[OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi

* This mail was posted by me last sunday but it's rejected because of length; so, trying again in 2 parts *

Dear Friends,

As I'm the one and only active LiveCode user in Turkey, I feel that the duty to inform you is on my shoulders.

I was in the very center of the protests for several days & nights, severely beaten by police and injured because of their toxic gas

and therefore I was away from the internet and forums and this user-list.

It's early in the morning here in Istanbul, I'm dead tired but I feel obliged to write these sentences.

This was the one and single biggest uprising in my country since 40 years.

A protest without a leader, without an organization, without a politic movement, without vandalism!

This was a civil protest to protect our trees {yes, just a couple of trees in a small park in the center square of Istanbul}…

The authorities decided to cut down 600 trees which are 40 to 80 years old to build a mall despite the court order not-to.

We went there and hugged the trees.

Lied under their shadows.

Read books to the police officers.

Offered them our water and snacks.

But after 3 days {on May 31st, Friday}, they {police ordered by government} decided to water cannon and pepper spray us

and burned our tents without prior warning and without any reason!!!

Our baby children was with us; they didn't care.

We didn't throw them stones, we didn't swear or curse; they didn't care.

We were hundreds but after the incident, thousands came by to support us.

Police's reaction to that {crowd gathering to support} was brutal, absolutely brutal and merciless, all night.

But we were not alone.

Next morning {Jun 1st, Saturday}, nearly 50 thousand came from all over Istanbul.

Police's reaction got harsher, few words exist to describe their hatred to us and I'm not that good in English, sorry :/

But then, in all cities of Turkey, uprisings begun.

Police's reaction got more and more and more harsh.

I don't know how this will end up.

But, we won't leave our trees and our rights alone.

No, it's not a *Turkish Spring(!)*.

Because, this is not a political movement.

This is a total civil protest.

Yes, there are 3 or 4 cars damaged and one shop glass broken.

Cars were police vehicles left alone and the shop belonged to the mayor of city of Istanbul.

There are a couple lumpens & hooligans among us who don't belong to this community.

We tried and mostly succeed to prevent them doing such things.

I, for one, extinguished two fires and prevent a big painting getting stolen from France Consulate's outer wall.

Thus, I think I can say there wasn't any vandalism for such a big uprising spread among many cities...

The government is still stubborn and our media {all, I mean, all TV's and newspapers} is dead silent.

There were beauty pageants and *the most weird cat in the world* documentaries and cheap soap operas in the TV channels

because of their fear from government.

Please think,

what would your media's reaction if hundreds of thousands of people were attacked by police for days and nights, in Times Square?

Well, I leave it to your imagination.

* end of part 1 *

Ender Nafi
~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
* here is part 2 *

I don't want any help whatsoever from you, 'cause this is our case, I know.
To stand up for our nature, for our cultural heritages, for our rights…
This post is just to inform you and for sharing my feelings.

But please, please remember:
This is not a political movement;
we, protesters, are hundreds of thousands as of now and we don't have any leaders, any organizations, think-tank's, parties, etc.
this is a civil and humane movement to protect our trees and parks and woods!
By the way, you can't imagine how much proud and happy I feel to see my people to rise up like this for such an innocent reason.
Girls and boys, gays and straights, youngs and elders, all together!
There's still hope for Homo Sapiens, after all :)

Ok, that's it, I'm too tired and too beaten up by police to write any other sentences :)

Here is BBC's news 3min. {same video, both youtube and facebook links, try facebook first} :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151437942042742
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMeyvG95zM

This is from CNN 11min. {same video, both youtube and facebook links, try facebook first} :
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151438794482742
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NCpPs_YhA

And please read this letter, too, as it's written with a better English than mine and it's explaining the situation more accurately:
http://defnesumanblogs.com/2013/06/01/what-is-happenning-in-istanbul/

With my kindest and warmest regards from Turkey,

Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
A little update to the situation:

As of now, the police is forced to retract from Taksim - Istanbul and Gezi Park is like the Smurf Village :)
I mean, everybody brings food and other goods; and whoever need something get whatever he/she needs.
Money is not allowed.
We built our library, our infirmary, our movie theatre, our restaurant(s); we even have a small orchard :)
It's a dreamland ;-)

This is what humanity can achieve without authority.
Here's a clear view of who we, the protesters, are:
http://onedio.com/haber/gezi-parki-eylemlerinden-gulumsetecek-ve-yureginizi-isitacak-24-fotograf-117116

Unfortunately,
other cities of Turkey are struggling with police and religious fanatics who act with the police and supported by police.
There are 3 murders by them and 4000+ wounded.

May God be with them…

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Andrew Kluthe-2
"This is what humanity can achieve without authority."

All that and much more as history has shown when cracks in the systems of
control open up enough for us to see something else being possible (even if
only for a little while). ;)  Let's de-legitimize the authority of any
would-be governors and officials from every corner of the globe.

