OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Maybe it is just age… or whatever.

But every time I get the idea of "maybe I might see if I will do something in HTML5"

I go to a page like this, I start to get a headache and walk away.

https://reactjs.org/docs/integrating-with-other-libraries.html

BR

Re: OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Well, that page is like most computer manual pages: written in pompous,
over-jargonised language.

I am 100% sure that what that page actually covers up is fairly straight
forward.

I just had a look at Danny Goodman's "The Complete HyperCard 2.2" and
realised
that its 1144 pages could be "boiled down" to about 200: one of the many
reasons
why I have never managed to read more than a page at a go.

My wife and I have been reading through Plato's Republic recently: now
there's
a book that is easy to read, contains a lot of sense, and is still valid
about 2,500
years after it was written.

People who write programming guides should attend writing seminars first
and
be required to read texts that say what they have to say in a clear way
that does
not obfuscate everything with fancy words and obscure phrases.

Richmond.

On 10/1/2018 10:02 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> Maybe it is just age… or whatever.
>
> But every time I get the idea of "maybe I might see if I will do something in HTML5"
>
> I go to a page like this, I start to get a headache and walk away.
>
> https://reactjs.org/docs/integrating-with-other-libraries.html
>
> BR

Re: OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Richmond, now you're just grumbling.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, that page is like most computer manual pages: written in pompous,
> over-jargonised language.
>
> I am 100% sure that what that page actually covers up is fairly straight
> forward.
>
> I just had a look at Danny Goodman's "The Complete HyperCard 2.2" and
> realised
> that its 1144 pages could be "boiled down" to about 200: one of the many
> reasons
> why I have never managed to read more than a page at a go.
>
> My wife and I have been reading through Plato's Republic recently: now
> there's
> a book that is easy to read, contains a lot of sense, and is still valid
> about 2,500
> years after it was written.
>
> People who write programming guides should attend writing seminars first
> and
> be required to read texts that say what they have to say in a clear way
> that does
> not obfuscate everything with fancy words and obscure phrases.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 10/1/2018 10:02 pm, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is just age… or whatever.
>>
>> But every time I get the idea of "maybe I might see if I will do
>> something in HTML5"
>>
>> I go to a page like this, I start to get a headache and walk away.
>>
>> https://reactjs.org/docs/integrating-with-other-libraries.html
>>
>> BR

Re: OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
I wouldn't know wht that looked like. ;-)

Bob S

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 12:22 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, that page is like most computer manual pages: written in pompous,
> over-jargonised language.

Re: OT: Why I Probably Will Never, Ever Learn HTML%

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Swami,

You choose a topic that is really really advanced. React is not an easy or
lightweight framework, specially when you use it like most advanced web
developers do by using the flow architecture. Once you go through that
path, integration with other frameworks becomes really hard. For example,
React uses a virtual DOM, jQuery does direct DOM manipulation, integrating
them both is quite tricky. React + Flow uses a variation of the SAM pattern
for holding data which is radically different than what we LC are used to,
and also integration with backbone becomes trickier as backbone wants to
manage data.

The Web is basically its own operating system these days, there are easy
frameworks and hard frameworks. The JS community enjoys using a TON of
small libraries piled up like a castle of cards. Knowing how to build these
castles requires some work but it is not hard, it is more tedious than hard.

The good thing is that in JS land there are always alternatives. There are
multiple ways of solving anything, to the point that choosing to adopt a
solution is part of the problem. Personally, I don't enjoy React even
though Mozilla uses it a lot inside the new Firefox. I prefer Mithril JS or
Vue JS, both of which are very advanced but IMHO easier to work with.

One thing that is unique to the Web is that you can go from simple HTML +
CSS without any JS and have something useful that provides value to you and
your audience all the way to something that requires a PhD to understand.
There is space for everyone and the web grows with you.

Thats why LC web deployment (specially with new WASM stuff) will prove
quite a good thing, it will allow many of us to leap into the largest
deployment target ever.

om om
andre

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.