. Lubuntu is also a good OS for Raspi 2/3 (running LiveCode 6.5.1 - raspi edition)
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
That only is of value IFF you care about what the Linux version of
LiveCode is missing.

AND more people should be badgering LiveCode to get their Linux version
up to par.

Richmond.

On 23/1/2018 12:39 pm, hh via use-livecode wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> sometimes I use a nearly identical netbook (for example when there is not enough
> space for a modern laptop).
>
> I had installed Lubuntu for several months. That *OS* is optimally suited for such
> a netbook. But I removed it. Why?
>
> The problem is LiveCode: The Linux version of LiveCode has essential bugs or missing
> features (browser widget, video, sound). So I would recommend to install Windows 7
> (and the Firefox browser).
>
> I did it. Now LiveCode is working as it should.
>
> Hermann
>
> p.s. Lubuntu is also a good OS for Raspi 2/3 (running LiveCode 6.5.1 - raspi edition)
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.

My first try now was Lubuntu 17.10.1, Installation was quick and easy, but unfortunately there seems to be a bug in it which affects my graphic card
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639>

Problem is that after startup 80% of the screen are shown black. I need to hibernate the system and wake it up again to get the whole screen shown.

In a next step and when i have again some spare time i will try 16.04, if this is also not working then i will again “say good bye” to Linux as i did already some years ago and will move on with Mac OS X and Windows.
At least for some time.  Linux and me - some kind of a love-hate. ;)

Matthias

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
If you can switch to the 4.15 kernel the screen issue may be fixed,
alternatively..
If you can get to a terminal screen with lubuntu, it looks like you can do
the following to fix the display problem.. (works for some, not all it
seems)

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Simple editor 'nano' will open.
Add line
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
at the end of file.

Save file and exit from nano.

issue command:

sudo update-grub

reboot.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.
>
> My first try now was Lubuntu 17.10.1, Installation was quick and easy, but
> unfortunately there seems to be a bug in it which affects my graphic card
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639>
>
> Problem is that after startup 80% of the screen are shown black. I need to
> hibernate the system and wake it up again to get the whole screen shown.
>
> In a next step and when i have again some spare time i will try 16.04, if
> this is also not working then i will again “say good bye” to Linux as i did
> already some years ago and will move on with Mac OS X and Windows.
> At least for some time.  Linux and me - some kind of a love-hate. ;)
>
> Matthias
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
adding that line to grub fixed it. Thanks for that.

Matthias


> Am 23.01.2018 um 15:08 schrieb Mike Bonner via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> If you can switch to the 4.15 kernel the screen issue may be fixed,
> alternatively..
> If you can get to a terminal screen with lubuntu, it looks like you can do
> the following to fix the display problem.. (works for some, not all it
> seems)
>
> sudo nano /etc/default/grub
>
> Simple editor 'nano' will open.
> Add line
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
> at the end of file.
>
> Save file and exit from nano.
>
> issue command:
>
> sudo update-grub
>
> reboot.
>
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.
>>
>> My first try now was Lubuntu 17.10.1, Installation was quick and easy, but
>> unfortunately there seems to be a bug in it which affects my graphic card
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639> <
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639>>
>>
>> Problem is that after startup 80% of the screen are shown black. I need to
>> hibernate the system and wake it up again to get the whole screen shown.
>>
>> In a next step and when i have again some spare time i will try 16.04, if
>> this is also not working then i will again “say good bye” to Linux as i did
>> already some years ago and will move on with Mac OS X and Windows.
>> At least for some time.  Linux and me - some kind of a love-hate. ;)
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Hah! I always say, ask 5 psychiatrists and you'll get 10 different opinions. :-)

Bob S


> On Jan 22, 2018, at 18:07 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But ask any three linux users and you'll get half a dozen different answers.


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> R.M. wrote:
> That [these issues] only is of value IFF you care about what the
> Linux version of LiveCode is missing.
> AND more people should be badgering LiveCode to get their Linux
> version up to par.

The people using LiveCode with Linux I know (also seen from all the
responses here) have special characteristics

= they have a high level of scripting abilities
= they are also interested in other OSes
= they are passionate lovers of LiveCode
= they are able to use LiveCode in agony without crying.

I use Lubuntu/Xubuntu on my Raspis and have moreover my fastest
machine running with Mint-Cinnamon.
But I work with LiveCode only on Mac or Win. Whenever I make a widget
or use widgets I try for several hours to arrive at workarounds for
the linux version. Only that is a lot of pain -- the upper limit for me.

>> hh wrote:
>> [netbook] ... The problem is LiveCode: The Linux version of LiveCode
>> has essential bugs or missing features (browser widget, video, sound).
>> So I would recommend to install Windows 7 (and the Firefox browser).
>> I did it. Now LiveCode is working as it should.

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
hh wrote:

 > I use Lubuntu/Xubuntu on my Raspis and have moreover my fastest
 > machine running with Mint-Cinnamon.
 > But I work with LiveCode only on Mac or Win. Whenever I make a widget
 > or use widgets I try for several hours to arrive at workarounds for
 > the linux version. Only that is a lot of pain -- the upper limit for
 > me.

That sounds painful.  What do those widgets do?

