[OT] Working with Android devices

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I have recently got an Android tablet and am seeking advice on how best to work with it in general, not so much with Livecode yet. My main machine is a Mac. I would like to be able to easily swap files with the Android tablet via wifi and to remotely login to it from the Mac. I am hoping that I can do so over the local wifi rather than having to connect the Android tablet via USB.

I have a couple of Raspberry Pis on which I installed netatalk so that I can access their file systems in macOS Finder. It makes swapping data between the Mac and the Raspberry Pi a simple matter of drag and drop. Does anybody know if it is possible to install netatalk on an Android device?

I usually use SSH to run programs on the Raspberry Pi. I see that there is an app called SSHDroid. Has anybody used it or something similar?

When I want to access the Raspberry Pi desktop, I connect to the VNC server running on the Raspberry Pi. Is anybody connecting to their Android "tablet top” from a Mac? How do yo do it?

Sorry about going off topic.

Peter

Re: [OT] Working with Android devices

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Take a look at AirDroid, it's free and in the Play Store. It mounts the
Android device on the Mac desktop and allows dragging files in either
direction over your local network. It also allows a lot of other things
too, including running your Android apps on the Mac.

If you want a more shell type experience, use ADB, which you'll need to
install anyway if you develop apps. ADB is part of the Android SDK.

For some types of files you can just cable the device to the Mac and it
shows up as a volume on the desktop, but this has some limitations
depending on the manufacturer.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On September 14, 2018 4:56:53 AM Peter W A Wood via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have recently got an Android tablet and am seeking advice on how best to
> work with it in general, not so much with Livecode yet. My main machine is
> a Mac. I would like to be able to easily swap files with the Android tablet
> via wifi and to remotely login to it from the Mac. I am hoping that I can
> do so over the local wifi rather than having to connect the Android tablet
> via USB.
>
> I have a couple of Raspberry Pis on which I installed netatalk so that I
> can access their file systems in macOS Finder. It makes swapping data
> between the Mac and the Raspberry Pi a simple matter of drag and drop. Does
> anybody know if it is possible to install netatalk on an Android device?
>
> I usually use SSH to run programs on the Raspberry Pi. I see that there is
> an app called SSHDroid. Has anybody used it or something similar?
>
> When I want to access the Raspberry Pi desktop, I connect to the VNC server
> running on the Raspberry Pi. Is anybody connecting to their Android "tablet
> top” from a Mac? How do yo do it?
>
> Sorry about going off topic.
>
> Peter

Re: [OT] Working with Android devices

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I should clarify, you can't really run Android apps on your Mac, you run
them on the Android device and they display on the computer. I've used this
for presentations.

Also, I'd be surprised if any remote access method could actually log into
an Android device that has a screen lock. That would be a huge security
risk. ADB may allow it (I haven't looked into that) but it does require
cabling to the computer.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

Peter W A Wood wrote:

 > I have recently got an Android tablet and am seeking advice on how
 > best to work with it in general, not so much with Livecode yet. My
 > main machine is a Mac. I would like to be able to easily swap files
 > with the Android tablet via wifi and to remotely login to it from
 > the Mac.

How I share files (and a whole lot more) between all my computing devices:

https://www.nextcloud.com/

For my own use I have Nextcloud installed on a small server in my
office.  For sharing with clients I have another on a VPS.  Nextcloud
lets me sync with any number of servers, with fine-grained control over
what's synced and what's excluded.  Native clients available for macOS,
Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.

Re: [OT] Working with Android devices

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I use it too on Richards advice. Just a note of caution: If you sync your device with a Nextcloud device, the Nextcloud device considers itself as the master, and your device as a backup. That means that if you then tell the Nextcloud interface to exclude a folder that has already been synced, it will DELETE THE FOLDER FROM YOUR DEVICE!!!

I've gone around and around with the devs about this, and in their view this is how it ought to be. There is a long thread about this in their forums with a lot of people chiming in with the same degree dismay and consternation as I had, and so far as I can tell, there is no intention to change this model.

There have been some suggestions about consoling into the nextcloud device and changing some parameters, or a future update adding an option to prevent Nextcloud from treating it's own copy of a folder as the master repository. I only say that to say this: be VERY CAREFUL about how you set up your initial folder syncs. DO NOT THINK sync an entire folder, *then* go back and exclude some folders. This will cause you to lose data. If you need to sync a subset of folders, create a separate sync for each of those folders.

Bob S

> On Sep 14, 2018, at 09:26 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter W A Wood wrote:
>
> > I have recently got an Android tablet and am seeking advice on how
> > best to work with it in general, not so much with Livecode yet. My
> > main machine is a Mac. I would like to be able to easily swap files
> > with the Android tablet via wifi and to remotely login to it from
> > the Mac.
>
> How I share files (and a whole lot more) between all my computing devices:
>
> https://www.nextcloud.com/
>
> For my own use I have Nextcloud installed on a small server in my office.  For sharing with clients I have another on a VPS.  Nextcloud lets me sync with any number of servers, with fine-grained control over what's synced and what's excluded.  Native clients available for macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: [OT] Working with Android devices