Truly a touching account. Thanks.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> A little update to the situation:
>

> As of now, the police is forced to retract from Taksim - Istanbul and Gezi
> Park is like the Smurf Village :)
> I mean, everybody brings food and other goods; and whoever need something
> get whatever he/she needs.
> Money is not allowed.
> We built our library, our infirmary, our movie theatre, our restaurant(s);
> we even have a small orchard :)
> It's a dreamland ;-)
>
> This is what humanity can achieve without authority.
> Here's a clear view of who we, the protesters, are:
>
> http://onedio.com/haber/gezi-parki-eylemlerinden-gulumsetecek-ve-yureginizi-isitacak-24-fotograf-117116
>

> Unfortunately,
> other cities of Turkey are struggling with police and religious fanatics
> who act with the police and supported by police.
> There are 3 murders by them and 4000+ wounded.
>
> May God be with them...
>

> ~ Ender Nafi
>
> ~... together, we're smarter & stronger ...~

Andrew Kluthe

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Tim Selander
Thank you very much for reporting, and for acting!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, along with wishes that all
this will lead to a better society for your family and country.
I've never had the privilege to visit Turkey. But a few years ago
my sister in law took a year off work just to travel the world.
She came back with lots of stories, of course. When we asked her,
out of all the places she had been, which was the best, without
hesitation she said, "Turkey!" I hope some day to be able to
visit, so that I, too, can tell people that my favorite country
in the world is Turkey, too!

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan

On 6/7/13 7:05 AM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:
> As I'm the one and only active LiveCode user in Turkey, I feel that the duty to inform you is on my shoulders.

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
@Pierre,
Thank you, your moral support {I mean all of you wise people out there} is important to us, thank you.

@Tim,
I saw many tourists who defended Gezi Park with us against all that tear gas and police brutality.
That wasn't their cause, that wasn't their country, that wasn't their trees.
A couple of them, even, caught by police and likely to be deported; unfortunately.
They were real heroes.
Coming to Turkey just for sight-seeing but eventually defending the nature with us, arm-to-arm, hand-to-hand.
They are heroes, indeed.

@Andrew,
*Anarchy* is suffered from a deliberate semantic shift.
It's perceived as a bad word, like a *post-apocalyptic hell*.
In fact, it's not.
Gezi Park is the proof of it.
{check the pictures at the link in my last post, again}

Leaders and strong people are mostly not humanitarians {I exclude Chavez, he's awesome}.
Because leading people or gaining power {economic, politic, etc.} needs an endless, greedy ambition.
Most humanitarians lack this greed.
We're like smurfs or hobbits.
We love trees.
Raising trees don't bring money; rising skyscrapers and malls does :/

We don't want to fight.
Hobbits don't have much chance to the orcs or uruk-hai's.
But then again, it was Frodo who has brought the ring to the mount doom and thrown it into the fire :)

A little hope bushed out in me after this incident in Turkey.
A hope for my children and grandchildren.
Maybe they can live in a carbon-free world, where skyscrapers and sequoia's rise to the sky together...

With warmest regards from Turkey,

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

J. Landman Gay
On 6/6/13 5:51 PM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:

> A little update to the situation:
>

> As of now, the police is forced to retract from Taksim - Istanbul and Gezi Park is like the Smurf Village :)
> I mean, everybody brings food and other goods; and whoever need something get whatever he/she needs.
> Money is not allowed.
> We built our library, our infirmary, our movie theatre, our restaurant(s); we even have a small orchard :)
> It's a dreamland ;-)
>
> This is what humanity can achieve without authority.
> Here's a clear view of who we, the protesters, are:
> http://onedio.com/haber/gezi-parki-eylemlerinden-gulumsetecek-ve-yureginizi-isitacak-24-fotograf-117116
>

> Unfortunately,
> other cities of Turkey are struggling with police and religious fanatics who act with the police and supported by police.
> There are 3 murders by them and 4000+ wounded.
>
> May God be with them…

The photos say more than words can tell. You have some remarkable people
there. Take care of yourself, Ender.

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Andrew Kluthe-2
@Andrew,
*Anarchy* is suffered from a deliberate semantic shift.
It's perceived as a bad word, like a *post-apocalyptic hell*.
In fact, it's not.
Gezi Park is the proof of it.
{check the pictures at the link in my last post, again}

Agreed. :) You don't have to convince me. I have considered myself an
anarchist for going on 10 years, and have experienced many moments in that
time where I saw the power of people tired of ASKING for things getting
together to just DO them (albiet not as grand as what is happening right
now where you are). I was pleasantly surprised to see someone advocating
for this concept on this list.

Direct action gets the goods. Cheers.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 6/6/13 5:51 PM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:
>
>> A little update to the situation:
>>

>> As of now, the police is forced to retract from Taksim - Istanbul and
>> Gezi Park is like the Smurf Village :)
>> I mean, everybody brings food and other goods; and whoever need something
>> get whatever he/she needs.
>> Money is not allowed.
>> We built our library, our infirmary, our movie theatre, our
>> restaurant(s); we even have a small orchard :)
>> It's a dreamland ;-)
>>
>> This is what humanity can achieve without authority.
>> Here's a clear view of who we, the protesters, are:
>> http://onedio.com/haber/gezi-**parki-eylemlerinden-**
>> gulumsetecek-ve-yureginizi-**isitacak-24-fotograf-117116<http://onedio.com/haber/gezi-parki-eylemlerinden-gulumsetecek-ve-yureginizi-isitacak-24-fotograf-117116>
>>

>> Unfortunately,
>> other cities of Turkey are struggling with police and religious fanatics
>> who act with the police and supported by police.
>> There are 3 murders by them and 4000+ wounded.
>>
>> May God be with them…
>>

> The photos say more than words can tell. You have some remarkable people
> there. Take care of yourself, Ender.

Andrew Kluthe

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
@Jacque,
I'm also happy to see that *remarkable* people and to be with them.
As I said, there is still hope for Homo Sapiens :)

@Andrew,
I'm an anarchist since I've read *The Dispossessed* of Ursula Le Guin when I was a child.
But it was hard to believe that it can be realized.
Seeing that I was wrong, is liberating.

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Andrew Kluthe-2
One of my favorite books, ender.

Seeing a glimpse of another world through the cracks opening in this one
after so many years of just putting up with it is exhilarating.

Keep fighting, keep experimenting with ways to build new and exciting
social relationships with your neighbors in gezi park.

There are anarchists and many other concerned people in the west acting to
express solidarity and mobilize ourselves to shake things up in our own
parts of the planet. We see you and love you for what you are doing.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> @Jacque,
> I'm also happy to see that *remarkable* people and to be with them.
> As I said, there is still hope for Homo Sapiens :)
>
> @Andrew,
> I'm an anarchist since I've read *The Dispossessed* of Ursula Le Guin when
> I was a child.
> But it was hard to believe that it can be realized.
> Seeing that I was wrong, is liberating.
>

> ~ Ender Nafi
>
> ~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Andrew Kluthe

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Main Google
Ender

I was in Istanbul in September last year staying very near the park and loved the place - I definitely want to return. Thinking of you all, and hoping that this process leads to more respect and understanding, and less repression and religious bigotry.

Cheers

Gerry

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Paul Maguire
A very moving personal account.
Be aware (as your government must) that the eyes of the world are watching - you are not alone in your struggle.

Best wishes to you and yours, Paul.

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/07/2013 03:27 AM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:

> @Jacque,
> I'm also happy to see that *remarkable* people and to be with them.
> As I said, there is still hope for Homo Sapiens :)
>
> @Andrew,
> I'm an anarchist since I've read *The Dispossessed* of Ursula Le Guin when I was a child.
> But it was hard to believe that it can be realized.
> Seeing that I was wrong, is liberating.
>

> ~ Ender Nafi
>
> ~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Well, Ender, I have a few things to say . . .

1. The police, as far as I can see, in Turkey, are being very
heavy-handed indeed.

2.  While the initial protest may have been about some trees this seems
to have got beyond that.

3.  In theory I am what is called an Anarcho-Capitalist (no, that is not
a contradiction), in that I do
NOT like state control of almost anything, but I do believe in private
property and people being
able to enjoy the full fruits of their labours (rather than have them
stolen by a state that feels no need
to explain what it is doing with them).

4. In practise I am not an anarchist because my experience suggests that
humans are not up to the standard
of managing to function properly in a state of true anarchy, and I am
worried that in that sort of situation
criminal elements would seize control.

5. I admire the courage of all of you in Taksim square (regardless of
your political stance) and wish you
well, and, whatever the final outcome pray that the perpetrators of the
police outrages are brought to
justice.

6. As I live right next-door to you in Bulgaria (where we have a
sizeable Turkish-speaking majority)
this is more immediate to me that perhaps it is to those on the Use-list
who live in the West.

7. If you require any help (such as somewhere to have a "political
holiday" for a bit) feel free to write to me
off-list.

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

mwieder
Richmond <richmondmathewson@...> writes:

> I am worried that in that sort of situation criminal elements would seize
> control.

Hah! I was wondering when Richmond would join this, and I'm encouraged to
see that he's an optimist who doesn't think this is the current state of the
world. <g>

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 06/07/2013 08:30 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond <richmondmathewson@...> writes:
>
>> I am worried that in that sort of situation criminal elements would seize
>> control.
> Hah! I was wondering when Richmond would join this, and I'm encouraged to
> see that he's an optimist who doesn't think this is the current state of the
> world. <g>

Well put; let me rephrase that:

I am worried that a more vicious set of criminal elements will seize
control than those who currently are in control.