I use LC daily on Ubuntu, occasionally dipping into macOS or Windows
depending on what I'm working on.  The browser widget has gone though
several iterations that have been hit-and-miss (current miss in v9 but
anticipated to be resolved before Stable), and audio and video playback
have gotten so progressively worse since that last worked in MetaCard as
to be currently unusable (though the funded Player revision will
presumably address that when the Linux version catches up with the Mac
and Win versions that are already done).

But in my own experience those are the only two areas I've experienced
limitations with LC on Linux. Pretty much everything else I can think of
works well here.

It would be helpful to know where you're encountering issue so we can
help steward those bug reports to completion.

Linux isn't going away, and while it's not a direct revenue generator
for the company it plays a strong strategic role I'm sure they don't
want to conceded to other tools.  Let's see what's needed to bring LC's
Linux version up to par to keep it competitive in that growing space.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I'm glad that worked out, Matthias.

Linux can be every bit as easy to work with as other OSes when you get
it like we get other OSes: pre-installed with the computer you
purchased, with all the necessary drivers and configs set up for that
particular hardware.

Dell, Acer, System 76, ZaReason, and others sell some nice machines with
Linux pre-installed.

The challenge with Linux is when we ask it to do something we never ask
of other OSes, to run on a machine designed specifically to run a
different OS.

Trying to install macOS on a PC not designed for it is as frustrating as
it is illegal.  And even though most PCs are designed specifically to
Microsoft's specs, I've seen more than a few cases where installing a
stock version rather than using the restore disk becomes DLL hell.

I've been lucky with Linux, in that all but one of my installs went
swimmingly right out of the box.  And for that one, Ubuntu discovered
the need for a driver for me, and prompted me to click a button to
install it.

In your case a one-line change to the boot config fixed it.  I find most
install issues are about that small, if one is the sort who doesn't mind
a few minutes looking up an answer and typing it in Terminal.

And if you're looking for a simpler out-of-the-box solution, for PCs
with modest resources you could also try Xubuntu or other lightweight
distros.  The chances of at least one of those working well on a stock
Asus with N270 is pretty good.

By expecting Linux to run on everything we throw at it, we're asking it
to work much harder than we ask of any other OS.  It's a testimony to
the teams that make it that it generally does.

And with Linux having become the de facto standard of modern computing
in all areas beyond the desktop, time spent learning it is a good
investment in the 21st century.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems


Matthias Rebbe wrote:

> adding that line to grub fixed it. Thanks for that.
>
> Matthias
>
>> Am 23.01.2018 um 15:08 schrieb Mike Bonner via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>>:
>>
>> If you can switch to the 4.15 kernel the screen issue may be fixed,
>> alternatively..
>> If you can get to a terminal screen with lubuntu, it looks like you can do
>> the following to fix the display problem.. (works for some, not all it
>> seems)
>>
>> sudo nano /etc/default/grub
>>
>> Simple editor 'nano' will open.
>> Add line
>> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
>> at the end of file.
>>
>> Save file and exit from nano.
>>
>> issue command:
>>
>> sudo update-grub
>>
>> reboot.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:00 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
>> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.
>>>
>>> My first try now was Lubuntu 17.10.1, Installation was quick and easy, but
>>> unfortunately there seems to be a bug in it which affects my graphic card
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639> <
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639>>
>>>
>>> Problem is that after startup 80% of the screen are shown black. I need to
>>> hibernate the system and wake it up again to get the whole screen shown.
>>>
>>> In a next step and when i have again some spare time i will try 16.04, if
>>> this is also not working then i will again “say good bye” to Linux as i did
>>> already some years ago and will move on with Mac OS X and Windows.
>>> At least for some time.  Linux and me - some kind of a love-hate. ;)
>>>
>>> Matthias


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Mainly because the OS is specifically written to prevent it. If it weren't, there would be no problem. The OS is compiled for a chipset, and as far as I know it's the same in all respects as a "Windows" PC.

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 09:45 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Trying to install macOS on a PC not designed for it is as frustrating as it is illegal.  


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
"illegal": that's funny, I thought EULA thingies were not legally binding.

Although, to be honest, spending "all that bother" installing Mac OS on
a machine that isn't designed for it seems
a bit pointless when Linux works on almost any machine you can throw at it.

Richmond.

On 23/1/2018 9:09 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> Mainly because the OS is specifically written to prevent it. If it weren't, there would be no problem. The OS is compiled for a chipset, and as far as I know it's the same in all respects as a "Windows" PC.
>
>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 09:45 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Trying to install macOS on a PC not designed for it is as frustrating as it is illegal.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
On 01/23/2018 09:45 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> I've been lucky with Linux, in that all but one of my installs went
> swimmingly right out of the box.  And for that one, Ubuntu discovered
> the need for a driver for me, and prompted me to click a button to
> install it.

I even have Ubuntu running on one of the original OLPC computers.

--
  Mark Wieder
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT - What linux do you recommend for older PCs?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > "illegal": that's funny, I thought EULA thingies were not legally
 > binding.

In what jurisdiction?

 > Although, to be honest, spending "all that bother" installing Mac OS
 > on  a machine that isn't designed for it seems a bit pointless when
 > Linux works on almost any machine you can throw at it.

And infinitely tinkerable. Customization on macOS is a choice between
blue or grey selection highlights. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode