[OT] Windows app store

John
    I currently have apps available via Apple’s App Stores.  I like the convenience of selling through them.  I was thinking of taking the plunge and selling Windows apps.  The closest equivalent I can find is the Windows Store that is available via Windows 8 (I don’t currently have a computer running Windows so I assume that this is correct).

    According to Wikipedia, they will accept both traditional Windows apps and Metro style apps.  Before I take the plunge and set up a Windows computer, I was wondering if anyone had and experience with the Windows store.  I know Windows 8 is a minority player but this seemed like a potentially painless way to go.  Who knows, perhaps Windows 10 will take off and I would be in place.

Thanks,
John

Re: [OT] Windows app store

Colin Holgate-2
I believe that LiveCode doesn’t do Windows store yet. It does do Google Play, Amazon Appstore, and the Samsung store. Is it worth you expanding into those stores for now?

Re: [OT] Windows app store

John
Colin,

   Thanks for the reply.  I guess my email was a bit confusing.  I was referring to desktop rather than mobile apps.  I don’t have Windows installed on anything so I don’t know if it exists but, from what I can tell, there is a desktop app store associated with Windows 8.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks,
John

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I believe that LiveCode doesn’t do Windows store yet. It does do Google Play, Amazon Appstore, and the Samsung store. Is it worth you expanding into those stores for now?

Re: [OT] Windows app store

John
   Answering my own question after a bit more digging, apparently you can submit traditional desktop apps to the Windows store. There is a catch however, according to one Microsoft dev site, "you must first write your app using Visual Studio.”  I am not sure what that has to do with anything but it does seem to lock out LC apps.

   I was really hoping there was an equivalent to the MAS on the Windows side of things.

Thanks,
John

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 5:35 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Colin,
>
>   Thanks for the reply.  I guess my email was a bit confusing.  I was referring to desktop rather than mobile apps.  I don’t have Windows installed on anything so I don’t know if it exists but, from what I can tell, there is a desktop app store associated with Windows 8.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

>> On Oct 24, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that LiveCode doesn’t do Windows store yet. It does do Google Play, Amazon Appstore, and the Samsung store. Is it worth you expanding into those stores for now?

Re: [OT] Windows app store

Richard Gaskin
John wrote:

 >    Answering my own question after a bit more digging, apparently
 > you can submit traditional desktop apps to the Windows store.
 > There is a catch however, according to one Microsoft dev site,
 > "you must first write your app using Visual Studio.”  I am not
 > sure what that has to do with anything but it does seem to lock
 > out LC apps.

...and a great many others.

Seems the opposite of their historical strategy, doing everything they
can to make sure they maintain the largest app ecosystem on any desktop.

If they're going down this road of arbitrary exclusion I don't imagine
it'll last any longer than Apple's similar attempt with iOS SDK 4.0
Section 3.3.1.

  Software Design and Development for Desktop, Mobile, and Web