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Alejandro Tejada
Hi endernafi,

My best wishes for you and all your partners in this fight
for your rights to preserve the few natural environments
left in your cities.

Hopefully, those who want to crush the laws with their
power will reconsider the real cost of their ambitions.

Have a nice weekend!

Al

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Igor de Oliveira Couto-3
Hello Richmond!

Sent from my iPad

On 08/06/2013, at 2:45 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 4. In practise I am not an anarchist because my experience suggests that humans are not up to the standard
> of managing to function properly in a state of true anarchy, and I am worried that in that sort of situation
> criminal elements would seize control.

You may be interested in reading about Anarcho-Syndicalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-syndicalism

Kindest regards to all,

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
Hello all,

First, I can't tell how much glad I am to see your support.
Thanks for on-list and many, many off-list replies and good wishes.

I'd like to give you an update about the situation.

"I do wonder what happened last night when the PM arrived back in the country…" - Alan
We were wondering that too, but he didn't surprise us.
He repeated the same statements before the trip, during the trip and after the trip {a trip to Morocco & Tunisia}.
He insists not to calm things down.
Stubborn and arrogant, drunken with power.
He says :
*We won't get permission from a couple of fascist looters to make the mall.*
Yeah baby, we're the fascists, sure :))
{if you see words in blogs as "chapul, chapulling, tschapul, chapullier" that's the turkish word for *looter*}
And ok, don't get permission from us.
But, there's a court order, I mean, COURT ORDER AGAINST THE CONSTRUCTION.
I still can't comprehend how he can ignore this.
We just can't understand his mind.
It's a dangerous road, dangerous indeed.
Abdullah Gul, the president of the republic, and the other high-ranked party members made calming statements when Erdogan was in trip.
But he came against them too and got angry for their statements.
They're trying to calm down the nation and Erdogan is still stubborn.
He's like a bully from 6th grade, nothing more!
Childish sentences, anger and hatred.
His followers are alike.
He said that Monday 10th July, police will enter into Taksim to get us out.
Well, we're waiting, come to papa :)
It's like a giant vaudeville, like a Chaplin movie.

With kindest regards from Turkey.

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

enderNafi
Hello again,

"While the initial protest may have been about some trees this seems to have got beyond that."  - Richmond
Did you see the Firefly movie 'Serenity' ?
In the opening scene, a student asks the teacher: "Why the independents didn't like us, why didn't they want to get more civilized?"
Then child River Tam whispers: "We meddle!"

Erdogan meddles!

He decides how much children we should get,
he decides when and where we eat or drink,
he decides whether we should go to war,
he decides our home decorations,
he decides what we should read,
etc.

People don't like meddled with.

For long years, religious people suffered in Turkey.
They couldn't get dressed {turban, etc.} like they want,
they couldn't pray in public places,
they couldn't get jobs in government offices, military, etc.,
they couldn't read Quran freely.
We fought for them, for their independence.

But now, they have the power and doing the same thing they suffered.
It's a sad scenario repeating itself.

However, we're grateful for one thing to Erdogan.
He brought all that distinct and hating-each-other fractions of our society together.
In Gezi Park muslims and atheists are together, sunnis and alevis, turks and kurds, gays and straights, rightists and leftists,  …
Then he poured this most apolitic {non-political?} generation of the history to the streets.
Way to go Mr. Erdogan, job well done :)

From a street writing:
"A tree died, a nation awakened!"

Here is a short documentary regarding the last 10 days {8min.}:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIdREXpZBz4

What will happen, how will this end?
I don't know.
But I know one thing, I won't allow that trees to be cut off; no, sir!

Be well my friends,

With kindest regards from Turkey.

~ Ender Nafi

~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: [OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Andrew Kluthe-2
The various streams of thought in anarchy being talked about here is really
much more than I could have hoped for. An-cap, an-syn, whatever your cup of
tea is it's good to see there is some expression of anti-statist desires in
place I would often expect to be the last place to see such talk. It is
sometimes easy to get stuck in such a marginalized ideological ghetto (at
least in north america) and begin to feel like a bit of a wingnut for
wanting something more than what is currently offered.

Cheers.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Igor de Oliveira Couto
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello Richmond!
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 08/06/2013, at 2:45 AM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 4. In practise I am not an anarchist because my experience suggests that
> humans are not up to the standard
> > of managing to function properly in a state of true anarchy, and I am
> worried that in that sort of situation
> > criminal elements would seize control.
>
> You may be interested in reading about Anarcho-Syndicalism:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-syndicalism
>
> Kindest regards to all,
>
> --
> Igor Couto